Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2019 11:32:20 AM EDT
Hi all!  I'm thinking about putting together a PCC for shits and giggles.  I have a Rugged Obsidian coming in (hopefully) about 8 months so I figure I'm going to shoot it a lot in that config.

I really like the idea of an AR platform PCC because of parts commonality and muscle memory - plus I have heaps of Glock mags.  On the other hand, my 13 year old son is nuts for me to get a Scorpion.  Plus it's a pretty cool platform to SBR - and mags are dang cheap.

Both are blowback, so is there really any difference for suppressed use?

Folks that own both which do you prefer to shoot?

Thanks all!
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#1]
My experience is both are pretty reliable, but the Scorpion is dead nuts simple, and just goes and goes. Quality components help a lot with AR9 being trouble free, vs plug and play with the CZ.

Edit: I like shooting both, I wish I could afford to feed them more.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the CZ Scorpion (one of the very 1st, that I paid too much for) and I want an AR9.   Then I can judge which I actually prefer... I like to idea of the Scorpion, but I'm just in love with its feel or the way it feels when I shoot it.  Maybe I'm just too used to the AR platform.

Maybe at Tax time, if things are going good, I'll get off my ass and finally build one..  If I do, I'm sure I'll be buying another pistol can, this time a 9mm can, vs a .45.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 3:28:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I got an itch to put together a couple of 9mm SBRs for me and my GF with large form one reflex cans. I got the cans figured out, but I was back and forth on the rifles. I was going between AR9 glock mag or a scorpion.

The AR9 had the pros of me being able to build them, lots of options for configurations, we both primarily carry glock 9mms, easy to set up the handguard, barrel, length, and cans because of all the parts options.

Pros for the scorpion is it was built to be a 9mm, mags are cheap, has a real folder, not an AR so something different.

I ended up going with the AR, because the GF already has a 5.56 SBR so the 9 would be easy to learn, plus we have tons of mags. I have everything mocked up and test fired em as pistols, they are gonna be awesome.

PSA glock lowers, NFA side charger uppers, Macon armory, 5in barrels, bolts, buffer, Seekings keymod forends. The cans are 1.625 DM tubes with 2.5 reflex mounts and radial cones. Just waiting on tax stamps...

I had a 9mm AR SBR years ago using a standard lower with a colt style mag block, I sold all the 9mm parts when I got my MP5s and made that SBR a 300blk. There are more parts and buffer weights available now so I was confident I could make the 9mmAR run smooth.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 10:16:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got both. SBR Scorpion for 2 years and an SBR AR9 with 3 different uppers (4.5", 8.5", 16"). Don't have my Omega 9K yet (damn shutdown, it's literally due any time now), but I'm betting the Scorpion is going to be way more fun. However I love my 8.5" AR9 too. It's lighter with the 32 round Colt mag.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 9:36:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I had both, kept my CMMG Guard. Waiting for my Dead Air Ghost M to get out of jail.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#6]
on the cz barrel threads, their web site says its 1/2x28 and 18x1.

what the heck are they talking about?
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 12:10:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Scorpion for this, all day.  Absolutely no gas coming back at me.  My suppressed AR's had gas issues until I bought adjustable gas blocks or BCG.  No need on the Scorpion.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 12:29:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I have both and I prefer the scorpion.

The scorpion feels more purpose built instead of making the 9mm cartridge fit the AR platform.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 12:31:21 PM EDT
[#9]
The old barrels were threaded 18x1. I believe all the new barrels are now 1/2x28, with another threaded portion at 18x1 to hold the flash hider.

You should be able to remove the flash hider from a new barrel and install direct to the 1/2x28 threads.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
on the cz barrel threads, their web site says its 1/2x28 and 18x1.

what the heck are they talking about?
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 5:59:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I own both. Love AR's and been shooting them for 20 years. Haven't shot my AR9 since August 2017 when I bought my Scorpion. Love the Scorpion and it has been 100% for several thousand rounds, mostly suppressed. The worst part of the AR9 is all the gas to the face while suppressed.

Threads are 1/2x28 on all the new ones. 18mm is the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 3:27:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I have both Ar9 and Scorpion, both have short barrels and shoot both suppressed. I prefer the scorpion over the AR9, it just feels so much better in my opinion
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top