Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2019 3:26:37 PM EDT
I'm looking at an AUG at a local shop. The barrel has 1601, and caliber marking on the gas block. What is it's rate of twist?
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 3:34:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think 1601 indicates the twist.

If 7 is marked, it's 1:7 but having no marking doesn't guarantee it's 1:9.

This is because Steyr also made 1:7 twist barrels without any marking to distinguish them.

So you'll have to check with a tight patch and rotating cleaning rod to know for sure.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay, I was hoping that the 1601 was a part number of a specific barrel assembly, with a known twist rate. I may have the dealer order one in the configuration I want. I think I want one of the longer rails.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 6:31:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Okay, I was hoping that the 1601 was a part number of a specific barrel assembly, with a known twist rate. I may have the dealer order one in the configuration I want. I think I want one of the longer rails.
View Quote
For FN made barrels onward, 1601 would be a date code. Sixteen being the year made, i.e. a 1301 marked barrel is a barrel made in 2013.

On the first batch of US made 1/7 barrels, there was a "7" stamped on the barrel in the area between the chamber and gasblock in line with the other markings. The second, and much later, batch of 1/7 barrels were made shortly before FN stopped making barrels for Steyr, and do not have any markings to indicate that a particular barrel is 1/7. They did come with a twist designation on hang tags looped through the muzzle though.

If you are wanting an AUG in a specific configuration or color, including 1/7 twist, a typical dealer will not be able to help you. Your choices are the factory at MSRP or Pete Athens of pjs-steyraug.com.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't think 1601 indicates the twist.

If 7 is marked, it's 1:7 but having no marking doesn't guarantee it's 1:9.

This is because Steyr also made 1:7 twist barrels without any marking to distinguish them.

So you'll have to check with a tight patch and rotating cleaning rod to know for sure.
View Quote
I'd say it's extremely likely that an unmarked (twist) barrel is 1/9. If I remember right, there were only 200 1/7 barrels made by FN that are not marked with the twist rate.

Excluding the ~1800 SDI made barrels (all marked 1/9), and assuming 15000 AUG A3s and M1s to date, then a buyer has a 1.5% chance of having an unmarked 1/7 twist FN barrel.

I'll have to check, but I'm pretty certain that the second batch FN 1/7 barrels are marked 1701.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'll have to check, but I'm pretty certain that the second batch FN 1/7 barrels are marked 1701.
View Quote
I can confirm mine is
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top