Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2022 9:05:44 AM EDT
Looks like I'd save over $1k by going with the AP5. (This isn't a matter of being able to afford/not afford)
I plan to shoot whatever I get. Not a safe queen.

I'm still 50/50, but the big reason I am hesitant to just order the AP5 is...will I still want the real deal HK if I buy the AP5?

The SP5 could appreciate in value as time passes. Doubt the AP5 would. I don't plan to sell, but you never know so have to factor everything in.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 10:58:51 AM EDT
[#1]
They'll both appreciate in value. Obviously the SP5 will always be worth more.

The MKE guns have performed well for me.

Biggest difference is you may have slight mag wobble (front-to-back) which doesn't affect feeding.

Century/MKE AP5 has a matte finish and generally HKs are finished prettier and semi-gloss.

When the MKE guns weren't being imported, but HKs were (sometimes), the MKE guns experienced a huge % of appreciation because they were still a lower cost option (even if that's just $500 less) so, as always, the market is going to fluctuate depending on what's available.

As a general statement though, with the $200 importer rebate, the MKE guns currently represent the best value for MP5 clones we've ever seen.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 11:10:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm still 50/50, but the big reason I am hesitant to just order the AP5 is...will I still want the real deal HK if I buy the AP5?
View Quote
I still wanted a real HK MP5 and I finally found a good deal on a used MP5-N so I bought it, but it's not significantly better (as I mentioned above) so it just depends on what you want.

I like having more models so my most recent MP5 purchase was an AP5-P which is currently in MP5K-PDW configuration.

Back when I got my first MKE K gun (from ATI) 12 years ago they weren't offered with 3-lug barrels.

I shoot all of my stuff too.
No safe queens here.

Attachment Attached File
Two MKEs on left, old SW5 on right.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I also can afford the HK. But for the price I was seeing I got 2 MKEs. A P and a PDW. Mine function fine.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I have both an SP5 and AP5-P.  KitBuilder has the right of it.  You are not going to find a better value in an MP5 type weapon than the current AP5s with rebate.   I'd strongly suggest you grab the AP5 variant you prefer.  Shoot the piss out of it.  If it doesn't scratch your Sp5 itch, then keep monitoring the airwaves for the right SP5 deal....if you ever find one.

And for the record, I'm shooting the piss out of my AP5-P while my SP5 simply sits in the safe.  I'm not worried about shooting the SP5, I just am enjoying the AP5-P that much.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 12:20:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the same exact thoughts as you OP and I still can't decide. I can afford the SP5 and would be happy to pay the $2800 for it but certainly not the 4k they seem to be going for now.

The century are far cheaper and that makes me want one but a part of me worries I'm always wish I'd just gone with the actual HK instead.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 6:19:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can afford the SP5 and would be happy to pay the $2800 for it but certainly not the 4k they seem to be going for now.
View Quote

In stock at $3300... https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/642230259829
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I had the same dilemma. My opinion is unless you have to have the real deal HK (and for some, that's what they want, no problem there) go with the AP-5. I ended up finding a great deal on an unused PTR in a local deal, but the rebate on the MKE makes it pretty much the best deal around right now.

The extra money I didn't spend on the HK? Tax stamp for SBR, stock, supressor, tax stamp for suppressor, red dot, extra mags and I'm still under what I would have spent on the HK.

The clone does everything the HK does, except for having the German HK aura. And yep, we all know that's a real thing. I have no argument with that, or with people wanting that. For me, it just wasn't enough of a thing to pay that much more for  it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:55:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have both an SP5 and AP5-P.  KitBuilder has the right of it.  You are not going to find a better value in an MP5 type weapon than the current AP5s with rebate.   I'd strongly suggest you grab the AP5 variant you prefer.  Shoot the piss out of it.  If it doesn't scratch your Sp5 itch, then keep monitoring the airwaves for the right SP5 deal....if you ever find one.

And for the record, I'm shooting the piss out of my AP5-P while my SP5 simply sits in the safe.  I'm not worried about shooting the SP5, I just am enjoying the AP5-P that much.
View Quote

I got both ap5 and ap5-p, I'm definitely liking the p better as well. OP maybe buy a P now with the rebate it ends up being pretty cheap. have fun with that then keep your eyes open for a full size HK.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 3:05:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I had the same dilemma. My opinion is unless you have to have the real deal HK (and for some, that's what they want, no problem there) go with the AP-5. I ended up finding a great deal on an unused PTR in a local deal, but the rebate on the MKE makes it pretty much the best deal around right now.

The extra money I didn't spend on the HK? Tax stamp for SBR, stock, supressor, tax stamp for suppressor, red dot, extra mags and I'm still under what I would have spent on the HK.

The clone does everything the HK does, except for having the German HK aura. And yep, we all know that's a real thing. I have no argument with that, or with people wanting that. For me, it just wasn't enough of a thing to pay that much more for  it.
View Quote

That's the issue for me. I want that German HK Aura. I want that extra stink. I love the MP5 design but I personally think of PCCs more as toys than practical use items because IMO if I'm going to carry 7lbs of gun I'm going to carry something in 5.56 so if I'm going to get an MP5 shaped think I want the MP5 (or as close as I can get to it legally) not the copy. A part of me knows deep down that if I got the MKE it'd just be a place holder until I got the actual HK.

That said I'm just not willing to pay the current price difference to get it. I should have snagged one when they were "only" $2600.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's the issue for me. I want that German HK Aura. I want that extra stink. I love the MP5 design but I personally think of PCCs more as toys than practical use items because IMO if I'm going to carry 7lbs of gun I'm going to carry something in 5.56 so if I'm going to get an MP5 shaped think I want the MP5 (or as close as I can get to it legally) not the copy. A part of me knows deep down that if I got the MKE it'd just be a place holder until I got the actual HK.

That said I'm just not willing to pay the current price difference to get it. I should have snagged one when they were "only" $2600.
View Quote

Unless you just get lucky, I cannot imagine ever seeing an SP5 variant for $2600 again.  Perhaps an L but certainly not a K and most likely not a full size.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 6:00:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Unless you just get lucky, I cannot imagine ever seeing an SP5 variant for $2600 again.  Perhaps an L but certainly not a K and most likely not a full size.
View Quote

They’re out there, just gotta be patient and lucky. I recently got mine at KYGUNCO for that after waiting 2 years to find one at a decent price. They had it listed at $4k for well over a year, then I happened to stop in the day they dropped the price.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 7:06:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I own a H&K Mp5. I recently bought the MKE AP5-P.  After rebate it cost me $1465.  Love it

Killer deal.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They’re out there, just gotta be patient and lucky. I recently got mine at KYGUNCO for that after waiting 2 years to find one at a decent price. They had it listed at $4k for well over a year, then I happened to stop in the day they dropped the price.
View Quote

Bravo and well done.   I picked up my SP5 for $2899 a year or so ago and have not seen any deals on SP5Ks.      I'm still glad I grabbed an AP5-P and can enjoy it while time passes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top