Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2021 1:47:24 PM EDT
Got a USR with the 1.5x optic .. it's nice and accurate, but i'm unable to engage steel at 300 - 500 yards ... the donut is in the way.
I was hoping to get some info on how to get a picatinny rail for it to use aftermarket optics. so far no luck, they are like unicorns ...

if you have any insight how to get one , or get one made , please let me know. thank you!
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#1]
If you look long enough, you'll find an old A2 rail for sale, but I wouldn't go that route.

Every time you slide something on/off the top of the A2/USR receiver, you'll loosen the interface (which is aluminum). If it's tight now (no play in the optic assembly) then I'd leave it alone.

I suggest buying an A3 or A3M1 if you want a picatinny rail on top, and leave the optic on that receiver.

If you don't want 2 AUGs then someone will trade with you I'm sure. The Austrian A2 receivers (including the USR) are far less common.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Try a 36/300 zero. That should put the plates closer to the center of the donut at 300+
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 3:57:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you look long enough, you'll find an old A2 rail for sale, but I wouldn't go that route.

Every time you slide something on/off the top of the A2/USR receiver, you'll loosen the interface (which is aluminum). If it's tight now (no play in the optic assembly) then I'd leave it alone.

I suggest buying an A3 or A3M1 if you want a picatinny rail on top, and leave the optic on that receiver.

If you don't want 2 AUGs then someone will trade with you I'm sure. The Austrian A2 receivers (including the USR) are far less common.
View Quote

This is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:18:13 AM EDT
[#4]
When I got my USR I found an A2 rail on gunbroker pretty easily.

Works great.

It has set screws to take out play so ignore those who think it will work loose.

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Works great.
It has set screws to take out play so ignore those who think it will work loose.
View Quote
Yes, it does work great, and if you only swap the top end a few times (ever) then it probably won't work loose (and you can spray penetrating oil into the rear of the rail's interface prior to removal, in order to mitigate the risk).

But if you swap between rail and optical housing several times per year, yes it will absolutely loosen the fit, and the optic housing doesn't have set screws to tighten it (although they could possibly be retrofitted into it).

Set screws are not an ideal substitute for pure surface area contact however.
This is why Steyr ditched the T-shaped aluminum interface in favor of just bolting the top on via Heli-Coils with the A3 and A3M1. Steel mounting hardware FTW.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes, it does work great, and if you only swap the top end a few times (ever) then it probably won't work loose (and you can spray penetrating oil into the rear of the rail's interface prior to removal, in order to mitigate the risk).

But if you swap between rail and optical housing several times per year, yes it will absolutely loosen the fit, and the optic housing doesn't have set screws to tighten it (although they could possibly be retrofitted into it).

This is why Steyr ditched the T-shaped aluminum interface in favor of just bolting the top on via Heli-Coils with the A3 and A3M1. Steel mounting hardware FTW.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Works great.

You would have to have some kind of mental illness to be constantly switching back and forth from the factory optic.

It blows.

Your concerns are overblown to the point of absurdity.

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:53:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File

A2 4LYfE DOG

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:58:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, Steyr redesigned the interface (and eliminated the "optic QD by bullet tip" feature) because these concerns are absurd.

It's not a problem for you or me, and maybe not for the OP either.
Some guys, on the other hand, like to reconfigure firearms rather often.

Nice AUG.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:40:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Great looking AUG.

The factory A2/USR optic rail does not have set screws. I had my receiver and optic interface wear to the point that there is a little bit of play in the optic after removing the optic, installing the rail, then reinstalling the optic. I asked Pete Athens and he told me to pick one and not change it out.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:58:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had my receiver and optic interface wear to the point that there is a little bit of play in the optic after removing the optic, installing the rail, then reinstalling the optic.
View Quote
Wow, so just 2 swaps? Are you the original owner? @JoshNC

It could likely be tightened with some judicious peening... if you (or your gunsmith) could find the correct thickness of steel plate to support a punch (by placing the plate underneath the side of the rail) some material could be extruded outward in a few spots. If it's done right the finish won't be damaged.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:34:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Great looking AUG.

The factory A2/USR optic rail does not have set screws. I had my receiver and optic interface wear to the point that there is a little bit of play in the optic after removing the optic, installing the rail, then reinstalling the optic. I asked Pete Athens and he told me to pick one and not change it out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Great looking AUG.

Ah I thought they all had set screws.

I don't know who made this one but it's got two 1/4" tapped holes for some beefy set screws.

It's solid.

Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:04:43 AM EDT
[#12]
The AUG Z, a semi-auto sporter for the European market, has the A2 rail with setscrew as standard.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 1:38:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wow, so just 2 swaps? Are you the original owner? @JoshNC

It could likely be tightened with some judicious peening... if you (or your gunsmith) could find the correct thickness of steel plate to support a punch (by placing the plate underneath the side of the rail) some material could be extruded outward in a few spots. If it's done right the finish won't be damaged.
View Quote

I was the second owner. The first owner never shot it and I doubt he ever removed the optic.

It’s not so loose that it affects anything other than my OCD. I just left the optic in place. I’ve easily made hits out to 400 with it. The M1 with Corvus optic rail is AUG perfection in my opinion. I need to pick up a nx8 for that purpose.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top