Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2018 9:48:33 PM EDT
Do any of our AUG owners have back up sights?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:02:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one of Pete's long rails with Magpul Pro's as my BUIS and a QD mount on my MRO. With the slight magnification it's hard to focus on your front sight through the optic because of the short radius.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:30:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Every AUG user with a built in optic has buis

(This is the Australian optic but the idea is the same)
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:40:54 PM EDT
[#3]
The original detachable 1.5 doesn't have the BUIS.

Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:42:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:43:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess you could argue the trough between the rails, and the shark's fin on the front are the BUIS, but having owned and  used this optic .... this "BUIS" is good for point and shoot distances only.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:06:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess you could argue the trough between the rails, and the shark's fin on the front are the BUIS, but having owned and  used this optic .... this "BUIS" is good for point and shoot distances only.
View Quote
All AUG optics suck as BUIS for anything other than point and shoot.

No back up sights for me on any of my guns, AUG or not. My money is better spent on something I'll actually use. An "operator", I am not.

If my go-to AUG has optic failure in the middle of a gunfight at my house, I have a much larger problem than an optic failure.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:09:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The original detachable 1.5 doesn't have the BUIS.

https://preview.ibb.co/gdOVwT/DSC_00417.jpg
View Quote
If you think that's bad, wait till you see the M1 optic "BUIS", it's laughable...
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 3:46:28 AM EDT
[#8]
hhhhhhhI like some type of BUIS on a defensive long gun if it has an electrical optic of some kind.

I use an M1 AUG  as my go to HD gun. Right now, it has the factory 3x scope on it plus an Aimpoint T-2 on top. For in the house, etc, the Aimpoint is primary and the 3x is effectively my BUIS. I'm switching the 3x optic to an extended rail. Will use the same T2 as primary. And I will include a set of Magpul MBUS. Good quality and not terribly expensive. Plenty durable too.

I'm not HALO jumping into North Korea with the AUG. And Aimpoints are very reliable and durable and can run off the same battery for years. But I just like having BUIS on the gun. I've got the room and weight is very little. So why not.

All said, if my primary optic is something with an etched reticle. Whether it's a non-illuminated optic like the Steyr AUG Scopes. Or it's something with illumination like an ACOG. I'd be fine running those by themselves. But hey, if I had room. A set of folding irons may find their way on there eventually.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 3:53:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you think that's bad, wait till you see the M1 optic "BUIS", it's laughable...
View Quote
Whadduya talkin about? Those are awesome.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#10]
My AUG ownership spans over 20 years, but I currently only have one without any sight equipment.

(1) Original "preban" AUG with 1.5 Donut of Death ... bought this one in the late 90's (guessing '96 or '97), but sold it when the domestic A3 was released.
(1) AUG A3 with Original Steyr Detachable 1.5
(1) AUG A3 with (added by me of course) Steiner 1-4
(1) AUG M1 with 1.5
(2) AUG M1 with 3x
(1) AUG M1 Long Rail with (added by me of course) AP CompM4

I currently only own an A3 without sight equipment.  I'm trying to decide which way to go. I'm not a super-secret-navy-beret-ninja-recon-squirrel, but do like BUIS on my guns.  I've been using "combat optics" since the early 1990's (does anyone remember the ARMSON...?).  I bought my first ACOG in '94 so I'm not a noob. However, the sight radius allowed on an AUG is stupidly short so I'm wondering if its worth the cost / effort.

ETA: I remember looking at NIB original AUGs at gunshows in the 80's and thinking ... who would want that crappy 1.5 donut scope, haha.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the extended rail AUG with a 3x24 ACOG on top. I really don't have room for a rear backup sight behind the ACOG. I don't loose any sleep over it. I figure if my ACOG is somehow ruined in a firefight I'll want to die anyways
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have the extended rail AUG with a 3x24 ACOG on top. I really don't have room for a rear backup sight behind the ACOG. I don't loose any sleep over it. I figure if my ACOG is somehow ruined in a firefight I'll want to die anyways
View Quote
You can always recite lines from Die Hard in an attempt to pacify your enemy with a great 80's action soliloquy.

Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You can always recite lines from Die Hard in an attempt to pacify your enemy with a great 80's action soliloquy.

https://image.ibb.co/dJiOJ8/600px_DH_AUG_1.jpg
View Quote
That's the current plan B
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I got a set of the Bobro low profile buis for my A3M1 with Pete's long rail and micro red dot (currently the new vortex crossfire, but I'd like to go to an aimpoint eventually). I turned the rear sight around to get just a little more length on sight radius, and because I didn't like the way flip up style rear sights sit so close to my face when down. It looks decent and is a very light weight setup, and works for what it is.

This so far has been the best solution I've found, including fixed hk style diopters and more typical flip up buis.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That's the current plan B
View Quote
Plan B? That's my plan A.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got a 1.5x Acog on one AUG and a 3x M1 scope on the other. No backups.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 12:40:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Someone posted this as an option for a similar thread a year or so ago, did anyone ever order a set and try them?

http://www.hightowerarmory.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=HTAMULTIBASE
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:47:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I have magpul pros on mine and switch between a red dot and an acog. I just like having them.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Someone posted this as an option for a similar thread a year or so ago, did anyone ever order a set and try them?

View Quote
Those look like a good low-profile, cost effective option.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#20]
I just noticed you have to add your own sights to the bases.  That changes the cost equation unless you have a set of dead Glock night sights laying around.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#21]
I added Troy Micros to my first A3.  I didn't care for the look or functionality.  Steyr has been really responsive to the US shooting market.  Maybe they'll release a "Tavoresque" rail with built in flip-ups if enough people ask for a factory BUIS option.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#22]
I added a dual illuminated triangle dot RMR to the top of my A3M1 3x, and am fairly happy with it.

With a 4.5" height over bore, the RMR does require a chin weld, which isn't bad.  Or, just cant the rifle to the left about 30 degrees with a cheek weld and use the left eye.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 4:43:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a Steyr 1.5x detachable scope, and if that thing goes down it's just my time. It's built like a brick shithouse. As mentioned, it has the "point and shoot" sight on top of the scope. I personally don't care for BUIS on an AUG, looks unnatural to me, but to each his/her own.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 9:05:47 PM EDT
[#24]
No backups just a TA31F

Link Posted: 5/30/2018 3:58:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I think we need a challenge where we only use the built in buis on Steyr optic mounts @ 50yds
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That is one heck of a light on there!
View Quote
Streamlight TLR-1HP.  About a 400 yard throw.  my buddy calls it the "Lighthouse that shoots bullets".
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 8:27:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I think we need a challenge where we only use the built in buis on Steyr optic mounts @ 50yds
View Quote
Everyone should post pictures of their 10rd groups.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 12:51:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My AUG ownership spans over 20 years, but I currently only have one without any sight equipment.

(1) Original "preban" AUG with 1.5 Donut of Death ... bought this one in the late 90's (guessing '96 or '97), but sold it when the domestic A3 was released.
(1) AUG M1 with 1.5
(2) AUG M1 with 3x

I currently only own an A3 without sight equipment.  I'm trying to decide which way to go. I'm not a super-secret-navy-beret-ninja-recon-squirrel, but do like BUIS on my guns.  I've been using "combat optics" since the early 1990's (does anyone remember the ARMSON...?).  I bought my first ACOG in '94 so I'm not a noob. However, the sight radius allowed on an AUG is stupidly short so I'm wondering if its worth the cost / effort.

ETA: I remember looking at NIB original AUGs at gunshows in the 80's and thinking ... who would want that crappy 1.5 donut scope, haha.
View Quote
My first AR came with an Armson OEG. I thought that was the cat's meow!
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh boy, a reason to break out my m1 with 3.0 optic, assuming it has some sort of back ups on it.
Yes, it is unfired.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 2:31:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

(1) AUG M1 with 1.5
(2) AUG M1 with 3x

View Quote
How about an ACOG with built in buis?

Link Posted: 6/6/2018 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Streamlight TLR-1HP.  About a 400 yard throw.  my buddy calls it the "Lighthouse that shoots bullets".
View Quote
Kinda want...
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Kinda want...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda want...
There's a new streamlight HLX that's even more powerful. $110ish.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 11:28:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

(1) AUG M1 with 1.5
(2) AUG M1 with 3x

View Quote
Not sure if you made your decision yet, but I can chime in.  I had an M3A1 and it was a joke.  I tried the 1.5x optic and its even worse.  It's like looking through a toilet paper tube.  Go with the Long Rail and put on the CompM4.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 11:46:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Not sure if you made your decision yet, but I can chime in.  I had an M3A1 and it was a joke.  I tried the 1.5x optic and its even worse.  It's like looking through a toilet paper tube.  Go with the Long Rail and put on the CompM4.  
View Quote
In the 20+ years that I've had an AUG with a 1.5x optic, I've never had an issue with it
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 9:57:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Those look to be a nice option.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 4:32:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Nice ADI scope. Haven’t seen one of those in about a decade.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 4:55:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#40]
I run a comp M2 (shoot, maybe it’s a PRO or M3, I forget) with KAC BUIS. I prefer them. Bullet proof, small and very accurate.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:55:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Whoa, that is a slick idea!

Kind of like the dovetail scope rings we did for the early batches of Talon mounts, only for picatinny- why didn't I think of that logical extension of the idea???  

Sven
Manticore Arms
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those look to be a nice option.
Whoa, that is a slick idea!

Kind of like the dovetail scope rings we did for the early batches of Talon mounts, only for picatinny- why didn't I think of that logical extension of the idea???  

Sven
Manticore Arms
Does this mean you may be looking at this as something you might offer?
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:29:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Manticore already offered it on the Talon mounts, just wasn't used much. I know I'd be up to see that on them, although I might just stick with the integrated optic and get the hightower dovetail mounts.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:56:42 PM EDT
[#43]
I had KAC micros on my CQB when I owned it. The rear would fold all the way past horizontal up against the rear rail ramp, clean and low profile. Also had a TA33 on it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 1:40:18 AM EDT
[#44]
ACOG with troy micros, I have the original M3 available here with the longer rail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top