Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2021 11:39:14 AM EDT
I recently picked up 4 AK receivers that are “raw”. They have light surface rust in some spots, so I would like to put a finish on them ASAP. Does anyone have any recommendations? I was thinking about heating them and then dipping them in motor oil to get that black finish. However I don’t know if heating them over a propane flame will mess up any tolerances or if that finish is durable. Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Propane heat should be fine, you shouldn't keep it on there long enough to get it red hot. Depending on the receiver it may just be the pin holes and ejector that are hardened and not the whole thing. As for finish you could do oil, or black oxide pretty cheap until you get ready to do the final finish
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top