Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2019 5:45:21 PM EDT
Hey guys,

My first foray into the ACR forum here.  I've been thinking of buying a 10.5" ACR pistol, then converting it to an SBR.

Does anyone know if it takes only a simple parts replacement, or a more involved factory gunsmith-level work?   I went to Bushmaster's website and had an online chat with a rep that recommends sending it to Ahlman's in MN.

I can do simple things in my garage like building an AR and have built 3 AKs under expert coaching, though I doubt I can do it again by myself.  I have no machining skills.

Link Posted: 8/12/2019 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks to me the rear pins are removed, the flat back would be taken off and an ACR stock assembly put back in it's place. Pushpins.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you might have emailed me.  If not, the engraving is the hardest part.  The conversion is literally a 10 second job.  Pop the upper and lower pins, swap the end cap with the stock and pop them back in
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 9:58:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, that was me

Not sure why the Bushmaster rep tells me it's a gunsmith-only job, but maybe he thought I was referring to the rifle version and was asking if they sell the short barrel.  Am I under the correct impression barrel swaps are easy on the ACR?

One day I might call on you for a lightweight trunnion then.  Thanks!

Link Posted: 8/13/2019 9:03:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Lol that’s funny. The rep probably hasn’t ever messed with an acr honestly.

They take about 30 seconds to swap a barrel if you take your time.

The non qd trunnions take about 1-2 minutes usually to swap out a barrel.  I keep a multitasker in my range bag for quick swaps.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 11:00:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Locutus494] [#5]
Bushmaster's customer service reps are notoriously and continually ignorant about what their company is actually doing and what their products are. Not surprised they told you it would require gunsmith work.

As others have already said, all you have to do is get an ACR stock and put it on your pistol, which is no more difficult than performing a simple field strip of the rifle. The stock is held in by the two rear takedown pins, that's it. There are also some aftermarket companies that have made AR buffer tube adapters and picatinny rail stock adapters (for Sig MCX stocks), if you'd prefer something different.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top