Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2021 11:35:06 PM EDT
Anyone have any input as to which one is best? Primarily concerned with illuminator. I’ve also been looking at the holosun 321 too. Any feedback appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:10:17 AM EDT
[#1]
All are lackluster as far as the illuminator goes.

Consider the D2 or saving up for a MAWL
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:23:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I’m trying to get one that’s going to still have some warrantee behind it instead of going FP
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:30:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Steiner D2 is regarded as having one of the best illuminators. Size and weight are an issue. The MAWL is also highly regarded as far as illumination goes.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:56:48 AM EDT
[#4]
For the record I’m not planning on shooting much farther than 150yds
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:58:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:29:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Go to about the 18:25 minute mark of this video... there is some good comparison video of some different lasers with a focus being this is a review for the MAWL...

B.E. Meyers MAWL, the best IR device for NVG's

The video may or may not be helpful with your choice, but found the comparisons to be helpful in visualizing how the tested models stack up against one another ...

I wish they would have included a civi model in the testing to give a better comparison, but having used a DBAL A3 and seeing how lackluster the illuminator is, this got me seriously looking at the MAWL... just waiting for it to come in stock at TNVC...

Here is another Vid that shows some comparisons of civi lasers as well as FP..

Start about the 13 minute mark...

TREX TALK: White Lights and Laser Beams

Perst, DBAL and Mawl start about 19:25... just turn the volume down...

Another vid that compares a D2, ATPIAL-C and PEQ-15 that someone previously posted...

DBAL D2 VS ATIPAS-C VS PEQ15 laser pointer comparison
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:39:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Out of the 2 the A3 will have the better illuminator. It's cleaner, easier to adjust, and has a further reach, but not by much and neither will struggle to reach past 75 yards except in areas with almost no visible light then it maybe @ 125 yards. Their have been several post where users have pulled out the pressure pad ports out of the laser and NVI has said all the ones he has seen was from using non factory L3/Steiner pressure pads. I'm not saying low powered illuminators are useless because they are not and they do have their place when trying to have the lowest usable IR signature possible.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:42:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Out of the 2 the A3 will have the better illuminator. It's cleaner, easier to adjust, and has a further reach, but not by much and neither will struggle to reach past 75 yards except in areas with almost no visible light then it maybe @ 125 yards. Their have been several post where users have pulled out the pressure pad ports out of the laser and NVI has said all the ones he has seen was from using non factory L3/Steiner pressure pads. I'm not saying low powered illuminators are useless because they are not and they do have their place when trying to have the lowest usable IR signature possible.
View Quote

are you saying things like the Hot Button are damaging DBALs?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:45:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are tons of reports of the DBAL input getting pulled out from aftermarket switches. Started sometime last year and is a Steiner issue it seems they have not addressed yet. I have the Modlite ModButton Lite and it started to pull the plug out when I was disconnecting it. Had to make a shim
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Dbal d2 12.5oz $1500
Mawl 10.1oz and $2600.

Dbal has the price point and the bang for buck.
Mawl has the switchology and the look at me I am cool factor.

Pick according to your needs, budget, and IG/online followers to impress.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

According to Glynn from NVI yes that's what he has stated.

I've only used L3 or Steiner plugs on OTAL, 9007, D2 and never had a problem although I'm not constantly disconnecting the pressure pad.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:26:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Just a FYI...Engineering at Steiner have addressed the issue and are fixing the issue as we speak.
View Quote

Sweet. Any details on what they will do for current users? Recall maybe? @TNVC
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the info. I think I’m gonna go with the D2 after all the input, now to find one used/in stock
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:31:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Just a FYI...Engineering at Steiner have addressed the issue and are fixing the issue as we speak.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are tons of reports of the DBAL input getting pulled out from aftermarket switches. Started sometime last year and is a Steiner issue it seems they have not addressed yet. I have the Modlite ModButton Lite and it started to pull the plug out when I was disconnecting it. Had to make a shim

good to know, thank you.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Interesting
I have a D2 coming at some point and would like to use a hot button
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:13:15 PM EDT
[#19]
All 3 listed suck, the 321g is the least expensive for the level of suck. Agree with either going D2 or MAWL but also consider a Perst3. They are powerful full power units, built well, but hard to find in stock and have concerns on warranty coverage depending on what importer you buy from.

Similar to the discussed issues with the D2, the LS321 (and other similar holosun units) work with a steiner/crane plug as well but the plug on the unit threads in and was not properly loctited on mine. Rotating the plug with it in the unit caused it to unscrew the female plug from the housing and instantly tear the electrical leads free. I was able to repair it myself since the unit isnt purged and I'm good with that kind of thing. Otherwise it would have required a trip back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top