Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2018 5:42:25 PM EDT
Hey guys so Ive decided I want to get a 9mm pistol suppressor and I have narrowed it down to these three and I would appreciate If you guys that have experience with these could offer your advice/opinion on which to get. This will be shot on a glock 19, but I will eventually get a mp5k clone for it too. I want the suppressor to be very enjoyable and fun, as well as simplistic and durable.
Price difference between these three is negligible, omega 9k is just super simple an durable, tirant 9m is very light and quiet in full length and sexy in the k length, obsidian seems to offer very good suppression while being durable with steel baffles.

Is there a noticeable difference in sound and tone between the obsidian 9 and tirant 9m in both short and long?

rugged and sico have great warranties, how is aac? I read something about them being owned by Remington and im confused on the longevity and customer service of the company now

Is the omega 9k pretty quiet with subs?

Another thing I am very interested in is not just being quiet with subsonics but also having a nice cool sounding "swoosh" sound with supers ( that air puff sound that sounds like you are swinging a stick through the air or something, love how that sounds), I have seen some videos where pistol suppressors sound like this, and with others they just make a sharp pop that is quieter then unsuppressed. The omega 9k seems to have this aspect.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I don't consider the Omega-9K a "pistol" silencer. It's a 9mm silencer that CAN be mounted on pistols.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm playing the same "what can" game but more of a Obsidian 9 vs. TiRant 9M, Omega 9K vs. Wolf 9SD.

No experience with any of the below, but from my internet observation:

Enjoyable, you mean quiet?  Obsidian has no 2nd party test numbers out, but I bet they're close to the TiRant.
Obsidian / TiRant
Omega

In their K configs:
Omega
Obsidian / TiRant

Simplistic:
Omega
TiRant - baffle stack sequence may be more complex than the Obsidian, but the TiRant is tool-less.
Obsidian

Durable:
Omega - can run 300 supers
Obsidian
TiRant

What about .22LR, plan on shooting one?  Only the Obsidian would give you that capability (Omega manual doesn't explicitly say no rimfire, but I would assume because it is not user serviceable you'd want to avoid it).

Like Gopher said, the Omega isn't really in the same class as the other two.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#3]
dont own any rimfire guns, and would only get one if I already have a suppressor that would go well with one.
What I meant about being enjoyable is not just which is the quietest, im not sure if its due to the baffle design, diameter, shape, but different suppressors seems to produce a different type of sound, some are quiet but sound like nothing, some are quiet but have a deep poof sound, some have a "pew" type sound that kinda resembles what a silencer in a movie sounds like. Obviously more sound reduction= better, but I would like a suppressor that has a cool sounding tone. The omega 9k is obviously not as suited for a pistol as the other two I listed but the reason im considering it an option is because I have shot it (although indoors with supersonic ammo) and it sounded nice and I liked the feel of it on the gun, I feel like I would leave it on the gun . The obsidian seems to be the most sensible choice. Im leaning towards the tirant 9m because of the modularity, the weight, and seems to be one of the best in sound reduction, not sure how it compares in short mode. Also I love how the tirant 9m looks in both configurations, it such a clean look. The only thing is im not sure how great the warranty is, since the baffles are aluminum
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#4]
You should add the CGS Kraken to your list also, it's supposed to be the best metering 9mm can currently available. The only down side is it has aluminum baffles and it costs considerably more than the others you listed.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:26:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think once you get the MP5k or whatever pistol caliber carbine you end up with, you'll find that the can will spend more time on it than on your pistol(s).

So I'd go with the Omega 9K or Dead Air Wolf.  Suppressed pistols are cool for the first few mags, but they lose that coolness after a few mags, IMO.
View Quote
thanks for the input, would there be any drawbacks to a obsidian 9 or tirant 9m in short mode on a pcc with a 3lug mount compared to an omega 9k?
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You should add the CGS Kraken to your list also, it's supposed to be the best metering 9mm can currently available. The only down side is it has aluminum baffles and it costs considerably more than the others you listed.
View Quote
I think I read somewhere that CGS metered with freedom munitions 165 HUSH so dunno if the db readings are a fair comparison to other suppressor that used 147grain subsonic ammo that wasn't underpowered
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:44:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I went with Omega 9k for my handguns.  Other than a Les Baer TRS, all my handguns are 9mm.  I also own a CZ Scorpion Evo in micro K configuration that is 3-lugged.  So I bought 2 Omega 9ks,  1 will live on the Scorpion and the other will be shared with my 9mm pistol hosts.
I know others here don't really like the 9k over a traditional full size can for handgun use.  I made my decision based on how light and short the 9k is.  I'm going to run it on my HD sidearm.  It will be attached to the gun in my bedside safe.  Not really interested in a longer pistol suppressor at this point.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 10:34:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I went with Omega 9k for my handguns.  Other than a Les Baer TRS, all my handguns are 9mm.  I also own a CZ Scorpion Evo in micro K configuration that is 3-lugged.  So I bought 2 Omega 9ks,  1 will live on the Scorpion and the other will be shared with my 9mm pistol hosts.
I know others here don't really like the 9k over a traditional full size can for handgun use.  I made my decision based on how light and short the 9k is.  I'm going to run it on my HD sidearm.  It will be attached to the gun in my bedside safe.  Not really interested in a longer pistol suppressor at this point.
View Quote
Are you happy with the suppression level?  do you ever wish it was a bit more quiet?
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 10:59:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Suppressed pistols are cool for the first few mags, but they lose that coolness after a few mags, IMO.
View Quote
You must be doing it wrong then...

I love suppressed pistols, just don't consider the Omega-9K a pistol can.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 11:05:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Ti-rant 9m
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 11:17:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think I read somewhere that CGS metered with freedom munitions 165 HUSH so dunno if the db readings are a fair comparison to other suppressor that used 147grain subsonic ammo that wasn't underpowered
View Quote
Hansohn Brothers has metered the Kraken with AE 147gr 9mm on handgun and subgun, you can trust their numbers. Ray at TBAC also has one that he could meter.

- CGS Design Guy
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 12:43:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I just went through this and ended up going with the Rugged Obsidian 9. I have another SiCO pistol can so I am able to use the pistons from that and the fixed barrel spacer. I also have some smaller 9mm pistols I want to suppress and I like that the Rugged is almost an inch shorter in the K config. Also not being owned by Remington is a plus. It was also $120 cheaper (now $100 for some reason) in my zip code at silencershop. And personal preference - I like the looks better of the Obsidian.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 1:01:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I have the octane 9 and omega 9k, as well as other 9mm cans, and I would get a modular 9mm before the omega 9k if that was my only pistol can. The omega 9k is awesome, just not full size can quiet, and I think something like the Tirant m would give you a nice compromise. Then you could go full-size for giggles and short for bedside.

eta: the second silencerco releases a modular octane 9 i'm Ordering one
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 1:05:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just went through this and ended up going with the Rugged Obsidian 9. I have another SiCO pistol can so I am able to use the pistons from that and the fixed barrel spacer. I also have some smaller 9mm pistols I want to suppress and I like that the Rugged is almost an inch shorter in the K config. Also not being owned by Remington is a plus. It was also $120 cheaper (now $100 for some reason) in my zip code at silencershop. And personal preference - I like the looks better of the Obsidian.
View Quote
can you explained what the deal is remington and aac, is their service bad?
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 1:45:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

can you explained what the deal is remington and aac, is their service bad?
View Quote
People say Remington's quality went way downhill when they were bought by Freedom Group and Remington subsequently bought AAC.

Read today Remington is about to enter bankruptcy also.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 6:38:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I will say their customer service was excellent post sellout around 2 years ago when I had to get my 762sd serviced. My brother in law has the TIrant m, and it is a very nice can.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Are you happy with the suppression level?  do you ever wish it was a bit more quiet?
View Quote
I am, but that is relative to my situation.  Nobody I know or shoot with owns suppressors, so I have nothing to compare to.  I've shot the 1 Omega 9k on my Scorpion/Glock 17 and Beretta M9A3.  It makes them pleasant to shoot without ear protection to *me*.  Might not be so much to someone else, or to someone who owns longer pistol cans.  I have a SiCo Hybrid pending that I can run on my handguns if I'm wanting more suppression.  I'm doubting very much that I will.  I purchased the 2 Omega 9ks for a purpose, 1 permanently on a CZ Scorpion and the other for my bedside pistol,. and I'm still happy I did.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:40:35 PM EDT
[#21]
For those of you with an omega 9k, would you be disappointed if that was your only pistol can, i read some reports where people say their omega 9k didnt sound much different then a fullsize pistol can aside from first round pop, and that given how small it is and how the gun recoils with it , its their favorite, Its the only pistol suppressor I have shot, and even with supers in an indoor range, it was a very nice experience, I just wanted to keep shooting it
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 2:36:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 3:05:01 PM EDT
[#23]
This is relevant to my interests. I too am in the market for my first dedicated 9mm can.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I can't help you with the swoosh sound (I try to wear hearing protection even when shooting suppressed) but my Omega 9k is fast becoming a favorite because for its size and weight it does a lot of things well enough.   A few months back I wouldn't have recommended it as a first suppressor,  seeing it as sort of a specialty can.  Then I realized it's my only can that hardly ever sits in the safe.  When it isn't on a 8.5" 300BO or a 4.5" 9mm AR upper it lives on a Glock 43.  That combo is almost as short as a Maxim 9 but can be made carry small by swapping in a thread protector.  If you want light and quiet on 9 then a Tirant 9M is a good option.  If you want versatile without supersonic 300BO then an Obsidian 45 or 9 has a lot to offer.  If you don't want suppressor height sights or a red dot then the AAC Illusion 9 is something to consider.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I can't help you with the swoosh sound (I try to wear hearing protection even when shooting suppressed) but my Omega 9k is fast becoming a favorite because for its size and weight it does a lot of things well enough.   A few months back I wouldn't have recommended it as a first suppressor,  seeing it as sort of a specialty can.  Then I realized it's my only can that hardly ever sits in the safe.  When it isn't on a 8.5" 300BO or a 4.5" 9mm AR upper it lives on a Glock 43.  That combo is almost as short as a Maxim 9 but can be made carry small by swapping in a thread protector.  If you want light and quiet on 9 then a Tirant 9M is a good option.  If you want versatile without supersonic 300BO then an Obsidian 45 or 9 has a lot to offer.  If you don't want suppressor height sights or a red dot then the AAC Illusion 9 is something to consider.
View Quote
what it really comes down to is how much suppression do you really need to enjoy using a suppressor and to keep it on your pistol? Since I have little experience with them i dont have a great idea of what they sound like in practice, sure in  video a long can with hush ammo it sounds very quiet and a short one sounds a good bit louder, but there are aspects like handling and overall comfort and tone I dont have much of an idea on. So my dilemma is do I get a long suppressor which might be impressive in sound reduction but but would get annoying to use and i would just end up using it in short configuration being since the sound is good enough and its more practical. Or do I risk getting a tiny, simple duty suppressor that will make much more sense as i get into subguns, and which seemed to sound good (considering I dont have anything to compare it to so in reality it could be terrible just still better then no suppressor). At what point are there diminishing returns on performance? At what db level is it a novelty and at what level is the extra suppression worth the length and weight. Someone needs to give some no bs input on actually how quiet is something like a full length tirant or obsidian, and realistically how loud is something like an omega 9k in comparison. where is the sweet spot?

I havent heard anyone discuss  this so ill emphasize it too, in my limited experience involving an omega 9k what was the most enjoyable about it wasn't how loud or not loud it was but the swooshing puff of air sound it created that sounded like a whip or a long stick flying through the air. It sounded somewhat close to the artificial pew sound silencers make in movies while not as quiet. Have seen a couple videos where it makes this sound, and in some it did not. Havent heard other pistol suppressors sound like this but maybe they all sound like this in person and not behind a microphone.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#26]
You're never going to get the answer you're looking for unless you actually go shoot them all side by side.

You might find you can't tell the difference.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 10:23:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You're never going to get the answer you're looking for unless you actually go shoot them all side by side.

You might find you can't tell the difference.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 10:42:57 PM EDT
[#28]
On my Glock 23 with a 9mm conversion barrel shooting 147 gn subsonics my Omega 9k sounds the same or very close to an Octane 45 and a little less sharp than a Huntertown Guardian 9.  The difference being these cans are heavier and longer, but don't obscure the sights as much.  Once you get used to lining up the sites through the silhouette of the can the extra girth of  the Omega 9k is no issue.  So I don't think the Omega is settling until you go for maximum suppression.  The trade there is a Tirant 9M, Octane 9, Obsidian 9, or CGS Kraken will be longer to get those slightly quieter shots. In shorter mode I doubt they'll be any quieter than the Omega 9k.  Long pistol cans aren't bad for nightstand gun but is otherwise cumbersome.   For  me the ability to take the edge off supersonic 300BO is the edge the Omega 9k has over most other pistol cans, but if that isn't a use case you might prefer the flexibility of a modular can.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 7:58:24 AM EDT
[#29]
i had the same question last month

went with rugged 9mm
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:06:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
i had the same question last month

went with rugged 9mm
View Quote
+1

Obsidian 9 due to stainless steel baffles and user serviceability.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:30:13 AM EDT
[#31]
How much should weight play as the Tirant 9m (9.3oz) aluminum is around 36% lighter than the Obsidian 9 (12.7oz) stainless in their full configurations.  With no intentions of shooting cast lead or 22 ammo seems the big weight savings especially on a pistol would be a huge plus.  I ask because I am still debating between these two.   frp on the Obsidian 9

The Omega 9k is great little can and I have 2 of them. I would highly recommend one especially if you have a pcc.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 11:35:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#33]
the weight and length issue aren't as much of a concern for me when the suppressors are modular, since the short configuration would be used when i need more practical shooting and handling characteristics. I think ive narrowed it down to the obsidian and omega 9k, i like the tirant 9m but considering whats happening with the company and the more durable construction of the others and superior warranties cant choose it as my first. The last thing I want is to be paranoid that something might come loose and get damaged and a company might not be around to fix it. I think I really need to hear a video comparing the 9k and obsidian 9 in short, an maybe find a range where i cant rent some suppressed pistol just to get some more experience
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top