Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2020 9:27:36 PM EDT
Does anyone have a line on a few magazines for a Armalite AR-7 22lr?

My father in law has one he bought years ago and never got any extra mags.

Thanks for any info you can send my way.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 9:43:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Henry Repeating Arms has them in their catalog.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Assuming they are the same as the Henry AR7, I just ordered 2 x 2 Packs from Henry's Pride this afternoon.
This was the only place I found some.
https://henrypride.com/collections/rifle-parts/products/henry-us-survival-ar-7-magazine
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:21:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Holy crap you guys are fast, I've been looking for the last week.

thank you both so much for the info.

Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:33:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:42:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the Henry magazines are different from Armalite/Charter. So it'll be important to know what manufacturer rifle he has.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:58:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Best Advice on an AR-7 you will get.

(A) Use ROUND NOSE 22LR.   Solid or HP is fine, but ROUND NOSE  (Never shoot Truncated Cone 22LR unless you enjoy jams)

(B) AR-7s are magazines delicate (because the feedramp is an integral part of the magazine).   Spend a few $ to get GOOD factory magazines.  Most of the aftermarket no name mags are Junk.

Enjoy it!  One of my favorite run around rifles.  Mine, (Charter AR-7) is surprising accurate for what it is.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:13:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think the Henry magazines are different from Armalite/Charter. So it'll be important to know what manufacturer rifle he has.
View Quote

He said it is a Armalite, I've asked him to find the 1 mag he has and send me a couple good pictures, he is a little older and this whole internet thing still works him over on a good day. knowing him ill get a couple polaroid's in the mail next week...lol
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:37:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I didn't know that. Years ago we ordered some Triple K mags for a customer of ours but I know they have a spotty reputation in general but don't know anything about these specific mags.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:19:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I have owned two of them and really tried to like them.

One was a Charter Arms and the other ArmaLite.

No matter what ammo I tried, I do not think I ever made it through a single magazine without a malfunction!

If I thought Henry had a reliable one I would buy it!
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:41:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I owned a Henry version for several years and enjoyed it a lot.  Minute of squirrel out to about 23 yds,

One thing I learned is that rim lock is not your friend.  be careful how you load the magazines.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 1:10:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have owned two of them and really tried to like them.

One was a Charter Arms and the other ArmaLite.

No matter what ammo I tried, I do not think I ever made it through a single magazine without a malfunction!

If I thought Henry had a reliable one I would buy it!
View Quote

I've heard they're better and didn't get complaints on the few I sold but most of them don't get shot much. At least with Henry being current and having good customer service I would take the risk if I wanted one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

What makes you think that they are different? I spent some time on the Henry forum and can’t confirm that they are different.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ramline made a plastic 25rd mag also, and someone made a metal 15rd mag for a short time.
View Quote

I have an Armalite AR-7 rifle, and a Charter Arms Explorer II pistol.
The Ramline 25 round plastic magazine was reportedly prone to breakage so they are rather scarce.  Eaton made a 25 round "banana clip" steel magazine that can be occasionally found.  Last I knew, Triple K still made the 15 round stick magazines.  I've got at couple and they are no better or worse than any other metal AR-7 pattern magazines that I have.  Which is to say, both sets of lips - the rear set that positions the cartridge in the magazine and the front set that is the feed ramp must be adjusted properly.  The good news is the mag lips tend to be easy to bend into position, and the bad news is the mag lips tend to be easy to bend out of position.  Handle your magazines accordingly.  I don't have mags from every vendor, but to my understanding, the Henry, Armalite, Ramline, Charter Arms, Triple K, Eaton, AR Industries, others? mags all are to the same dimensional pattern.
As for ammo feeding, the Charter Arms AR-7 pattern firearms were notorious for needing to have the lower lip of the chamber entrance very lightly "throated".  The Armalite probably is okay.
For ammo, the typically recommended cartridge is CCI MiniMag, 40 gr., copper coated, round nose.  As well as that ammo, I've had good feeding using CCI 40 gr. AR Tactical.
Best of luck and enjoy.
MHO, YMMV, etc. Be well.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 2:15:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

As for ammo feeding, the Charter Arms AR-7 pattern firearms were notorious for needing to have the lower lip of the chamber entrance very lightly "throated".

For ammo, the typically recommended cartridge is CCI MiniMag, 40 gr., copper coated, round nose.  As well as that ammo, I've had good feeding using CCI 40 gr. AR Tactical.
Best of luck and enjoy.
MHO, YMMV, etc. Be well.
View Quote

From personal experience...

The bottom of the chamber entrance has a sharp edge.  Sometimes this could catch the soft lead bullet and cause failure to feed.

All that is necessary is to use a Dremel with the rubber polishing stub and very slightly polish that sharp edge so it has a slight radius that won't catch the bullet.  Takes maybe a minute or less.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#15]
https://www.ar-7.com/  I have no experience with that company, but does list a bunch of parts.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 7:48:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The bottom of the chamber entrance has a sharp edge.  Sometimes this could catch the soft lead bullet and cause failure to feed.

All that is necessary is to use a Dremel with the rubber polishing stub and very slightly polish that sharp edge so it has a slight radius that won't catch the bullet.  Takes maybe a minute or less.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As for ammo feeding, the Charter Arms AR-7 pattern firearms were notorious for needing to have the lower lip of the chamber entrance very lightly "throated".

Best of luck and enjoy.
MHO, YMMV, etc. Be well.

Yep just takes a moment to take the sharp edge off.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best of luck and enjoy.
MHO, YMMV, etc. Be well.

A picture's worth a thousand words:
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 8:36:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ramline made a plastic 25rd mag also, and someone made a metal 15rd mag for a short time.
View Quote

Those metal 15 rnd need a little jb weld to make a proper feed ramp on the front of the mag.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 10:15:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Those metal 15 rnd need a little jb weld to make a proper feed ramp on the front of the mag.
View Quote

That is not the case for the two that I have had for twenty or more years.  Though I may have adjusted the mag lips a long time ago.
MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Numrich has mags for sale
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 1:36:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Assuming they are the same as the Henry AR7, I just ordered 2 x 2 Packs from Henry's Pride this afternoon.
This was the only place I found some.
https://henrypride.com/collections/rifle-parts/products/henry-us-survival-ar-7-magazine
View Quote

Did you get these in yet? How do they look, work?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 4:39:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I found eBay had Henry AR-7 mags as cheap or cheaper than other places after shipping.

I have also read that mags are different between manufacturers. The magazine catch slot seems to be the difference and users discuss modifying Henry mags for other brands.

My Henry AR-7 has been great for what it is. Accurate enough and reliable with assorted ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top