ALICE Gear Setups (Page 8 of 23)
Page / 23
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 5:36:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 6:24:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TCBA_Joe] [#3]
RAF, I think I'm gonna skip on the $45 CMVS I found at the local surplus store. I have a feeling it's a fake. It's brand new and doesn't have the tags sewn on the inside like EVERY piece of military gear I've ever seen in my life. Plus the guy working there didn't know what it was or where it came from but he does sell a lot of Fox/Condor. If I find one online for a decent price I will, but I'm gonna pass on this offering.

ETA: Bingo!
It's a piece of Condor Gear.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 10:23:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#4]
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 3:05:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's my old set up, still surprised how comfortable it actually is. I took the shoulder straps off of an LBV and hooked them to my regular LCE to make the gear Nazi's happy when they wanted everyone to switch to the LBV's. It ended up making it a lot more comfortable and stopped everyone's bitching.

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ocmike:
Here's my old set up, still surprised how comfortable it actually is. I took the shoulder straps off of an LBV and hooked them to my regular LCE to make the gear Nazi's happy when they wanted everyone to switch to the LBV's. It ended up making it a lot more comfortable and stopped everyone's bitching.

http://www.octactical.net/LCE.jpg

How did you attach the compass/aid pouch & the strobe pouch to the canteen pouches?  Sewn?

Pathfinder
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#8]
got a set of SpecOpsBrand Super Straps for free

Link Posted: 12/22/2009 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Pathfinder1:

How did you attach the compass/aid pouch & the strobe pouch to the canteen pouches?  Sewn?

Pathfinder

Sewn on
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 2:52:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/25/2009 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I agree with you,
5minutes after I put the new strap I looked for MOLLE straps and waist belt on ebay

they never made them in OD right? I only see them in WL
Link Posted: 12/25/2009 10:40:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 4:14:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Morg308] [#13]

That's a great, simple setup you have there. IIRC some high speed guys used to use this back in the day - I just bought one of the MOLLE/Medic LBVs off ebay and I think it will be perfect for me - I have some 3 pocket MOLLE mag pouches, am thinking of using one 3-pocket, and one 2 pocket with a holster for my SIG on the other. I'd like to squeeze in an extra mag pouch for the SIG, a compass pouch and maybe a small knife as well. I really like the comfort of the enhanced LBV I have, but am looking for a minimized or optimized front load for use with a framed pack, my choice being the M1941. I successfully mounted Molle straps and a belt to an M1941 frame, but am now thinking that with the padding of the LBV on the shoulders, I don't need that - jsut an ALICE waist pad and a sternum strap...still working on my 'ideal' setup. This is a great thread BTW.

ETA: is that a SAW pouch on the front RH side? What do you keep in the pocket?
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 8:52:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xcibes] [#14]
Great thread! I'm taking notes  on this one.....

Here is my current setup...at the time I had not nfinished putting it together so to what you see add a butt pack and another LC2 canteen as well as a compass/first aid pouch

As you can see it is a mixture of current Russain and old ALICE gear. It feels veryc omfortable, much better IMHO than the old US pistol belt.

One big plus is that I can switch weapons without having to switch pouches as these can take AK47, AK74, M16, or even 8-round Saiga12 magazines with no problems...Havent tried it yet, but I think M14 mags work well also.

ETA: The pistol iz a cz75BD and the bayonet is a standard late pattern bulgarian AK74 bayonet...I know...I need a real knife...some day, I guess...
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 10:50:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Where did you get that Russian gear from?
Link Posted: 12/28/2009 6:34:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: xcibes] [#16]
ruscamo on ebay...there is also a guy on theakforum.net...JustinHR with a  shop out of skippers, VA who has/had these in stock and does mail order.

Here are some detail photos.

Link Posted: 12/28/2009 7:06:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#17]
Link Posted: 12/28/2009 9:16:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xcibes] [#18]
They are already doing some MOLLE-like stuff....That gear is not just for AKs though. Even though the mags in it  are AK74 mags, M16 mags work just as well and I plan on mostly using that with my Colt 6920.

Sorry for having hijacked of this thread.
Link Posted: 12/28/2009 9:55:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Frens:
I agree with you,
5minutes after I put the new strap I looked for MOLLE straps and waist belt on ebay

they never made them in OD right? I only see them in WL

I have seen Coyote Brown made for Saudi SF:

But not paying $389 for a brown ruck.
Coyote MOLLE II Ruck System
Link Posted: 12/29/2009 1:16:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/29/2009 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#21]
FWIW ebay member wwarbucks has 8 of the Molle medic vests for sale for $35 - mine was $48.95 w/priority shipping (only way he ships them I think). A little expensive, but exactly what I've been looking for. Also, FWIW, the E. German LBE is very good quality and the shoulder pads are very thick - I have a hybrid setup right now with a Chicom lower for an SKS, but am not entirely happy with it. The H harness is excellent though, and uses the British style C attachment system, which I did away with.
Link Posted: 12/31/2009 9:27:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/31/2009 5:20:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Here's some pics of my two setups. One is a "light" rig, the other is the "heavy" rig. I still need to add some extra pistol mag pouches to each.

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 6:46:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ARJJ:
Originally Posted By HighAltitude:
Where is a good place to purchase USGI alice gear for a basic belt/suspenders/pouches setup?

I bought some of my recent ALICE stuff from Gunny's Surplus. He took a week or so to ship but his prices were decent. I also bought several items off EBay, and the vendors there have shipped very fast. Allegheny Surplus Outlet is one EBay store that has a great selection and good prices. GruntGear is another.

Old Grouch (Garand_Shooter) is a member here and has some good deal from time to time. I know he had the new style buttpacks on sale recently.

Thanks for posting these links, Gunny's has a good price on the M16 ammo pouches, 25/$18...holds 3-30rnd mags....

Smoking deal for me as the local mil surp store sells them for $5 each....
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 12:55:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By WTProtector:
Where is a good place to purchase USGI alice gear for a basic belt/suspenders/pouches setup?

I bought some of my recent ALICE stuff from Gunny's Surplus. He took a week or so to ship but his prices were decent. I also bought several items off EBay, and the vendors there have shipped very fast. Allegheny Surplus Outlet is one EBay store that has a great selection and good prices. GruntGear is another.

Old Grouch (Garand_Shooter) is a member here and has some good deal from time to time. I know he had the new style buttpacks on sale recently.

Thanks for posting these links, Gunny's has a good price on the M16 ammo pouches, 25/$18...holds 3-30rnd mags....

Just keep in mind he took about a week to ship. The two I received from him were used, but in excellent shape. Also, his shipping is a bit high. If you only need a couple, your local store may be a better bet. Or Ebay––I got the two shown in my photos on Page 15 from Allegheny Surplus (on Ebay), along with the canteen pouches and buttpack. They had the best overall deals, and shipping was fast.

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 2:46:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Morg308:

That's a great, simple setup you have there. IIRC some high speed guys used to use this back in the day - I just bought one of the MOLLE/Medic LBVs off ebay and I think it will be perfect for me - I have some 3 pocket MOLLE mag pouches, am thinking of using one 3-pocket, and one 2 pocket with a holster for my SIG on the other. I'd like to squeeze in an extra mag pouch for the SIG, a compass pouch and maybe a small knife as well. I really like the comfort of the enhanced LBV I have, but am looking for a minimized or optimized front load for use with a framed pack, my choice being the M1941. I successfully mounted Molle straps and a belt to an M1941 frame, but am now thinking that with the padding of the LBV on the shoulders, I don't need that - jsut an ALICE waist pad and a sternum strap...still working on my 'ideal' setup. This is a great thread BTW.

ETA: is that a SAW pouch on the front RH side? What do you keep in the pocket?

Yeah, its a modified SAW pouch.  Depends what I was carrying, as a saw gunner or M60 AG or gunner I carried linked 5.56 or 7.62. When carrying a 16/M4 I used it as a GP pouch, usually put my map, protractor, gloves, and other misc. stuff I used a lot.

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 4:32:11 PM EDT
[#27]
tag
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 4:32:32 PM EDT
[#28]
TAG

Link Posted: 1/2/2010 8:11:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By WTProtector:

Just keep in mind he took about a week to ship. The two I received from him were used, but in excellent shape. Also, his shipping is a bit high. If you only need a couple, your local store may be a better bet. Or Ebay––I got the two shown in my photos on Page 15 from Allegheny Surplus (on Ebay), along with the canteen pouches and buttpack. They had the best overall deals, and shipping was fast.

Even with the shipping, it's just over a $1 each....I'm only setting up a couple of "grab and go" type rigs...so the time is fine with me...granted,  don't "need" 25, but for the price, I'll use them to store mags in...
Link Posted: 1/2/2010 2:46:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#30]
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 8:15:53 PM EDT
[#31]
My humble rig.

What I set it up for...

Link Posted: 1/3/2010 10:14:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Beautiful rifle, qualityhardware!
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 1:09:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By raf:
All right folks, here's a tip for those of you running a Meduim ALICE without frame.  

First of all, use Enforcer's trick of installing a tube in the top of the frame pocket, which will prevent the pack from collapsing around your shoulders–– there's a post above about just this mod.

Second, get some GOOD shoulder straps, either the woodland GI LC-2 units (with sternum strap) or aftermarket unit from Tactical Tailor or similar.

Now then, the only thing needed is a waistband to help keep the pack where you want it when running/jogging, etc.

Easy, quick, NO-SEW raf method.

Obtain GI pistol belt with QD release.  Obtain 4' or so of 550 cord.

1) Don full pack, and adjust pack straps to fit properly.  Observe where D-rings on bottom sides of pack are located, and make a mental note of where they are located on your body.

2) Adjust pistol belt to fit around your body at the place you noted.

3) Lay pack on ground, back of pack (shoulder strap side) up.

4)Lay pistol belt on top of pack over D-rings, belt centered.  Give some thought about which side of the pack the opening latches of the buckle might be.  Some folks use left hand to open buckle, some the right.  I favor left hand, as my right (strong) hand might be occupied.

5)Run some 550 cord thru the grommets of the pistol belt, and one end thru D-ring.   The loose ends of the 550 cord go through the belt away from where your bod would be, leaving just a single 1-1/2" of 550 cord laying against your waist.  You want to always have the 550 cord under tension, no matter how the pack is filled.  Go at least one set of grommet holes away from where the D-rings fall on the belt, but don't over-do it.  Tie off, but leave some extra so as to accomodate the differences between a fully-loaded and partially loaded pack.  Naturally, you will sear the ends of the 550 cord, and use your fingertips to mold the still warm nylon into semi-pointed ends to facilitate threading, and to eliminate un-ravelling of the cord itself.

6) You now have a GI-quality, adjustible waistband on your pack, which will also accept ALICE and MOLLE pouches if you like.  Most likely this belt will ride higher than your LBE belt, so your capacity is increased.

Worthwhile additions:  

A Kovach clip, otherwise known as a pistol belt extender.  This device has a male and female QD device on either end, and snaps into your belt, giving you about another, instant 5" of girth for winter clothing.  Easier than adjusting the belt, trust me.  Wrap it around the belt and snap it to itself for stowage.  You can get the two GI types of QD belt closures, look around.

Pistol belt pad.  Snaps to PB, and makes things easier for your bod. Adds some floatation.  Well worth the slight expense in comfort.

Final note:  IF you have the materials and ability to sew webbing, an alternative to the above would be to use some 2"  nylon webbing with an appropriate fastex QD buckle.  Note that the ALICE pack, without the frame, has a buckle and loose strap near bottom, which are doing nothing.  Sew onto the 2" webbing a couple of 1" D-rings at the appropriate spots, and utilize the existing ALICE straps and buckles to affix pack to waistband.  This is a lighter, more elegant solution, but if you have to buy all the stuff and have things sewed, the pistol belt version will probably be cheaper.
This is

raf,

excellent mod for a waist belt; I looked at a pistol belt but couldn't get past how to connect it. I'm going to give yours a try. thanks.

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 7:11:48 PM EDT
[#34]

Beautiful rifle, qualityhardware!
Thanks ARJJ.

Link Posted: 1/12/2010 1:07:42 PM EDT
[#35]
FWIW, the ebay seller I bought the medic's vest from made a mistake and sent me an FLC in ACU camo by mistake - honest mistake, and they are making it right - they offered me the FLC for another $15 so what could I say? I have to say, the FLC seems like a really good piece of kit for bugout - slimline, fits under a coat, would be comfortable while driving unless you actually had canteens in your canteen pouches or had a buttpack. Seems like it would be an excellent way to carry concealed in a SHTF situation under a coat. I will likely get rid of the sternum strap buckle and the waist band buckle, as they seem to get in the way w/o armor on. The other thing I like about it is there are no waist belt tabs hanging down - it would be easy to carry 1st line gear separately on a web belt, with your 2nd line gear on the vest. Like I said, canteens could be stuck in pouches as soon as you dismount, or replaced entirely with a bladder. Just a thought - I was surprised to be so impressed with the simplicity and usefulness of the FLC, especially for civilians who aren't needing to carry a full combat load, just some extra mags, an IFAK, compass and maybe a radio or GPS. I am planning on carrying the SIG on the vest as well, keeping my 1st line gear very simple. For extended wear/carry capacity and comfort I think the LBV will do better, but in a car or on the street, I sure like the FLC vest. Very underrated. I may dye mine black though for lower profile under a dark coat. Hell, I may get a second one!
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Morg308, look here for a whole 'nother thread on the FLC.
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 6:53:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Morg308, look here for a whole 'nother thread on the FLC.

Thanks for the link! I especially liked the pics of the dyed FLCs and setting them up as a chest rig - great info.

Link Posted: 1/14/2010 10:09:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3DD3] [#38]
I did the Fastex buckle up grade to my ALICE pack. (page 7)
It was pretty simple.
Works and looks great now
(side note;I had to dremel off all the old metal strap sliders)
Link Posted: 1/17/2010 11:10:44 PM EDT
[#39]
btt
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 10:30:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Enforcer:

The second set of images is a hybrid alice/molle pack I put together. It is probably the most bullet proof pack I have ever used. I currently have three assembled(mine and my two oldest sons who are in scouts). The only group of boys who are harder on things than GI's I will be building 1 more next week for my wife; once she saw how rugged these packs were she had to have one as well. I also have the additional parts saved away, so that when my youngest son is large enough; I'll put his together.

I like to call this hybrid the "ALLE Pack". My youngest son misunderstood and calls it the "alley cat" I have now nicknamed it the "Hell Cat"  We have taken it on numerous trips to the Smoky's and Appalacian trail; Cave trips; and back country big game hunts; It has performed flawlessly. Everyone who sees this pack is amazed at it's sturdiness; adaptability; bullet proof construction; and overall utility; At a bargain price to boot! It always draws curiousity seekers and comments.

The pack consists of alice frame; medium alice ruck; molle shoulder straps; molle moulded kidney belt; and molle sleep system carrier. NO MODIFICATIONS ARE NEEDED TO ASSEMBLE. Once assembled you have a medium capacity expedition pack; completely unitized(packed items won't shift); with top and bottom access. The pack has roughly 3500-4000 cubic inches of carrying capacity(3500 by dimensional calculations but closer to 4000 of actual capacity). Capacity can be expanded by either using a large ruck or adding molle sustainment pouches to one or both sides. That would potentially increase capacity up to 8000 cubic inches. The 5 packs that I own have cost me less than $250 combined. You have to shop around; but this pack can be easily assembled for less than $50.
We'll be taking them on a cave trip this weekend; so when I return next week I'll put together a "how to" thread on it's assembly.

I lucked into an actual mil-spec Large Alice Ruck in Woodland Camo, complete with frame yesterday, which is going to have the Woodland LC-2 Shoulder Straps and Waist Belt replaced with the MOLLE II parts following your system alteration.

Link Posted: 1/22/2010 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Here's some pics of my two setups. One is a "light" rig, the other is the "heavy" rig. I still need to add some extra pistol mag pouches to each.
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af142/jasonpharez/JasonsGear004.jpg
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af142/jasonpharez/JasonsGear002.jpg

Damn!  You must be a skinny little shit!  Only able to fit one mag pouch 7 canteen per side & have your verticle cinched to the max!!  What are you 16?

Pathfinder
Link Posted: 1/22/2010 10:37:23 PM EDT
[#42]

Damn!  You must be a skinny little shit!  Only able to fit one mag pouch 7 canteen per side & have your verticle cinched to the max!!  What are you 16?

Pathfinder

LOL! I actually had to recently let out my belt because it was too small. 5'7" and 175 lbs. 33" waist.
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 12:34:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pathfinder1] [#43]

Damn!  You must be a skinny little shit!  Only able to fit one mag pouch 7 canteen per side & have your vertical cinched to the max!!  What are you 16?

Pathfinder

LOL! I actually had to recently let out my belt because it was too small. 5'7" and 175 lbs. 33" waist.

LMAO!!!  seems we are alot alike...  I am just a little taller & possibly older.  Well I just had to get 34" waist pants ......  I keep mine just below the waistline, so that my ruck rides better when worn in conjunction.

Pathfinder
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 1:37:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 4:48:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Enforcer] [#45]
Originally Posted By stoner63a:

The second set of images is a hybrid alice/molle pack I put together. It is probably the most bullet proof pack I have ever used. I currently have three assembled(mine and my two oldest sons who are in scouts). The only group of boys who are harder on things than GI's I will be building 1 more next week for my wife; once she saw how rugged these packs were she had to have one as well. I also have the additional parts saved away, so that when my youngest son is large enough; I'll put his together.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/caneyforkoutfitters/alle1.jpg

I like to call this hybrid the "ALLE Pack". My youngest son misunderstood and calls it the "alley cat" I have now nicknamed it the "Hell Cat"  We have taken it on numerous trips to the Smoky's and Appalacian trail; Cave trips; and back country big game hunts; It has performed flawlessly. Everyone who sees this pack is amazed at it's sturdiness; adaptability; bullet proof construction; and overall utility; At a bargain price to boot! It always draws curiousity seekers and comments.

The pack consists of alice frame; medium alice ruck; molle shoulder straps; molle moulded kidney belt; and molle sleep system carrier. NO MODIFICATIONS ARE NEEDED TO ASSEMBLE. Once assembled you have a medium capacity expedition pack; completely unitized(packed items won't shift); with top and bottom access. The pack has roughly 3500-4000 cubic inches of carrying capacity(3500 by dimensional calculations but closer to 4000 of actual capacity). Capacity can be expanded by either using a large ruck or adding molle sustainment pouches to one or both sides. That would potentially increase capacity up to 8000 cubic inches. The 5 packs that I own have cost me less than $250 combined. You have to shop around; but this pack can be easily assembled for less than $50.
We'll be taking them on a cave trip this weekend; so when I return next week I'll put together a "how to" thread on it's assembly.

I lucked into an actual mil-spec Large Alice Ruck in Woodland Camo, complete with frame yesterday, which is going to have the Woodland LC-2 Shoulder Straps and Waist Belt replaced with the MOLLE II parts following your system alteration.

Is that large camo ALICE an actual issue ruck?  I've only seen one in 25-30 years and assumed it was issue; but I've questioned it since. According to all the sources I've read or seen the issue Large ALICE only came in OD. If it is genuine mil issue , what did it come from? USMC, Army or Airforce? That aside; you are going to have one sweet Hellcat. I would trade alot of gear to get a mil issue lg woodland camo ALICE ruck.

Changing the subject. I finally set down and completed the ALICE hybrid ruck using a MOLLE frame. It is one sweet set up.  I used the airborne frame; for my wife's ruck. It's a combination of the Hellcat and Bobcat mods I have previously posted. With one additional modification. I'll take pictures of our outing and hope to have pics of the entire set up next week. I am very pleased with the result. I'm going to call this mod the "Wildcat" since it is significantly different from the Hellcat. It is more  a  me'nage a' trois of the Hellcat, Bobcat and MOLLE frame. If that dosn't generate some excitement I'm not sure what will  Look for my post next week. I'm off for a weekend camping trip with the new Wildcat and 4 tried and true Hellcats.

Link Posted: 1/23/2010 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By stoner63a:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/caneyforkoutfitters/alle1.jpg

Is that large camo ALICE an actual issue ruck?  I've only seen one in 25-30 years and assumed it was issue; but I've questioned it since. According to all the sources I've read or seen the issue Large ALICE only came in OD. If it is genuine mil issue , what branch did it come from? USMC, Army or Airforce? I would like to confirm that the Lg Alice was indeed issued in camo; because I always assumed it was. That aside; you are going to have one sweet Hellcat. I would trade alot of gear to get a mil issue lg woodland camo ALICE ruck.

Changing the subject. I finally set down and completed the ALICE hybrid ruck using a MOLLE frame. It is one sweet set up.  I used the airborne frame; for my wife's ruck. It's a combination of the Hellcat and Bobcat mods I have previously posted. With one additional modification. I'll take pictures of our outing and hope to have pics of the entire set up next week. I am very pleased with the result. I'm going to call this mod the "Wildcat" since it is significantly different from the Hellcat. It is more  a  me'nage a' trois of the Hellcat, Bobcat and MOLLE frame. If that dosn't generate some excitement I'm not sure what will  Look for my post next week. I'm off for a weekend camping trip with the new Wildcat and 4 tried and true Hellcats.

Link Posted: 1/23/2010 6:07:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stoner63a] [#47]
Is that large camo ALICE an actual issue ruck?  I've only seen one in 25-30 years and assumed it was issue; but I've questioned it since. According to all the sources I've read or seen the issue Large ALICE only came in OD. If it is genuine mil issue , what did it come from? USMC, Army or Airforce? That aside; you are going to have one sweet Hellcat. I would trade alot of gear to get a mil issue lg woodland camo ALICE ruck.

Some dude was wearing it around the Denver Militaria Show last weekend.   I used to work Army/Navy back in the 1980's, and did 10 years in the infantry.  I can tell the difference between the real deal and the "GI-style" or "GI-type" knock-offs.  $40 with the frame and woodland improved LC2 straps with the chest strap.  Waistbelt is the late OD with the 3-rung friction buckle instead of the cammed flip over type.

Mfg Marking:
FIELD PACK, COMBAT
NYLON, LARGE LC 1
DLA 100-89-S-3100
8466 01-019-9103
S.W.I.  U.S.A.
MADE IN U.S.A.

CavStore sold the large LC2 in Woodland for like $90 plus the frame back in the 80's.  

Both my tours in Berlin, I was issued the Medium with Frame.  Stateside, at Ft Polk and Ft Carson, I was issued Medium without a frame.

I always used a green large with frame that I purchased at clothing sales, was much easier to carry standard packing list, plus 25 sand bags, LAW tube, plus the 81mm mortar equipment broken up in the squad.  Baseplate wasn't as bad as people think, I hooked up a padded M60 sling, slung it over my right shoulder, left thigh.

Edit:  I tried to do a search for the contractor but found 2000 and newer contracts.  This SWI may have been in St Louis, MO.    I found a pic of a woodie large ruck on Georgia Outfitter's site:

It appears somebody cut out the D-rings and 550 cord that were inside to shorten the main bag.
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 6:32:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#48]
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 7:58:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By raf:
Y'all install a pistol belt pad, and you'll have a few extra inches of belt.  I'm here to tell ya, a pistol belt pad is a wonderful thing as far as comfort goes.  Adds a bit of bouyancy in water ops, but that's not the main point.  Try a store-bought one, or make your own from a strip of GI sleeping pad closed-cell form.

I had a Blackhawk pistol belt pad on an old ALICE rig, and it did make a noticeable difference in comfort with a full combat load. The 1" webbing belt loops took up any added inches, however, and often ended up right where I wanted to place my pouches. I also used a homemade sleeping pad/zip-tie belt pad which worked fairly well but was ugly as hell.

With my above setups, the LBV/belt combo is surprisingly comfy on it's own, even when loaded down. The wide, padded straps on the LBV feel better than anything else I've used––I run the belt a bit loose and it's still nice. With the simple pistol belt/Y harness setup, that's kind of my backup/throw on and go gear, and it's not too bad with just a few mags and some water.

When I was younger I always felt like I had to have the pistol belt ass-crack tight, high up on my waist. That, combined with only having a 29" waist at the time, made things miserable. I've since gained several inches, and learned to run the ALICE setup looser and lower, and those changes have made a world of difference comfort-wise.
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 10:11:57 PM EDT
[#50]
on later issues of the ALICE MED. rucksacks  they did not have D-rings and cords to shorten the bag.....the cheap repo rucks do'nt have real NSN's and the nylon and snaps have that cheap look to them...buy real  genuine kit and do'nt suffer from  equipment failure
Page / 23
ALICE Gear Setups (Page 8 of 23)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top