Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2018 10:28:15 PM EDT
I understand the thrust piece needs to be removed from the guide rod to access the spring.

Are the thrust pieces thread locked in place? It’s an Austrian factory bolt carrier.

I don’t have a real vice, so my plan is to support the guide rods with planks and secure them in a Workmate - would that be enough support?

Simple job, but wanted to ask before wrenching on it since replacements are so expensive.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 11:37:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I suggest sending it to PJ
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 12:38:29 AM EDT
[#2]
They're all Austrian. Those springs are pretty heavy, if you don't have the proper setup I'd be wary...
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 3:33:29 AM EDT
[#3]
This brings an interesting question to mind: what's the lifespan of of the AUG recoil springs? Mil spec AR recoil springs are supposed to last 3,000 rounds but I don't think I've ever heard a number for the AUG...
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I don’t know the life span on them. Mine are on around 6K cycles and remain strong.

They don’t need replacing yet, I just want to remove one and test function without it. It’s not a self-loading rifle, it’s a man-op without gas system.

The vise was able to support the recoil rods sufficiently to prevent movement, so I tried undoing a thrust piece and it didn’t budge a millimetre. I’ll not try again without further info, just in case.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:01:01 AM EDT
[#5]
The thrust pieces have a lot of red loctite on them, they are impossible to remove without using a torch to heat them up and break the loctite.

You have to use even heat all around the chrome rod and at least one inch inwards, do not apply the heat in one place only for it will dis color the chrome rod.

If done correctly no vise is even needed.

Link Posted: 4/9/2018 1:43:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks very much, Pete.

I hit it for about six seconds with a torch and that was enough. Luckily they were economical with the threadlock on this one. Gloves and a towel were enough to safely remove the spring, and the wrench wasn't needed after intially loosening the thrust piece. Watch out for the tiny guide that sits inside the recoil rod - that would be easily lost.

It was a lot less of a nuisance than stripping and reassembling the trigger pack.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#7]
What is the "tiny guide"? Is it the little plunger that the stock's rods contact?
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:17:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks very much, Pete.

https://i.imgur.com/DuFQ4w1l.jpg

I hit it for about six seconds with a torch and that was enough. Luckily they were economical with the threadlock on this one. Gloves and a towel were enough to safely remove the spring, and the wrench wasn't needed after intially loosening the thrust piece. Watch out for the tiny guide that sits inside the recoil rod - that would be easily lost.

It was a lot less of a nuisance than stripping and reassembling the trigger pack.
View Quote
Did you do both sides?
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What is the "tiny guide"? Is it the little plunger that the stock's rods contact?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Carrier recoil rod bushing is the correct term, I think. Yes, pretty sure that's how they interact.

Quoted:

Did you do both sides?
No, I only needed one removed for testing. Charging effort is now roughly equivalent to an AR-15.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#10]
You removed one of the recoil springs to make charging easier? That has to affect reliability...
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You removed one of the recoil springs to make charging easier? That has to affect reliability...
View Quote
Assuming he is in Great Britain then they can only have straight pull, so I don't think it will matter as there is no recoil.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Assuming he is in Great Britain then they can only have straight pull, so I don't think it will matter as there is no recoil.
View Quote
Yes, we're stuck with straight-pull actions. I like the AUG very much and it's served me well almost ten years now, but I gave up on rapid, accurate shooting with the standard springs.

*Not my video:

Steyr AUG-Z 5.56mm UK Straight Pull at Bisley
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 6:32:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A potential solution for people in less free States of the U.S. as well?
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 9:03:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

A potential solution for people in less free States of the U.S. as well?
View Quote
Definitely. I tried a year or two ago to see if steyr was interested in bringing in the straight pull guns. Didn't go anywhere. Unfortunate as there was potential there for conversions to semi-auto A2's.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 7:38:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Neat!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top