Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2018 4:37:11 AM EDT
Hello guys,

Thinking about adding a AUG A1 to my collection but looking for some technical info.. I’ve only shot a couple of AUGs in the past but never had the chance to inspect/disassembly one..

1. I’m wondering if factory SA steyr can take mil surplus parts (minus the FA parts of course) since over here in europe I have the chance to collect spare parts like extractors, springs, firing pins etc. for a good price.

2. will NATO stock fits a SA gun without issue?

3. Will newer production barrels fit even older A1 gun?

Thanks
F.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 6:55:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, yes, and yes.

AJ
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 10:03:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, yes, and yes.

AJ
View Quote
Great so there are no useless complications like the older Colt SP rifles with offset pivot pins, sear block, etc.

Without starting a new thread.. does anybody have a barrel blue print with the threaded muzzle specs?
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Without starting a new thread.. does anybody have a barrel blue print with the threaded muzzle specs?
View Quote
Are you trying to do something special or just change muzzle devices? The stock AUG barrels are M13x1LH threaded, so standard metric 13mm x 1mm Left Hand pitch.

Removing the stock flash hider can be an experience - look down for @maleante responses and tutorial, and keep reading onto the next page for my own tips and wrench recommendations (maybe not as relevant in EU, but hopefully useful still).

in this thread
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks,

Not trying to do anything special:
The AUG I tried belongs to a friend of mine but unfortunately is one of the early gun imported that came with a unthreaded barrel.. so my friend just want an original fh installed.
Barrels are regulated items here so selling & replacing it is a expensive pita
A blueprint would be helpful
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks,

Not trying to do anything special:
The AUG I tried belongs to a friend of mine but unfortunately is one of the early gun imported that came with a unthreaded barrel.. so my friend just want an original fh installed.
Barrels are regulated items here so selling & replacing it is a expensive pita
A blueprint would be helpful
View Quote
If those are like the USR models which got brought into the USA then the whole barrel profile is different.  Depending on how closely your friend wants to match the factory he could be in for a fair bit of machining work... Personally I'd thread it to a convenient thread pitch for a sound suppressor or leave it alone.  @maleante may be along soon with all the correct dimensions, but I suspect the stock tulip flash hider would not look right on a threaded bull barrel like the USR had at least.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 8:20:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know of any barrel drawings that are public. Depending on the barrel profile your friend has, it might not be worth it to try to make it look original. A lot of work would be needed. A problem you might encounter is that some european AUG barrels are a different length than the typical US barrels (16.5", 18", 20", and 24"). I guess if you had a 22" barrel or whatever the mm equivalent is, then you could chop it down. To make it as close to a military barrel as possible you would also want to thread the exterior of the barrel. Fortunately I do know the exterior thread pitch - M18x1.5mm RH. With the US barrels, there is a slight difference in the length of muzzle threading area and the non-threaded step down between the shoulder and the threads. Whether it varies due "Friday at 5pm" made barrel or what, I don't know, but they are different.

I'm not a machinist and I wouldn't be a good source to get precise measurements from, perhaps someone skilled in the use of a dial caliper can step in with exact dimensions? Or you could just thread it for one of many AR type muzzle devices...

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 2:20:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you,

Since He already has a spare FH with jam nut my friend would be just happy with having the barrel thread and the FH installed.

Knowing the thread pitch what I still need to find out is the length of both the threaded portion and smooth part of the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thank you,

Since He already has a spare FH with jam nut my friend would be just happy with having the barrel thread and the FH installed.

Knowing the thread pitch what I still need to find out is the length of both the threaded portion and smooth part of the barrel.
View Quote
I’m having a custom Suppressor adapter  made for my AUG, I emailed Steyr regarding that same measurement and they said they’d get back to me
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#9]
If you could share the info one you get it from steyr I would really appreciate it

Back to my original post.. I’ve been doing some research and seems like a nato stock requires a dedicated FCG, is that true? If so Can the OEM FCG be modified to fit?

Thanks
F
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#10]
The hammer pack for the NATO stock just uses a different bolt hold-open. That part can be swapped in the pack.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top