Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2018 9:16:45 AM EDT
Crazy things are happening.  ATF charged my card for our FFL application on 9/3/18, got the call yesterday to set up our appointment for interview on 9/25/18.  Seems to me like 22 days is a wildly short time.

Any insight on what the turn around is from interview to license in hand?

And what can I do to make sure that the interview is expedient and quick?  There are 3 of us involved, and I am the most researched on the topic as a whole.  Are there specific things I need to show or teach the other 2 about beforehand?  Our agent seems pretty straight laced, cut to the chase type of gal, so I don't think there will be much extra talk beyond the actual regulations and laws.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 12:06:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Crazy things are happening.  ATF charged my card for our FFL application on 9/3/18, got the call yesterday to set up our appointment for interview on 9/25/18.  Seems to me like 22 days is a wildly short time.
View Quote

That's very fast. The time is dependent on your local ATF office and the workload of the Industry Operations Investigator who is assigned.

Any insight on what the turn around is from interview to license in hand?
View Quote
Typically its about two weeks from the interview.

And what can I do to make sure that the interview is expedient and quick?
View Quote
Know your ATF regulations.
Read everything at atf.gov: the FAQ's, the actual portions of the CFR pertaining to commerce in firearms, Rulings, Open Letters, and especially the instructions on the Form 4473 and Multiple Sale of Handguns form. Those instructions will answer 87% of the questions a dealer will have regarding a sale or transfer, but sadly few take the time to read them.

There are 3 of us involved, and I am the most researched on the topic as a whole.
View Quote
Every RP on your license needs to be damn clear on what the regs are. If one of your partners screws up, guess who is also at fault?

Are there specific things I need to show or teach the other 2 about beforehand?  
View Quote
At least do a read aloud of the Form 4473.

Our agent seems pretty straight laced, cut to the chase type of gal, so I don't think there will be much extra talk beyond the actual regulations and laws.
View Quote
IOI, not an agent. If you are talking to an agent then things have gone horribly wrong.
The "interview" isn't her asking you questions, it's the IOI reviewing a checklist of each topic material to an FFL. She will give you a copy at the end. It would make things easier on all involved if all three of you knew your stuff before the meeting.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 1:23:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.  Forgot what the title was IOI not agent!  The other 2 know firearms well, just not as much on the law side.  We have been reviewing and going over information for the past few months in preparation, but I just want to be sure if there are any (semi) niche things we need to be sure to touch on before going into it.  We all 3 have lists of questions prepared.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:10:06 PM EDT
[#3]
generally speaking you could expect a call in about 60 days from the time you were charge / check cashed.

in some very isolated or remote communities in the middle of BFE it might take longer because they have to setup and scedule the IOI to come all the way out that way.

Be sure you have ALL your ducks in a row right away, articles of org, biz licenses, EIN (if you want one, but i'd advise it), tax ID numbers (state and local) etc. etc. etc.  They DO check up on this stuff.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 9:17:49 PM EDT
[#4]
The interview is not really an interview.  The IOI goes over a check list and mine went through the 4473 and marked up each area with the GCA section that was applicable.  My application turn time was 35 days from mailing it in to getting my FFL in the mail.  As far as knowing the regs, you need to know the regs.  They tell how to get and keep your FFL and how to do your records and stay in compliance.

I had my 2nd inspection today.  2nd time since getting my FFL in 2010.  The IOI looked through my A/D book, looked at my last year's worth of 4473, checked my inventory safe for serial number accuracy.

It was a pleasant experience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top