Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2018 9:21:15 PM EDT
The Ejection Port Cover was standard issue for the ARX160A2/SF (special forces) rifle.  The 160A2/SF was issued in a kit-like configuration that came in a foamed hard case with an extra barrel (sbr) and accessories. Photos of the A2/SF “kit” were published around 2012 but we’re quickly deleted off the web. I’m probably one in a very short list of sumbishes that has copies of the photos.

The Ejection Port Cover was mounted on the left side and it was specifically designed to prevent/ divert suppressor gas blow back away from the operators face.

The Cover is more rare than an albino Loch Ness Monster and photos of the ARX160A2/SF in kit form are basically none existent.

Here’s my rendition of the ARX EPC.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 9:24:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I love my ARX but hate shooting it suppressed - this would be a nice simple fix to the problem.  Maybe someone will offer the part
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#2]
The port cover featured in the photo is on its way to a fellow member, should he decide to take it. :) I’m hoping for positive feedback.

Have you ever seen a photo of the factory EPC?
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 10:20:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you Jimmy! I'll put it on and take it to the range when it arrives. Can't wait to try it out with my Griffin alpha.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 10:24:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, Sir. Thank You. Please come back and post a report.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 8:21:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love my ARX but hate shooting it suppressed - this would be a nice simple fix to the problem.  Maybe someone will offer the part
View Quote
That would be Jimmy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Modified the design a tad. Still working on it...

Link Posted: 5/2/2018 12:10:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I read a review about the ARX that was posted over on M4Carbine dot net. The OP said he was a contractor over in the sandbox somewhere training locals on the ARX. He mentioned a cover like this for the ARX. When I read about it, I wanted one.  I called Beretta about buying one and they said it wasn’t on their parts list.

Are these for sale somewhere?
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 3:08:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm waiting to hear back from Beretta/Italy but all indications are that the subject EPC was strictly a military contract item.  It never entered the stream of commerce, either here or abroad.

A newly re-designed [proto2] EPC has been shipped to a fellow member that has graciously agreed to test for form and function.  His reports have been extremely detailed and well documented.  I'll report back with his findings and conclusions as soon as we exchange relevant comm.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 2:28:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Your right, I can't find a picture online of this....thats rare.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#10]
No worries. I intend to post “The Photo” on this Thread.

You know, after careful review of the subject photo it appears the factory EPC has gas channels molded/formed from underneath the body to help direct suppressor blowback toward the muzzle. Those Italian engineers are smart sumbishes!! :)
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Update:

Today I received a detailed report with photographs pertaining to the testing of the EPC / Prototype-2. All indications are that the current EPC Proto-2 virtually eliminates suppressor gas blowback toward the operators face. BUT with a positive, there’s always a negative. The issue is that a small amount of blowback is escaping vertically between the cover and the rifle, directly above and below the ejection port. The escaping blowback is leaving a nasty trace of powder residue on the rifle but I think I can eliminate this by tweeking the design.

My next design (EPC / Prototype-3) will have shallow gas channel(s) molded into the EPC body that should aid to divert most of the blowback, forward.

I have not gotten clearance to disclose the name of the member/ Testor but he has been phenomenal in every aspect of this project. Simply put, I couldn’t do this without his participation and detailed feedback. Thanks, Bro..!

More to come in the near future..
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Jimmy, is their a way to make one to were you could have the charging handle on the same side as the ejection port is on?
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Jimmy, is their a way to make one to were you could have the charging handle on the same side as the ejection port is on?
View Quote
I’m afraid not.  The opening around the reciprocating charging handle would create an easy escape for blow-back.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Here’s the infamous photo of the military issued ARX160-SF featuring the factory EPC. Note the foam cut out for a grenade launcher. How cool is that..!?!.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I’m afraid not.  The opening around the reciprocating charging handle would create an easy escape for blow-back.
View Quote
Would it reduce the gas over a non-partially blocked port?
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 8:15:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Probably, but not enough to prevent a stream of blowback in the face. The operative is to divert 100% blowback from the face. We’re almost there..
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Here’s the infamous photo of the military issued ARX160-SF featuring the factory EPC. Note the foam cut out for a grenade launcher. How cool is that..!?!.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/los3088/CR%20Models/attachment-1_zpsctdlia1o.jpeg
View Quote
Is there any information on that case? Make, model, etc.

Any updates on the port cover?
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 10:38:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Probably, but not enough to prevent a stream of blowback in the face. The operative is to divert 100% blowback from the face. We’re almost there..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The posted pic of the kit shows the way.  That central port with the fwd horizontal protrusion probably directs spent gasses fwd.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:41:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The posted pic of the kit shows the way.  That central port with the fwd horizontal protrusion probably directs spent gasses fwd.
View Quote
Roger that.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:48:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/los3088/CR%20Models/attachment-1_zpsctdlia1o.jpeg

Negative. I’ve made several attempts with Beretta Italia to obtain info on the military issued kit. No disclosure whatsoever. It’s as if the Kit never existed. No info on the mil EPC, either.

The last proto tested extremely well but I’m going to tweak the design. I think I’m close.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#21]
This is the rendering of the latest proto that I’ll be submitting for testing. I feel good about this one.

Link Posted: 7/25/2018 6:54:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Do you have a waitlist?
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 7:03:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes. A few from here but most are from the Beretta forum.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I’m down for one. Doing FDE or black?
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 8:45:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I’m down for one. Doing FDE or black?
View Quote
In both colors, for sure.

FYI, When using the EPC on a suppressed ARX, expect blowback residue to accumulate underneath the covered portion of the rifle and around the integrated exhaust ports of the EPC. Of course, this will be much more noticeable on a FDE Rifle.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Awesome, I’m down for a black one
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Awesome, I’m down for a black one
View Quote
Noted, and Thank you.

We’re still in proto testing stage but definitely getting close to the final design.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top