Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2018 1:03:24 PM EDT
Thoughts on the Ruger AC556K?  Buy one for 10k or hold out for M16?
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 2:32:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Thoughts on the Ruger AC556K?  Buy one for 10k or hold out for M16?
View Quote

$10k for a AC556 is a good deal and if that's what you want get it. but if you really want a M16 I wouldnt bother with the AC556, you won't be as happy and the transaction cost (stamps, shipping, dealers cut, Etc...) will eat away at the value and just delay getting to your end goal of owning a M16. Also with 9+ months for approval time you have a lot of time tied up in transactions

I know frank occasionally has some 50/50 deals where you can pay half now and the other half once the stamp is approved. If you're sitting on $10k now you could get the transaction started and sell stuff or work extra hours between now and then to make the final payment.

Might also want to consider a RLL if you're on a right budget. They aren't as plug and play as a RR but it does allow you to use custom lowers which could include a high current mag well for a shrike, 308, 9mm, 45, etc...

IMO a M16 is magnitudes better than a AC556. Not that a AC556 is bad, just a wouldnt be my pick for a first (or second) MG.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

$10k for a AC556 is a good deal and if that's what you want get it. but if you really want a M16 I wouldnt bother with the AC556, you won't be as happy and the transaction cost (stamps, shipping, dealers cut, Etc...) will eat away at the value and just delay getting to your end goal of owning a M16. Also with 9+ months for approval time you have a lot of time tied up in transactions

I know frank occasionally has some 50/50 deals where you can pay half now and the other half once the stamp is approved. If you're sitting on $10k now you could get the transaction started and sell stuff or work extra hours between now and then to make the final payment.

Might also want to consider a RLL if you're on a right budget. They aren't as plug and play as a RR but it does allow you to use custom lowers which could include a high current mag well for a shrike, 308, 9mm, 45, etc...

IMO a M16 is magnitudes better than a AC556. Not that a AC556 is bad, just a wouldnt be my pick for a first (or second) MG.
View Quote
Sound advice. I would only jump on a ac556 if it was a very very good deal. $10k is ok, not amazing. The m16 crushes the ac556 in all ways.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with all the above. Only buy it if it's what you really want. If ultimately you want a M16 just keep saving.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I love my AC556, but it's not an M16.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:04:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a couple of M16s as well as an AC556K (blued 13" folder).

My take on which platform represents a better value depends upon what your plans/aspirations are.

Removing the financial aspect of the equation...the  M16 is a better platform, no doubt about that.   It is a better shooter, suppresses better, is more configurable/upgradeable, allows even the most mediocre of the mechanically inclined to endless tinker with different setups, has a more robust parts supply, has significant military history, etc.

That said an M16 conversion cost roughly twice what an AC556 does, so the question is for your use case is a M16 twice as nice as an AC556.

If you want a dedicated 5.56 machinegun that you will shoot a handful of times a year, don't have an interest in a bunch of conversion uppers,  don't really care about suppressing it, the AC556 will serve you well as a rifle caliber machinegun.  They are well designed guns, reliable, have a decent 22LR kit available, and many wear parts are interchangable with the older Mini-14s (worst case parts kits are available)

If you will only really only be happy with an M16, I would continue saving if an extra $10K assuming you can save it in a reasonable timeframe (12 to 24 months).

If it going to take more than 2 years to never...than get the AC556 and enjoy it until you can save up the extra $$$ for an M16 down the road.

Good luck with your decision.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw a AC556 pop up for sale a while and asked a good friend about them as he has been around this stuff for years. His main concern was that from what he had heard parts were drying up and that can be a long term concern. Back in the day they were great because Ruger would refurb them so they make great beater guns that were cheaply fixed.

I always thought they were cool guns though but maybe that's just the A-Team fan in me. Also had a crazy thought about building one in 300 blackout but that's a whole other story.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#7]
You can no longer get AC556 parts from Ruger. Melted them down years ago.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:11:22 PM EDT
[#8]
If your idea of shooting it is run a couple of mags and let it sit and cool, the Ruger will do fine with you.  If you actually want to shoot a thousand plus rounds in an afternoon, then the M16 is the way to go.  A Colt M16 was my first machinegun.  I could have gotten into the game cheaper, but I like to shoot.  Run a Beta C or four 30 rd mags, push two pins and replace the upper with another.  Shoot another Beta C or another four 30 rd mags, and switch to another upper.  With four or five uppers, by the time I go through all the uppers, the first one is cool enough that I can hold the barrel with my bare hand.  I didn't want to wait for the barrel to cool on a "one trick pony" type of machinegun.  My first experience shooting a machinegun was shoot three or four mags, and let the gun sit to cool off.  I hated the wait.  So OP what kind of shooter are you?  Are you sit and wait or lets shoot and shoot and shoot some more?

Scott
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 12:51:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I’d go M11/9 with a Lage 11/15 upper. More versatile than the Ruger and more robust, and cheaper, than the M16.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 2:14:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You can no longer get AC556 parts from Ruger. Melted them down years ago.
View Quote
Do you have any further information on this? Ruger stopped servicing them right after I bought mine, and I was always told they stopped making parts and ran out. This is the firs time I heard that they were "melted down".
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 2:38:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Do you have any further information on this? Ruger stopped servicing them right after I bought mine, and I was always told they stopped making parts and ran out. This is the firs time I heard that they were "melted down".
View Quote
My FFL/SOT is down the street from the factory. One of his contacts there called to tell him to order anything he might need for an AC556 since they were no longer making any more parts. "Melting down" is how I heard the story but it may have been hyperbole. I know from another source Ruger has tossed perfectly good parts from many old models rather than inventory and store them.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 2:53:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Definitely get the M16 over the Ruger.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 2:57:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Definitely get the M16 over the Ruger.
View Quote
Trying to sell one of my MACs to buy an M16 if you know anyone looking. It's on the EE.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 9:31:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My FFL/SOT is down the street from the factory. One of his contacts there called to tell him to order anything he might need for an AC556 since they were no longer making any more parts. "Melting down" is how I heard the story but it may have been hyperbole. I know from another source Ruger has tossed perfectly good parts from many old models rather than inventory and store them.
View Quote

And torch cut post samples go for around a grand now.....Ruger should have auctioned it off as a lot, and someone could have resold those parts. I got lucky in that I found a set of spare parts that weren't a fortune. Would be nice to see aftermarket AC556 specific parts available, but I'm not holding my breath.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top