Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2023 9:37:45 AM EDT
Are you guys seeing any difference in accuracy between the new 1x28 threaded and Nitrided Steyr 16" vs 20" barrels?

I've been trying to not buy a 20", but the sirens keep calling.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 10:03:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't and I have both.ent
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 10:46:52 AM EDT
[#2]
There shouldnt be an accuracy difference based on barrel length..
Velocity difference on the other hand...
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 10:59:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#4]
From my fairly extensive testing of different AUG barrels, the 20" barrels are typically the most accurate.
Below are what you can expect from each barrel using the FMJ ammo they prefer. (they all typically like Swiss Geco 223 55gr FMJ and German Norma 223 55gr FMJ)
All 10rd group, at 100yd.

-Steyr Austrian CHF CL 20" : ~1.5MOA
-Steyr US made CHF nitride 20" : ~1.5MOA
-FN US made CHF CL 20" : ~1.75MOA
-ADI Australian made CL 20" USR barrel : ~2.0MOA
-Steyr Austrian CHF CL 16" : ~2.0MOA
-Sabre Defense US made CHF CL 16" : ~2.0MOA
-FN US made CHF CL 16" : ~2.0MOA
-Steyr US made CHF nitride 16" : ~2.25MOA

Just some example groups (16" Sabre & 20" Steyr US) :

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 11:54:35 AM EDT
[#5]
See my thread here:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/AUG-Barrel-Comparison-1-9-Austrian-20-vs-1-7-FN-16/43-522944/

Basically, my 20" Austrian pre-ban CHF/CL barrel shoots 25%-50% tighter groups my 16" FN CHF/CL barrel
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys! Interesting data points.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#7]
A long time ago there was a variant of the AUG called the USR with a 20-in ultra heavy Target barrel and deep dish crown. It was known to be a unusually accurate barrel.

Due to its unusually high accuracy it attracted some testing and experimentation. During this testing experimentation it was discovered that 18 in was The Sweet spot.

Because of this, PJ actually commissioned some 18-in USR barrels. They are extremely rare.

Later MSAR did extensive testing that revealed the most accurate barrel length was 18 in there was some sort of harmonic Sweet spot there.

Relatively recently by comparison but still several years ago PJ commissioned some 18-in us made Aug barrels. They're not cut down from a 20 inch PJ actually had them make 18-in bbls. That's because there's some sort of harmonic Sweet spot there. These are extremely rare I actually own one but I've never fired it because of how rare it is and because I'm not a marksman of any sort.

There is a recurring theme here. I'll let someone else smarter than me figure it out.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 3:23:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A long time ago there was a variant of the AUG called the USR with a 20-in ultra heavy Target barrel and deep dish crown. It was known to be a unusually accurate barrel.

Due to its unusually high accuracy it attracted some testing and experimentation. During this testing experimentation it was discovered that 18 in was The Sweet spot.

Because of this, PJ actually commissioned some 18-in USR barrels. They are extremely rare.

Later MSAR did extensive testing that revealed the most accurate barrel length was 18 in there was some sort of harmonic Sweet spot there.

Relatively recently by comparison but still several years ago PJ commissioned some 18-in us made Aug barrels. They're not cut down from a 20 inch PJ actually had them make 18-in bbls. That's because there's some sort of harmonic Sweet spot there. These are extremely rare I actually own one but I've never fired it because of how rare it is and because I'm not a marksman of any sort.

There is a recurring theme here. I'll let someone else smarter than me figure it out.
View Quote

I have the 20" USR barrel as well.
Just FYI, it isn't "ultra heavy" profile and frankly it isn't that impressive accuracy wise.

It isn't that accurate with the Swiss Geco 223 55gr FMJ and German Norma 223 55gr FMJ which are both about 1.1-1.6MOA capable 10rd 100yd through the 20" Steyr Austrian and Steyr US barrel. The USR barrel also wasn't that impressive with Australian Outback 55gr blitz, Magtech 77gr OTM.
I updated my list above to include the USR barrel info.

I don't know if the 18" barrel performance is that much better but I have my doubts.
Many times people just want to believe what is hard to get/rare means better in accuracy/performance as well. Some examples being SG550, WA2000, PSG1.
I have SG550 and can confirm it is about 1.75MOA whith ammo it likes. Pretty good, but it isn't amazing like other people might say.
You can find WA2000 testing online, also not that impressive.
PSG1 is pretty good but the often parroted HK guaranteed "50rd 1MOA group at 300m" info is wrong.
Per HK documentation I have below, it is average of 5 sets of 10rd groups, not a single 1MOA 50rd group. It is also saying "rifle will do as good as ammo can do per ammo manufacturer", which isn't a HK guarantee but on the ammo company.

Figure I share this b/c I see misinformation way too often when talking rifle accuracy.
People simply expect too much and spread misinformation/disinformation too often.

I figure I share this parts list advertisement that was included in my USR rifles.
I was a bit surprised by the high prices as this was back in 1997. After inflation rate, some of these would be considered "ridiculously expensive" today.
($1400 2023 money for 18" barrel for example)

Link Posted: 4/27/2023 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Steyr states their most accurate Austrian barrel is the 16".

I'll post the Steyr Factory Literature stating such
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 6:12:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I haven't tried any of the new Augs, but back many years ago when I was doing more 3 gun shooting I had a black 16" and a green 20" Steyr Aug.  There was no accuracy difference between the two...at least not any difference that would make a difference in the 3 gun matches that went out to about 500 yards.  I would normally shoot 68-69 grain BTHP match bullets because they had less wind drift than the 54-55 grain bullets.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Steyr states their most accurate Austrian barrel is the 16".

I'll post the Steyr Factory Literature stating such
View Quote

That's probably comparing 20" Austrian made to 16" Austrian made
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's probably comparing 20" Austrian made to 16" Austrian made
View Quote

10-4 correct.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top