Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2018 5:36:59 PM EDT
So I have a couple AR’s laying around and I’m eyeing one up to use with a cmmg 22 kit.

It’s a 10.5 barrel , gemtek trek suppressor with an adjustable gas block. Is that going to pose and problems for me?  I’m guessing I’ll have to open the gas block up but other than that should it be ok?

I’m not really worried about the trek. It’s a tough can and I was told putting 20-30 rounds of 5.56 when I’m done with .22 will clean it out.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#1]
The 22LR will be blow back. I started the same way you are. I got hooked and now I am building 22LR pistols (AR) and rifles.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 22LR will be blow back. I started the same way you are. I got hooked and now I am building 22LR pistols (AR) and rifles.
View Quote
Ahhhhh, so the gas block setting will be irrelevant.

I’m definitely going to get the kit now but I see trouble in the near future with the bank account. Lol. I’ve been looking at the pic thread.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 6:46:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Biggest concern is baffle strike on suppressor.  If the barrel is 1:7 twist accuracy will not be stellar.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 7:29:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Biggest concern is baffle strike on suppressor.  If the barrel is 1:7 twist accuracy will not be stellar.
View Quote
That is a concern, yes.

Is it because of the actual.22 round though or the platform?  As in, if I bought a M&P 22 and used the suppressor wouod a baffle strike be less likely?
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ahhhhh, so the gas block setting will be irrelevant.

I'm definitely going to get the kit now but I see trouble in the near future with the bank account. Lol. I've been looking at the pic thread.
View Quote
Buy the stainless kit.  It is possible that is the only one they sell now, but it cleans up very quickly.

Consider a spacer between your buffer and the rear of the kit when installed to take up any possible slop. I haven't done it yet, but since I am experimenting with a Fostech Echo II, I need every possible bug worked out.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
If the rifle groups well and shows no signs of key-holeing, the can will be fine. Just make sure it seats properly.  You may need some peel washers or a thick washer if the can doesn't bottom out on the shoulder.  Some barrel threads can be pretty long.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 12:19:40 AM EDT
[#7]
The quality conversion kits function just fine. The dislike I had is that the point of aim is a lot different than normal. My feeling is that it's a very good thing for a dedicated upper but not so good if you want to switch back and forth without re-zeroing.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:40:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah that’s my concern. I think I’m just going to sell my gag-5 to help fund a M&P 15/22. That way it’s dedicated, has the correct twist and I can just thread my trek right on the barrel
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 9:43:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah that’s my concern. I think I’m just going to sell my gag-5 to help fund a M&P 15/22. That way it’s dedicated, has the correct twist and I can just thread my trek right on the barrel
View Quote
Suppressor use is another challenge of the conversion kit as you can imagine. Using a sealed centerfure can for rimfire is asking for trouble, but taking off a muzzle device would be a more effort than it's worth to install a rimfire can. A 15/22 is a wise choice.

I also have to correct myself before someone points out a mistake I said in my previous post. I meant point of impact when I previously said point of aim.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Suppressor use is another challenge of the conversion kit as you can imagine. Using a sealed centerfure can for rimfire is asking for trouble, but taking off a muzzle device would be a more effort than it's worth to install a rimfire can. A 15/22 is a wise choice.

I also have to correct myself before someone points out a mistake I said in my previous post. I meant point of impact when I previously said point of aim.
View Quote
Yeah I’m putting up my gsg-5 for sale. Going to just buy the M&P and call it a day.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 3:54:05 AM EDT
[#11]
My accuracy was ok with my 1/7 10.5 in barrel I first used my kit on. I built a dedicated upper for it that has an old m16 1/12 (I think) barrel that is cut to 4in. It works great.

James
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top