Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2018 3:08:42 AM EDT
Hi everyone, I can't find AAL as a listing for an armory rebuild. I can find AA as a stamping for Augusta Arsenal. The stamping is on a Winchester M1 Carbine and it's on the left side of the stock behind the rear of the receiver as the stock starts down to the grip.

If this is an Augusta Arsenal rebuild. How are they? I know it will be a mix master. I'm just wondering how the rebuild quality is. I am just unfamiliar with them. I see Rick Island and CMP mentioned a lot.

Link to the add for the Winchester tell me what you think and give me an opinion on it.

Thanks for all the info and the help.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 9:32:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi everyone, I can't find AAL as a listing for an armory rebuild. I can find AA as a stamping for Augusta Arsenal. The stamping is on a Winchester M1 Carbine and it's on the left side of the stock behind the rear of the receiver as the stock starts down to the grip.

If this is an Augusta Arsenal rebuild. How are they? I know it will be a mix master. I'm just wondering how the rebuild quality is. I am just unfamiliar with them. I see Rick Island and CMP mentioned a lot.

Link to the add for the Winchester tell me what you think and give me an opinion on it.

View Quote
As I posted in a response to you in a different thread, AA, AAHO, AAL, AAP, AAR, and AAS are all Augusta Arsenal rework and inspection marks.  I'm going to suggest that you pick up one of the various books on collecting the M1 Carbine.  They will have much of the information you seek.

Description and picture are of a typical post war rebuild.  There were approximately a dozen different arsenals/ordnance depots that did rebuilds.  I don't know of any difference between them as far as "quality" goes.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As I posted in a response to you in a different thread, AA, AAHO, AAL, AAP, AAR, and AAS are all Augusta Arsenal rework and inspection marks.  I'm going to suggest that you pick up one of the various books on collecting the M1 Carbine.  They will have much of the information you seek.

Description and picture are of a typical post war rebuild.  There were approximately a dozen different arsenals/ordnance depots that did rebuilds.  I don't know of any difference between them as far as "quality" goes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. I need to get a book. Any recommendations on who and what one?
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:51:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

War Baby! Vol. 1
War Baby! Vol. 2
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:37:27 PM EDT
[#4]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

War Baby! Vol. 1
War Baby! Vol. 2
Thank you. I have seen those books floating around on the net and wasn't sure if they were good source material or not.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#5]
He's right you know.....   /|
Actually I think Volume III is the best of all 3....

https://www.amazon.com/War-Baby-III-Carbine-Century/dp/0889355509

Larry Ruth is the man on Carbines, knew him for 10 years before I moved down to TX...he personally did my data sheets on mine...expensive books, but worth it...

There is also this:

https://www.amazon.com/U-S-M1-Carbine-Production-Collectors/dp/B00DJU4WU2/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1541460832&sr=1-1&keywords=for+collectors+only+m1+carbine

Which you can surely find on the secondary market, not nearly as good as any of the War Baby's, but a handy dandy reference, especially for all the different part variations.

I will also concur, buy good references, and stop depending on the kindness of others who generally have bought the books, and learned the info for themselves.

There is a difference between true collectors and accumulators....collectors bite the bullet, and spend the money on good references, which generally aren't cheap (and also generally, if they are, they aren't necessarily good references)

If you are willing to spend $500 and up to several thousand dollars on a gun, buy the best references first, a $100-$200 investment up front can save you thousands (or gain you thousands)....

I have $1000's of dollars invested in my reference library...that's not to say I don't ask questions on things, there is always something to learn, but I can usually answer all my basic questions, and only need to ask for help in the esoteric....

I have been collecting seriously now for 30 years, and it built up over time. Figure out what interests you the most right now, and go buy the books, read them, then go seek what you want armed with knowledge. There is no substitute (except blind luck, which everyone usually gets a few times! )
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:11:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Larry Ruth is the man on Carbines, knew him for 10 years before I moved down to TX...he personally did my data sheets on mine...expensive books, but worth it...

There is also this:

https://www.amazon.com/U-S-M1-Carbine-Production-Collectors/dp/B00DJU4WU2/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1541460832&sr=1-1&keywords=for+collectors+only+m1+carbine

Which you can surely find on the secondary market, not nearly as good as any of the War Baby's, but a handy dandy reference, especially for all the different part variations.

I will also concur, buy good references, and stop depending on the kindness of others who generally have bought the books, and learned the info for themselves.

There is a difference between true collectors and accumulators....collectors bite the bullet, and spend the money on good references, which generally aren't cheap (and also generally, if they are, they aren't necessarily good references)

If you are willing to spend $500 and up to several thousand dollars on a gun, buy the best references first, a $100-$200 investment up front can save you thousands (or gain you thousands)....

I have $1000's of dollars invested in my reference library...that's not to say I don't ask questions on things, there is always something to learn, but I can usually answer all my basic questions, and only need to ask for help in the esoteric....

I have been collecting seriously now for 30 years, and it built up over time. Figure out what interests you the most right now, and go buy the books, read them, then go seek what you want armed with knowledge. There is no substitute (except blind luck, which everyone usually gets a few times! )
View All Quotes
Quoted:

There is also this:

I will be buying books on the rifles that interest me. Right now everything interest me. That in itself is a problem. I would like to have as many allied rifles as I can buy and then the rifles we faced in battle.

My interest seems to be vast. Enfield's really have my interest more so as of late and I own too now. I also own an M1 Garand that I want to learn more about as well as Mosion Nagant rifles since I now own one of those.

I feel I learn more from others. It's just the way my brain works. Retaining information at times is hard since having a stroke. Having a quick answer here and being able to go right back to the question about a certain subject has helped me in retaining things. The AAL was one I had not seen. AA is what I had seen. I didn't retain what you had posted.

It's hard knowing the right books to get by the right authors. Before my stroke I collected and restored cars. I would read books and email the publishing company about mistakes. I would correct thousands of post daily on car forums due to the wrong information. I know the importance of a good book by an author who has the knowledge.

I need to go to the book section of ARFcom and post asking what and who to read.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:18:46 AM EDT
[#7]
You'll probably get better info on what books to buy by asking here...

As we have discussed, the Skennerton book on the Enfield, along with Skip Strattons "For Collectors Only" volumes on the Enfield are perfect for the Enfield...

Larry Ruth's series from Collector Grade books, and the "For Collectors Only" book are great for the carbine...

The M1, look for Bruce Canfields books, also "For Collectors Only" has one on the Garand...

The "For Collectors Only" series covers a lot of different guns, and are an excellent quick and cheap resources, albeit they usually have some mistakes, but can't be beat for the price...you should definitely work on a library of them.

The best thing about them is they all go into detail on all the different part variations, and markings and such, oh, and accessories are covered usually too. They aren't necessarily the last word, but will answer a lot of questions on any single subject.

Just like eating an elephant, just pick up one book at a time, and after while, you will have a kick ass reference library...
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You'll probably get better info on what books to buy by asking here...

As we have discussed, the Skennerton book on the Enfield, along with Skip Strattons "For Collectors Only" volumes on the Enfield are perfect for the Enfield...

Larry Ruth's series from Collector Grade books, and the "For Collectors Only" book are great for the carbine...

The M1, look for Bruce Canfields books, also "For Collectors Only" has one on the Garand...

The "For Collectors Only" series covers a lot of different guns, and are an excellent quick and cheap resources, albeit they usually have some mistakes, but can't be beat for the price...you should definitely work on a library of them.

The best thing about them is they all go into detail on all the different part variations, and markings and such, oh, and accessories are covered usually too. They aren't necessarily the last word, but will answer a lot of questions on any single subject.

Just like eating an elephant, just pick up one book at a time, and after while, you will have a kick ass reference library...
View Quote
Thanks for the list! The Skennerton and Stratton books are on my list with a host of other For Collectors Only books. Canfields book I believe is also saved on my list. I need to double check that one. The Enfield books are high on my to get list first. After buying two I found I have a soft spot for them and the variants of those rifles. So I really want to open my collection up to the Enfield as well. The M1 Carbine and Garand too. I would like to have one of each maker. I also want an M1 Carbine without the upgraded sights and no bayonet lug. I have a lot to learn and I will be picking up the books. Christmas time is coming and maybe I will find some sales or good deals on eBay.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top