Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2018 2:51:31 PM EDT
I'm looking at picking one of these up and am having trouble figuring out if these are generally quite accurate (.5ish moa) with match ammo or if they tend to be in 1+ moa camp.  My intent is to run it suppressed exclusively with nice glass, bipod, etc. - it'll be a nice compliment to my 223 bolt gun.

I've got everything on hand except for the rifle itself.  What I want is a non-AR semi-auto piston rifle that will let me play with various 5.56 cartridges out to 500-600 yards that won't be a filthy mess after a few hundred suppressed rounds down range.  I know this is an ACR forum but alternative rifles under $2k would also be considered.  There's a fella selling a DMR about 4 hours away for what I deem a good price, but there's some alternatives locally that I'm considering too.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm looking at picking one of these up and am having trouble figuring out if these are generally quite accurate (.5ish moa) with match ammo . . .
View Quote
LOL, no. Any company that tells you they sell a mass-produced semi-auto rifle that shoots .5 MOA is probably lying to you.

The ACR DMR is just a regular ACR with different stock and barrel that's 2" longer and a little thicker. It's still a nitrided carbon steel barrel not even stainless.

Here's a 1.35" 10-shot group at 100 yards shooting 69gr FGMM with my standard ACR:

Exhibiting the statistical validity of ten-shot groups to assess accuracy, the five-shot cluster inside the larger group was under half an inch, which would have been a dishonest accuracy assessment of the rifle
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:36:02 AM EDT
[#2]
i get it, not looking for any kind of guaranteed accuracy. Was more looking for real world experience. Frankly, what I want is a gun that I can bust rocks and shit at 400+ when I'm out in the snow and weather, nice fire going, little wheeling going on, suppressed w/o the gas impingement filth I already have on hand. I'm willing to pay to play. I've got bolt guns up the wazzu and am now looking for a semi auto that's cool and not an AR as I'm set there too. A good solid used acr seems to fit the bill relative to other platforms according to my Google fu.

In other words, are these guns as off the rack accurate as a Colt socom (very in my experience) or more like an Adams arms piston (not very in my experience). Both of my colts shoot wolf gold reliably .70-.80 moa whereas the Adams uppers I've had were in the 2+ moa range with the same ammo.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#3]
You could probably do it by buying an ACR and sending it off to have the gas components stripped and put onto a new quality AR blank that folks would use to achieve similar results in a DI platform.

That said, you're going to spend a TON of money to avoid an adj. gas block and a little cleaning.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I may have just gotten lucky with an usual barrel, but I'm averaging 5/8" to 3/4" groups at 100 yards with my 18" ACR barrel shooting Black Hills 77gr OTM.

EDIT: Found two of my targets from last year. I can't seem to locate my targets I shot this year. Really happy with the results, especially considering I didn't have the Geissele SSA-E trigger in it at that point:

And here's a target shot with 69gr Federal Gold Medal Match:

No doubt a better shooter than me could squeeze even better groups out of this rifle and ammo. Hope this is helpful in seeing what the 18" ACR barrels can do with good ammo.

The rifle:
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 6:54:27 PM EDT
[#5]
very helpful, I've already made another purchase but thinking I might be in the buying mode again in a month or two, happy to see it's a shooter!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top