Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2020 11:21:53 AM EDT
I've read through a bunch of the helmet/ear pro threads, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Was hoping to find a headset that I could just wear without the helmet, but if I wanted to, could still attach to the helmet.

I don't spend any time in my gear, but it seems silly to have full body armor and helmet, but not hearing protection integrated.

Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:59:18 AM EDT
[#1]
What about Surefire EP4 Sonic Defenders?

Anyone have experience with them?

ETA: apparently not what I thought. 15 dollar plugs
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:12:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Thoughts on Sordin Supreme Pro Neckband?

I'm the loser talking to himself....
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By donnieR32:
What about Surefire EP4 Sonic Defenders?

Anyone have experience with them?

ETA: apparently not what I thought. 15 dollar plugs
View Quote

They work just fine for most shooting activity. I have a few pairs that I keep around for emergencies, or when Im dumb and forget my electronic ear pro.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#4]
OPS Core AMP. Designed to easily move between a headband and rail-mounted supports.

The downlead and mic even detach so you don't look like a choad at the indoor range
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By phurba:
OPS Core AMP. Designed to easily move between a headband and rail-mounted supports.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-tdvizl1wrj/images/stencil/original/products/928/7270/AMP_Headset_01_tan__99599.1579544603.jpg?c=2

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-tdvizl1wrj/images/stencil/original/products/928/7157/AMP_Headset_02__80125.1566593401.jpg?c=2

The downlead and mic even detach so you don't look like a choad at the indoor range 
View Quote

All the money, but this is the best option that is out currently.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By phurba:
OPS Core AMP. Designed to easily move between a headband and rail-mounted supports.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-tdvizl1wrj/images/stencil/original/products/928/7270/AMP_Headset_01_tan__99599.1579544603.jpg?c=2

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-tdvizl1wrj/images/stencil/original/products/928/7157/AMP_Headset_02__80125.1566593401.jpg?c=2

The downlead and mic even detach so you don't look like a choad at the indoor range 
View Quote

I don't have rails on my ACH. I don't think there are holes on the sides to mount anything come to think of it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:50:39 PM EDT
[#7]

I don't have rails on my ACH. I don't think there are holes on the sides to mount anything come to think of it.
View Quote

You could always add rails.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:56:30 PM EDT
[#8]
If you don't wear your gear much, don't waste time and money on an integrated/rail mounted headset.
Shit, I use my gear all the time and I don't have my headset mounted on my opscore rails. For exactly that reason, I don't want to keep swapping it,a nd I dont always wear my helmet when I need earpro.
you can move your pads around in the ACH to accommodate just about any headset. Especially on an ACH, where the integrated ear pro works like ass because, like the ones pictured above, they're all designed for a hi-cut helmet. There’s a reason SOF went with the full on high cut OpsCore instead of getting rails for their ACH/MICH helmets.

Attachment Attached File

Remove the center crown pad and replace it with two of the small pads set sideways one in the front one in the back of the space that the crown pad currently occupies. You aren’t doing an airborne operation so you don’t NEED a full crown pad. Your headset will fit perfectly between the two.
Attachment Attached File

I'd recomment the Howard Leights or the Walker razors (NOT the Quads. The Quads definitely dont fit) because both are low profile and will fit under the sides of the ACH.
If you want to get spendy, the Peltors are what SOF issues. MSA Liberators (with the neck band) work even better both in sound quality and are lower profile. You're gonna pay as much as a gun for a set though

Quoted:
What about Surefire EP4 Sonic Defenders?

Anyone have experience with them?

ETA: apparently not what I thought. 15 dollar plugs
View Quote

they rock. Way better than foamies.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Thoughts on Sordin Supreme Pro Neckband? 

I'm the loser talking to himself....
View Quote

These are what I wear most of the time, added benefit of fitting in my issue ACH. Not as nice the comtacs on my high cut but I wear them alot more.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:07:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By NoMoAMMO:

These are what I wear most of the time, added benefit of fitting in my issue ACH. Not as nice the comtacs on my high cut but I wear them alot more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NoMoAMMO:

These are what I wear most of the time, added benefit of fitting in my issue ACH. Not as nice the comtacs on my high cut but I wear them alot more.

An issued ACH is also what I'm working with.... circa 2009 model
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Here’s a set of MSA’s w the mesh headband and neckband in the back in an old 2006ish ACH. You have to go pretty low profile to get a headset to fit, but they will. I’ve seen some guys put rails on their ACH’s and get the Peltor Arc Rail adapters but they always seem to be a huge pain in the ass and don’t work as well as just going under the helmet. Unless you're going to do a DIY chop-job or shell out for a hi-cut you're not going to use much, it's the way to go.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The headsets I've seen work best:
MSA/Sordin's
Peltor COMTACs
Howard Leights
Walker Razors
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By demoMouse:
Here’s a set of MSA’s w the mesh headband and neckband in the back in a 2006ish ACH. You have to go pretty low profile to get a headset to fit, but they will. I’ve seen some guys put rails on their ACH’s and get the Peltor Arc Rail adapters but they always seem to be a huge pain in the ass and don’t work as well as just going under the helmet. Unless you're going to do a DIY chop-job or shell out for a hi-cut you're not going to use much, it's the way to go. 
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/427499/E77C46D1-F486-48ED-B0DD-0944BF849A95_jpe-1425099.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/427499/D9205481-C8DB-41A2-AAD4-2731542F2196_jpe-1425100.JPG
View Quote

I think neck is the way to go. Not sure if I want to spring 500 for the one's you have, but for half the price, I csb get the Sirdin Supreme Pro....
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#13]

I think neck is the way to go. Not sure if I want to spring 500 for the one's you have, but for half the price, I csb get the Sirdin Supreme Pro....
View Quote

Yah, I got these via the Army. They’re fantastic but I probably wouldn’t throw down $700 for a tactical headset. Not when I can drop 1/3 of that or less and still get something functional.

I’d bet the less expensive MSA/Sordin version still works really well.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:25:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By demoMouse:
If you don't wear your gear much, don't waste time and money on an integrated/rail mounted headset. 
Shit, I use my gear all the time and I don't have my headset mounted on my opscore rails. For exactly that reason, I don't want to keep swapping it,a nd I dont always wear my helmet when I need earpro.
you can move your pads around in the ACH to accommodate just about any headset. Especially on an ACH, where the integrated ear pro works like ass. There’s a reason SOF went with the full on high cut OpsCore instead of getting rails for their ACH/MICH helmets.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/427499/A31C62BB-6574-4B61-9F3A-D3D5DEC271F1_jpe-1425083.JPG
Remove the center crown pad and replace it with two of the small pads set sideways one in the front one in the back of the space that the crown pad currently occupies. You aren’t doing an airborne operation so you don’t NEED a full crown pad. Your headset will fit perfectly between the two. 
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/427499/8A65C3DA-2721-414E-870D-C86AE0F65F48_jpe-1425091.JPG

I'd recomment the Howard Leights or the Walker razors (NOT the Quads. The Quads definitely dont fit) because both are low profile and will fit under the sides of the ACH. 
If you want to get spendy, the Peltors are what SOF issues. MSA Liberators (with the neck band) work even better both in sound quality and are lower profile. You're gonna pay as much as a gun for a set though

they rock. Way better than foamies.
View Quote

This.
Before ach got its name it was called the Mich, modular integrated communication helmet, because it came with a complete communication kit, included sordins that were meant to be worn with the helmet. All of this to say that the ach was born to be compatible with headsets.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Comtacs work fine under my issue ACH.  I wouldn't want them mounted since I don't want to wear a helmet 100% percent of the time i'm just sitting around monitoring the nets while eating pogie bait or jerking off in a porta shitter
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

I was issued those with my ACH awhile back and hated them.  The neckband was funky and just got in the way of my helmets occ dial.  My unit ended up ordering a ton of Comtacs to replace them and they worked way better with our helmets.

As posted above, it's really all about pad setup and having a compatible chinstrap installed - the Ops Core H-Nape is pretty comfortable, just make sure to pull the lead and the mic through so it's not under any straps.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By skindroid:

I was issued those with my ACH awhile back and hated them.  The neckband was funky and just got in the way of my helmets occ dial.  My unit ended up ordering a ton of Comtacs to replace them and they worked way better with our helmets.

As posted above, it's really all about pad setup and having a compatible chinstrap installed - the Ops Core H-Nape is pretty comfortable, just make sure to pull the lead and the mic through so it's not under any straps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By skindroid:

I was issued those with my ACH awhile back and hated them.  The neckband was funky and just got in the way of my helmets occ dial.  My unit ended up ordering a ton of Comtacs to replace them and they worked way better with our helmets.

As posted above, it's really all about pad setup and having a compatible chinstrap installed - the Ops Core H-Nape is pretty comfortable, just make sure to pull the lead and the mic through so it's not under any straps.

Greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:25:50 AM EDT
[#18]
I have an XL Mich 2000 helmet.  I also have a choice between the TCI Liberator II/Sordin Supreme With neckband, and the  Sordin Supreme Pro with headband.

Also have loads of pads/kits.  I think I'll try the TCI/Neckband rig first.

I doubt that there are any rail-mounted EarPro attachments for my OEM, low-cut helmet, but if I am wrong, let me know.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I never could resolve the issue of a headset clunking around the sides of a low cut ACH/PASGT cut helmet, so I went with Peltor electronic ear plugs, which are fine since I don't run comms.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:57:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I never could resolve the issue of a headset clunking around the sides of a low cut ACH/PASGT cut helmet, so I went with Peltor electronic ear plugs, which are fine since I don't run comms.

View Quote

Did you try some very thin (1/16") closed-cell foam?  Can stick it to the inside of the helmet, or to the outside of the earcups.  Perhaps a helmet one size up from "normal" might provide more room.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top