Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2022 9:38:47 AM EDT
It would be great to have some insight from experienced individuals concerning these two thermal optics.  Both share identical features, and thermal resolution of 256x192.

What optic would provide the most benefit, from 50 - 125 yards.  I'm thinking that the reduced FOV is a worthwhile trade-off, for ultimately, increased optical performance at range with this resolution.  I'm already using a thermal monocular for spotting.  

Theoretically, the TS25-256 should look visually similar to an AGM Rattler TS35-384, if magnified once beyond it's base of 2.14X magnification.  I'm not an expert, that's why I'm asking here.  

TS19-256 (2.5X base magnification)
FOV: 9.24° × 6.94°

TS25-256 (3.5X base magnification)
FOV: 7.03° × 5.28°
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:42:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Are there newer models out?  My ts-25 rattler is a 384.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:46:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I would not pay more than $300 for a 256 thermal.

Even then it’s not too useful and resale will be terrible
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would not pay more than $300 for a 256 thermal.

Even then it’s not too useful and resale will be terrible
View Quote

Dunno if I completely agree. I’ve got an AGM 160 and you can definitely make out a person/dog/similar at 110 yards. At least.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 5:02:41 PM EDT
[#4]
As your resolution decreases, PID tends to suffer in kind. Bering Optics makes a "Stimulus Model" that is pretty dang good for a 256 resolution thermal. It is the only thermal Night Goggles sells that we put out a word of caution. Our website says, “I have tested the Hogster Stimulus from Bering Optics. The image quality doesn't compete with the R25, R35 or Super Hogster but is good in comparison to other options at a similar price point. This is not the thermal for people having animals of similar size and characteristics to distinguish between. However, for the hunter with very evident animal profiles, the Stimulus will allow the hunter to extend their hunting into darkness.” Korey Kirschenmann – Prostaff  – Night Goggles

You will see animals just fine but the finer details are missing so it is easy to mistake objects of similar size and shape, etc. You can't take back a bullet once it is sent. These entry level thermals lack the finer details even at base magnification and will suffer even more under digital zoom.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:56:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Dunno if I completely agree. I’ve got an AGM 160 and you can definitely make out a person/dog/similar at 110 yards. At least.
View Quote

AGM160 owner here as well. A person is easier to make out if they are standing, animals, well, its a toss up. But with that said, it works for what it is: an entry level cheap thermal scope that sees heat.

G.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:09:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

AGM160 owner here as well. A person is easier to make out if they are standing, animals, well, its a toss up. But with that said, it works for what it is: an entry level cheap thermal scope that sees heat.

G.
View Quote

Yup. I totally recommend it for a person who can’t really swing a lot of money but wants something to give them at least something for around the neighborhood if shit happens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top