Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/26/2021 10:15:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 4:43:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Remington discontinued both Bushmaster and DPMS.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 6:28:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Remington has an engineer position open at the Huntsville location where the R&D group (what's left of it) is located.  Get the job and maybe they will let you take over the ACR program.  

https://careers-remington.icims.com/jobs/2106/r%26d-principal-engineer/job
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 2:26:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I think we’re still in a period of flux with the shutting down of dpms/bushmaster.  Somebody correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t Magpul retain the rights to the gun? So theoretically if the rifle is no longer being produced for the civilian (or apparently military) market, Magpul could sell rights to another more capable company.  As I’ve said elsewhere though, I’m still holding out hope Magpul finds a way to either start producing it themselves or buy receivers from Remington and build the rest themselves. I trust their judgement.  I know many would buy a Magpul branded ACR at a higher price point if it was available.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 4:10:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NoDakWolfPack:
I think we’re still in a period of flux with the shutting down of dpms/bushmaster.  Somebody correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t Magpul retain the rights to the gun? So theoretically if the rifle is no longer being produced for the civilian (or apparently military) market, Magpul could sell rights to another more capable company.  As I’ve said elsewhere though, I’m still holding out hope Magpul finds a way to either start producing it themselves or buy receivers from Remington and build the rest themselves. I trust their judgement.  I know many would buy a Magpul branded ACR at a higher price point if it was available.
View Quote
All polymer parts were already supplied by Magpul. Bushmaster basically dealt with the barrel and assembly.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 1:08:57 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote
I hope your right, sad if it dies out because of rem’s incompetence
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:26:10 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote
I saw an interview with someone at Magpul, IIRC it was on Youtube, and he said that Magpul owns the rights to the gun and Remington was only licensed to build it so yes it could, and hopefully will, come back to life.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:00:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:

Unfortunately I think it would be a hard sell. Any company interested in making the ACR will likely look at the (lack of) sales numbers under Bushmaster and take a hard pass.
View Quote
That’s a fair point for sure.  I posted somewhere else on here it would be nice if someone relatively independent like POF or PWS got the chance to license the ACR. I see companies like theirs as having experience with pistons and not being afraid of competing at a $2000 MSRP instead of a PSA price point.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe PSA can buy the rights to it!

@PalmettoStateArmory
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 3:44:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Avila33:
Maybe PSA can buy the rights to it!

@PalmettoStateArmory
View Quote
Prior to the release of the JAKL I would say the ACR actually plugged a hole of sorts in PSA’s lineup.  But honestly PSA would likely suffer from some of the same drawbacks of bushmaster.  Namely, they are big into offering ultra-high value.  People looking to spend 1200-2000 on a rifle don’t think of PSA or bushmaster.  Of course the independence, QC, and customer-responsiveness of PSA could make up for that...
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Unfortunately I think it would be a hard sell. Any company interested in making the ACR will likely look at the (lack of) sales numbers under Bushmaster and take a hard pass.
View Quote
Trust me, after running sales numbers I will 100% back this statement.  The Acr market is a hard sale.  I lost a lot of money on Acr related investments.  One dealer I work with is 6-9k in the hole because of a lack of sales.  There is a market but it is very difficult because an Acr isn’t as easy to manufacture as an ar15 in a lot of ways.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 4:55:37 AM EDT
[#14]
If true that's unfortunate.
Makes me glad I bought a G36 instead though.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 2:43:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: O3scgt] [#15]
its really a great rifle all the problems with sales just come from a lack of promotion and bushmaster failing with the aftermarket. Get one big youtuber to rehash the idea of the ACR in a positive light under someone elses control other than bushmaster and sales would likely take a steep turn around. At the 1500 dollar price point it absolutely blows the scar away in terms of performance and value unfortunately it was priced too high originally and under the control of idiots.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 2:21:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By bigdog200399:

Trust me, after running sales numbers I will 100% back this statement.  The Acr market is a hard sale.  I lost a lot of money on Acr related investments.  One dealer I work with is 6-9k in the hole because of a lack of sales.  There is a market but it is very difficult because an Acr isn’t as easy to manufacture as an ar15 in a lot of ways.
View Quote
Tell me how impossible this idea would be.  Use a machine like the Ghost Gunner 3 to mill blocks of 6061 (with appropriate G file of course) to create ACR receivers?
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#17]
You would have a really hard time to mill the area behind the supports on the bottom.  I tried to under that area with a side cutter at my buddies Sot for a MG and it wouldn’t work.  The other issue is the receiver is like 17 inches long so going in from the back would be difficult to do too.

If you had an extrusion it would be a different story.  You’d need the supporting pieces too like a trunnion, carrier rails, deflector and technically a charging handle assembly.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:24:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Thank you for the reply.  I just saw that Ghost Gunner 3 at shot this year and thought “with a little bit of code...” But fair enough.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:37:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I just picked one up last week and hope to get it to the range soon.  I guess I should pick up a few spare parts.  It is a really cool looking rifle.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Thank you for the reply.  I just saw that Ghost Gunner 3 at shot this year and thought “with a little bit of code...” But fair enough.
View Quote
Yeah it’s a lot more in depth with the Acr.  I’ve thought into it a good amount and when it’s said and done you’d have the same amount in a ghost Acr as a real deal receiver. (Possibly with or without upgrades to either side too)
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Yeah it’s a lot more in depth with the Acr.  I’ve thought into it a good amount and when it’s said and done you’d have the same amount in a ghost Acr as a real deal receiver. (Possibly with or without upgrades to either side too)
View Quote
Dang.  Does Remington do their extrusions in-house? Or just hand an ACR-die to the cheapest bidder and ask them to print x feet of what comes out of it?
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:04:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Honestly I don’t know.  For all the work I’ve done I’ve never really cared about the extrusions because they were always available. I imagine they do it through a contractor though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:52:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Chris at Small Arms Solutions is reporting that discontinuing of the ACR is temporary as Freedom Group deals with the pending legal actions for the Sandy Hook lawsuits.  It appears Bushmaster and DPMS are both on hold until the situation is resolved.  As others have pointed out the market is also soft and will probably ramp up as the election nears, hopefully Bushmaster will be up and running in time for election panic buying.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:09:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mcb] [#24]
Originally Posted By 37F:
Chris at Small Arms Solutions is reporting that discontinuing of the ACR is temporary as Freedom Group deals with the pending legal actions for the Sandy Hook lawsuits.  It appears Bushmaster and DPMS are both on hold until the situation is resolved.  As others have pointed out the market is also soft and will probably ramp up as the election nears, hopefully Bushmaster will be up and running in time for election panic buying.
View Quote
This information seems suspect.  Freedom Group has not existed since May of 2018 when Remington exited bankruptcy and became The Remington Outdoor Company.  Cerberus is no longer involved in anyway, financially or managerially.  JP Morgan Chase and Franklin Templeton now own Remington et-al.

The Sandy Hook lawsuit reason seems like a BS reason too.  That law suit has been reduced to a suit over marketing all other aspects of the case have been thrown out.  The lawsuits around the 700 trigger had the potential to be far more serious and yet Remington has never stopped making 700's due to multiple lawsuits related to it.

LOL on Bushmaster being back online by the election...  
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Bottom line..
Do you think the ACR is coming back?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:40:40 PM EDT
[#26]
License it to Ruger.  I've thought for a while they should jump in to the AR-18 game and make something.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:19:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:57:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Zeebz:
License it to Ruger.  I've thought for a while they should jump in to the AR-18 game and make something.
View Quote
Oh man, I never thought of Ruger.  I bet they could make a decent ACR for $1700 MSRP.  Especially if they chose a fixed barrel/aluminum trunnion option.  Now you got me dreaming.  I’d trust Ruger.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:35:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ltcdwb] [#29]
I know some folks here have a dislike of Brownell's, but they are doing a good job with their retro line of ARs and the BRN-180 uppers.  It wouldn't be too much of a stretch for them to license the ACR from MAGPUL.

ETA: I'm glad I was able to get the 6.8 SPC and 450 Bushmaster conversions before they dried up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:15:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By ltcdwb:
I know some folks here have a dislike of Brownell's, but they are doing a good job with their retro line of ARs and the BRN-180 uppers.  It wouldn't be too much of a stretch for them to license the ACR from MAGPUL.

ETA: I'm glad I was able to get the 6.8 SPC and 450 Bushmaster conversions before they dried up.
View Quote
I’m not sure why so many people assume it will be available at all? It costs them nothing to keep it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:52:40 PM EDT
[#31]
I’m glad I bought mine when I did. It was made in Windham just prior to the “move”. I wanted a Maine marked gun before they closed. Not shot much. More of a personal collectors piece that has little value to others.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm glad I purchased the 10.5 barrel assembly when I did. Still need to wrangle up more spare parts. I have well over 20k through the ACR and remains trustworthy. At this point I plan to pickup a BREN 2 and place this little guy in the safe. He's been trucking since end of 2011 without issue.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 9:44:07 PM EDT
[#33]
With a lot of Bushmaster parts and incomplete rifles showing up at CDNN over the past few weeks, been leaving me wondering where all the ACR parts are? I was looking forward to one of the new rails
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 6:28:49 AM EDT
[#34]
They dumped the ones available in their store for half price the week of Thanksgiving.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 9:43:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GerryOwen] [#35]

View Quote

A big part of that was the spotty reputation it had for reliability due to Bushmaster QC and the lack of caliber change kits that never seemed to materialize... The price being nearly double at launch what it was promised didn’t help either. I know the former is what kept me from ever buying one.

I too hope they come back. I always wanted one.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:12:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By CJofFL:
They dumped the ones available in their store for half price the week of Thanksgiving.
View Quote
I know, Bushy dumped a ton of AR parts and incomplete rifles on CDNN. Would like to access to ACR parts as they did for the AR's
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 12:51:10 AM EDT
[#38]
There’s a brand new tan one, never been fired, at my local shop. He’s asking $1,600, but will sell it to me for $1,500.I may pick it up for a collectors item.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 9:02:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Depidy_Dawg:
There’s a brand new tan one, never been fired, at my local shop. He’s asking $1,600, but will sell it to me for $1,500.I may pick it up for a collectors item.
View Quote

@depidy_dawg I would get it if you want one. They are only going to get more expensive and you can make your money back if you sell it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 9:11:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harmonic_Distortion] [#40]
you should see one of MAC's posts today from FB.

going of my memory from reading that post earlier this morning:

A fan had emailed him regarding the ACR and the experience the fan had when he bought an ACR and noticed a cracked Trunnion before it had ever been fired. Lng story short: He sent it to Remington, who has a 6-8 week backlog. & weeks in the guy contacts Remington and was told "The ACR is unrepairable and the model has been discontinued, so we destroyed it. We will send you a voucher or credit for other Remington products"

Luckily, it turned out they hadn't yet destroyed it and the guy was lucky enough to get it back from them.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:15:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Ivan1:

@depidy_dawg I would get it if you want one. They are only going to get more expensive and you can make your money back if you sell it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ivan1:

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#42]

Thanks!
View Quote

On Gunbroker they're going for over $1,600 when they pop up, so I'd definitely grab it.  It can only appreciate in value from here.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 1:10:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zeebz] [#43]
Duplicate.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Zeebz:
On Gunbroker they're going for over $1,600 when they pop up, so I'd definitely grab it.  It can only appreciate in value from here.
View Quote
That's not necessarily the case.

Sometimes guns sell for a big premium not long after they're discontinued because of the "Oh noes I should've gotten one!" factor.

Then interest can decline and the value decrease. It just depends on current market demand. A product without support usually experiences less demand (on average).

Do we know if Freedom Group will continue to support these?
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:09:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KGLaw] [#45]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:

View All Quotes

Doesn't sound it.  An ACR returned for service recently was offered an exchange of credit for other Remington goods.  The rifle was ultimately repaired and returned , but it doesn't sound like Remington's first choice is to do any service work to support the platform.

Originally Posted By brich2929:
you should see one of MAC's posts today from FB.

going of my memory from reading that post earlier this morning:

A fan had emailed him regarding the ACR and the experience the fan had when he bought an ACR and noticed a cracked Trunnion before it had ever been fired. Lng story short: He sent it to Remington, who has a 6-8 week backlog. & weeks in the guy contacts Remington and was told "The ACR is unrepairable and the model has been discontinued, so we destroyed it. We will send you a voucher or credit for other Remington products"

Luckily, it turned out they hadn't yet destroyed it and the guy was lucky enough to get it back from them.

ETA - Didn't notice this post before, but this is it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Hunterex:

Doesn't sound it.  An ACR returned for service recently was offered an exchange of credit for other Remington goods.  The rifle was ultimately repaired and returned , but it doesn't sound like Remington's first choice is to do any service work to support the platform.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hunterex:

The credit option may have been given because there is no one with knowledge of the ACR still in house. To my knowledge they fired almost everyone in those two companies.
Labor is sadly one of the first things to be cut when times are tight.

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 10:05:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigdog200399] [#47]
Remington will support the Acr for warranty.  They took a large batch of their selling inventory and moved it to their warranty repair inventory.  I watch the inventory numbers on certain parts and most of my long term supplies disappeared overnight. Regardless of what the customer service rep said above, Remington is supposed to still repair the rifle (not destroy customers rifles).  That was from some very senior people in charge of the Acr program when it still existed.

ETA, I emailed a couple high up managers about the situation and they are looking into it tomorrow when they get to Remington.   They said that the story doesn't sound right at all and will figure out exactly what happened.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 10:23:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Remington will support the Acr for warranty.  They took a large batch of their selling inventory and moved it to their warranty repair inventory.  I watch the inventory numbers on certain parts and most of my long term supplies disappeared overnight. Regardless of what the customer service rep said above, Remington is supposed to still repair the rifle (not destroy customers rifles).  That was from some very senior people in charge of the Acr program when it still existed.

ETA, I emailed a couple high up managers about the situation and they are looking into it tomorrow when they get to Remington.   They said that the story doesn't sound right at all and will figure out exactly what happened.
View Quote

Good to hear.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#49]
So I did a little digging and talked to Remington about this and here’s what I came up with.  The contact I talked to is a very senior employee of Remington and is looking into this more to see what exactly happened

First off, they definitely have parts there for warranty. This is something I found out, as well as was confirmed by the contact I talked to.  

They also have full rifles for catastrophic failures (this is extremely rare but just in case). I had a customer have something go wrong on his rifle and they swapped it for his choice of a new Acr.  He went from a 556 rifle to a 300blk factory rifle.  He’s waiting for the 300 barrel to arrive so he can trade it to me for credit for work.  

If this rifle was supposed to be destroyed they would have given more than a credit option.  They would have offered a replacement rifle or something along those lines as well.  

The contact I talked to looked through the list of warranty repairs and didn’t find the rifle.  There were a couple Acr’s but not many at all.  If I had the serial number I could get it to him and find out exactly what happened.  With that being said, all I can go off of is a Facebook post and an estimated timeline which would be anywhere from January to now since the rifle was discontinued at/around shot show.

Last but not least, the story just sounds off. I’m not saying it didn’t happen or anything was being lied about but for them to offer just a store credit doesn’t sound right. If someone can put me in contact with the person who emailed Tim I’ll be able to find the exact issue.  I’ll reach out to Tim as well.

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 2:14:10 PM EDT
[#50]
So will the ACR be supported in the foreseeable future?
Just parts replacement?
Continue with current barrel conversion kits?
Will 3rd party suppliers continue to innovate?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top