Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2023 4:12:59 PM EDT
I remember these costing almost $2000 back during the AAC 1.0 days and being a pretty obscure suppressor. Now they are everywhere for $950 or less but there doesn’t seem to be any info on them out there.

How fragile are they? I see the test rifle is a 20” 300 win mag but they are recommended for bolt guns only.  Is that due to the Ti construction not dealing well with heat or something else?

How much back pressure do they generate?

I’m having a hard time not FOing on one is these for my SCAR 20.

Any info or person experience is appreciated.

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#1]
OTB or are they just long?
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OTB or are they just long?
View Quote

9.5” long 15oz

Takes the 90 tooth mounts

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#3]
The Mk-13’s are very robust. They were designed for bolt gun use, so back pressure was never a design consideration. They rarely, if ever, came back for repair.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1.0 1997-2018
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 5:39:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 300TM, which I think is the same construction, but direct thread. It’s light and I’ve had good service out of it.
I have had it on a bolt gun and a Handi-Rifle. So, I can’t really speak to the back pressure.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#5]
The Mk-13 uses five scalloped, slanted baffles with no real coaxial volume or venting. Interestingly, the first ones were made by turning down cores for the Titan .338 can to fit in a smaller diameter envelope. They are great bolt gun cans.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1.0 1998-2018
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the responses guys

Quoted:
The Mk-13 uses five scalloped, slanted baffles with no real coaxial volume or venting. Interestingly, the first ones were made by turning down cores for the Titan .338 can to fit in a smaller diameter envelope. They are great bolt gun cans.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1.0 1998-2018
View Quote

Do you think I’d have issues running one on a SCAR 20? I have no issues swapping gas jets if necessary.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#7]
If you can get the gun gassed right, it should make an excellent precision rifle can. The baffles are pretty thick, but try to abide by the general rules of Ti and let it cool down in between “vigorous” strings of fire.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1.0 1998-2018
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you can get the gun gassed right, it should make an excellent precision rifle can. The baffles are pretty thick, but try to abide by the general rules of Ti and let it cool down in between “vigorous” strings of fire.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1.0 1998-2018
View Quote

Perfect. It’s my precision gas gun so no vigorous strings of fire. Ideally it’s locate, range, engage…hit. Move to the next target. In real life it’s located, range, engage…miss, miss, miss….hit. Move to the next target. So it should work for what I want it to do.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Perfect. It’s my precision gas gun so no vigorous strings of fire. Ideally it’s locate, range, engage…hit. Move to the next target. In real life it’s located, range, engage…miss, miss, miss….hit. Move to the next target. So it should work for what I want it to do.
View Quote

AAC and their ratchet system sucks for accuracy if my experience and research proves right.... aac= the suck. find a better company to buy a lifetime commitment from. I will NEVER buy another aac suppressor again....
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Our last podcast guest was a two time International Sniper Competition Competitor/ Army Sniper who went to school with those cans and he had some unsolicited comments about his negative experience with them.  If memory serves me correctly the issues he mentioned were pretty common in his sniper course, were accuracy issues.

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-ciqqp-171b5f6d?utm_campaign=w_share_ep&utm_medium=dlink&utm_source=w_share
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AAC and their ratchet system sucks for accuracy if my experience and research proves right.... aac= the suck. find a better company to buy a lifetime commitment from. I will NEVER buy another aac suppressor again....

Our last podcast guest was a two time International Sniper Competition Competitor/ Army Sniper who went to school with those cans and he had some unsolicited comments about his negative experience with them.  If memory serves me correctly the issues he mentioned were pretty common in his sniper course, were accuracy issues.

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-ciqqp-171b5f6d?utm_campaign=w_share_ep&utm_medium=dlink&utm_source=w_share

I’ll have to give it a listen. I find it hard to believe NSW/crane/socom or whoever was responsible for selecting suppressors for the Mk13 didn’t have any kind of accuracy requirement.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:14:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:33:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I’ll have to give it a listen. I find it hard to believe NSW/crane/socom or whoever was responsible for selecting suppressors for the Mk13 didn’t have any kind of accuracy requirement.
View Quote

Would you believe that contracts may not always issued to the best performer? My experience is clearly my own and I am not an operator or even a decent shooter. AAC burned me and I hope to share the good news of encouraging others to learn from my sufferings.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

We can fix that, but unless it were a killer deal, it wouldn't make any sense to buy a can you know is going to need converted rather than just starting with one that has a good mounting system or is threaded industry standard 1.375-24.

We've had a number of Mk13s and 300 TMs through for conversion, but I've never actually put rounds through one, so I can't comment to their efficacy or effects on precision.  Also not that light for a TI can, IMO.   1.5 x 9.5" and 15 ounces, while the 1.5 x 9.0" TBAC Ultra 9 is 10 ounces in CB trim, and we were able to get our 1.6 x 9.0" Accipiter .30 to come in at 10.2 ounces without mount, which is not exactly a lightly built can, either; able to take .300 RUM.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I was a little surprised to hear the cans were wearing out and causing accuracy issues on bolt guns, but then .300Win mag isn't a low power round either and guns can get to high round counts in that environment.

I think the XM2010 was selected by the Army.  So I don't think Socom was involved.  Wikipedia says Picatinny Arsenal PEO soldier (Program Executive Office Soldier) did the selection.  

https://www.army.mil/article/45970/army-awards-contract-for-upgraded-sniper-weapon-system/

Remington makes sense as the Army Sniper program was essentially using Remington as the go to company, and Leupold for optics since the 80's.  AAC was owned by Remington at that point.  Previous to that, all Remington sniper rifles using suppressors had used Ops Inc suppressors, with maybe the exception of 25th ID which got Surefire suppressors on some 300 win mag converted AICS equipped M24 upgrade/retrofit rifles.

The original accuracy requirement for the XM2010 was 1MOA at 200meters. ~2.094" at 200meters, for the brand new XM2010 rifles.  1MOA represents 3 times the group size of the M24, and would have been considered shot out for an M24 in .308.  The original accuracy requirement for the 7.62X51 M24 was .35MOA for 10,000 rounds, and apparently a few were tested and found to hold that at 20,000 rounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was a little surprised to hear the cans were wearing out and causing accuracy issues on bolt guns, but then .300Win mag isn't a low power round either and guns can get to high round counts in that environment.

I think the XM2010 was selected by the Army.  So I don't think Socom was involved.  Wikipedia says Picatinny Arsenal PEO soldier (Program Executive Office Soldier) did the selection.  

https://www.army.mil/article/45970/army-awards-contract-for-upgraded-sniper-weapon-system/

Remington makes sense as the Army Sniper program was essentially using Remington as the go to company, and Leupold for optics since the 80's.  AAC was owned by Remington at that point.  Previous to that, all Remington sniper rifles using suppressors had used Ops Inc suppressors, with maybe the exception of 25th ID which got Surefire suppressors on some 300 win mag converted AICS equipped M24 upgrade/retrofit rifles.

The original accuracy requirement for the XM2010 was 1MOA at 200meters. ~2.094" at 200meters, for the brand new XM2010 rifles.  1MOA represents 3 times the group size of the M24, and would have been considered shot out for an M24 in .308.  The original accuracy requirement for the 7.62X51 M24 was .35MOA for 10,000 rounds, and apparently a few were tested and found to hold that at 20,000 rounds.

I don’t know anything about the xm2010. I figured the Mk13 was a Navy thing that maybe saw wider adoption. I know they started with the KAC reflex suppressor and then by the time they got to mod whatever they ended up with the Surefire, not sure exactly when and how the AAC slotted in there.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:43:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s simply not true.  In the solicitation for this can, it met accuracy requirements that included removal and re-mounting.  I have that exact can and have used it on 5 different rifles with no accuracy loss.  It has a consistent .8 MOA shift from suppressed to UN suppressed…which is in line with my Surefire cans.  

Crane tested the AAC can and validated it.  

The 416 that shot UBL in the face was wearing a AAC can and mount.

The AAC 90t mounts are fine.  

Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:01:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

To be be fair, he was shot at 8 feet not 800yds with that particular setup

Quoted:

I think it was Marcus Luttrell in his book talking about accuracy and suppressors that shifted on the barrels.  Might’ve been Chris Kyle but I think it was in Line Survivor.  Definitely not the OPS can but probably NT4s
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That’s simply not true.  In the solicitation for this can, it met accuracy requirements that included removal and re-mounting.  I have that exact can and have used it on 5 different rifles with no accuracy loss.  It has a consistent .8 MOA shift from suppressed to UN suppressed…which is in line with my Surefire cans.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@FedDC of those 5 rifles were any of them gas guns?
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#20]
The solicitation for the MK 13 can was a precision rifle based can in 300 win mag.  That’s what it was built around. Anything else might work or might not…but it’s not part of the test criteria.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 5:12:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

To be be fair, he was shot at 8 feet not 800yds with that particular setup

I think it was Marcus Luttrell in his book talking about accuracy and suppressors that shifted on the barrels.  Might’ve been Chris Kyle but I think it was in Line Survivor.  Definitely not the OPS can but probably NT4s
View Quote

The NT4 definitely cause(d)(s) a notable but repeatable POI shift. Not a big deal, though.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The NT4 definitely cause(d)(s) a notable but repeatable POI shift. Not a big deal, though.
View Quote

The NT4 was awesome...but odd.  It was truly advanced for its time.  It had a ton of engineered features to meet the durability spec...so much so that it ended up with a relatively large bore and uber thick baffles.  The can is/was so durable that a lot of them ended up on SAWs and were made to glow numerous times with no real damage.  That's an insane level of durability.  Plus, you could easily remove it...sometimes too easy.  It is heavy...kinda loud...and has POI shift, but it was hell for stout.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 5:37:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The NT4 was awesome...but odd.  It was truly advanced for its time.  It had a ton of engineered features to meet the durability spec...so much so that it ended up with a relatively large bore and uber thick baffles.  The can is/was so durable that a lot of them ended up on SAWs and were made to glow numerous times with no real damage.  That's an insane level of durability.  Plus, you could easily remove it...sometimes too easy.  It is heavy...kinda loud...and has POI shift, but it was hell for stout.
View Quote

Yup. I’ve used them on a Mk46, complete with glowing, and no noticeable damage.

I think I remember my POI shift for a M4 was like ten inches, 12 o’clock.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The solicitation for the MK 13 can was a precision rifle based can in 300 win mag.  That’s what it was built around. Anything else might work or might not…but it’s not part of the test criteria.
View Quote

I understand, just hoping someone had first had experience with it on a gas gun. I’ll know if it works in about a year and report back.  Thanks to everyone for all the good info.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 12:17:41 AM EDT
[#25]
I have one. It generates a lot of backpressure and per AACs own documents is not suitable for gas-operated firearms. The SCAR17s gas issues would make this probably an aweful choice for the platform.

It does perform very well on bolt actions, both in terms of accuracy and sound suppression. All of my precision rifles burp some gas out of the chamber when ejecting a spent case-- but I did notice the mk13 seems to hold the gas in the bore for longer then say a thunderbeast 7.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:23:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have one. It generates a lot of backpressure and per AACs own documents is not suitable for gas-operated firearms. The SCAR17s gas issues would make this probably an aweful choice for the platform.

It does perform very well on bolt actions, both in terms of accuracy and sound suppression. All of my precision rifles burp some gas out of the chamber when ejecting a spent case-- but I did notice the mk13 seems to hold the gas in the bore for longer then say a thunderbeast 7.
View Quote

What “gas issues” would that be?
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 12:42:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#28]
How similar/different is the mk13 to the titan?

Didn't know the Titan was monocore

Link Posted: 5/2/2023 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#29]
The first of the Mk-13's were made by taking Titan cores and turning them down to the smaller diameter. Most of the coax from the Titan cores was lost, but the baffle shape and spacing was identical.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1.0 1998-2018
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a Titan that is exclusively shot on a .30.  I don’t have dB numbers or anything empirical, but I’ve shot thousands (and/or heard 10s of thousands) of rounds of .300WM fired through them.

Don’t let the monocore scare you. I know all the cool kids say monocore=bad, but they’re stupid and just repeat what they saw their YouTube say.  The tone of the Titan and MK13 are exquisite.

The pitch is low (low (LOW)), and the after-exit pressure release (there’s probably a technical term for that but I’m just a knuckle-dragger) is so long that you get a very discernible and distinct WHUMP and HISSSSS…

Its signature is fucking divine.

If Hollywood wasn’t so gay, instead of the pew-pew lispy sound we all know from the movies, the quintessential silencer sound would have been that of the TiTan/Mk13SD.

SilentMike could tell you how much changed between the TiTan and the Mk13, but my ears mysteriously self-lubricate whenever I hear either of them.

WHUMP HISSSSSSS….
WHUMP HISSSSSSSS….

Just buy the damned thing. It’s silencer art.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 10:54:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
How similar/different is the mk13 to the titan?

Didn't know the Titan was monocore

https://i.imgur.com/hSiKOKph.jpg
View Quote

That looks like a giant Prodigy core!
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:01:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thats a pretty large shift.  I shim mounted (per the manual) one on a 16” heavy fluted, free floated rifle and my shift was 2.5-3moa to six oclock (low) at 100meters.  I do remember it opened groups from about 1-1.25 moa to ~2.5-3moa, and that my first group put two eyes and three or four more rounds into a smiley face arc under the “eyes” as the can rotated shot to shot on the mount, and that performance was a little underwhelming for a fairly accurate rifle with a leupold 2-8spr optic.

It seemed to throw rounds with the current latest axial position of the can as it radially indexed a bit differently with every shot fired.
View Quote

Could just be my piss-poor memory, too. This was on a Block I, with its stupid barrel profile.

I can confirm that the Titan works well. I never would have known it was a mono.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 9:42:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of folks have had issues with bolt breakage when running suppressed and have had issues with FN denying the warranty. I seem to recall the AAC SCAR-H SD had some issues in military service on the rifle as well.

I agree on the tone and suppression of the mk13. I've shot it on 308, 6.5cm, and 6cm. The 6CM wasnt being picked up by the PACT shot timer.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 11:35:58 PM EDT
[#34]
To say the SCAR H can was problematic is a understatement of epic proportions.

By the time we started working on the SCAR H (Now called the SCAR 17), most of the base host was locked in and could not be changed. The gas regulator was locked in before we had ever designed a can for the gun.

The resulting cantilevered can had too much back pressure and over drove the rifle, leading to malfunctions and broken components. There was no time to refine the design.

FN in Belgium figured it out.

They had us drill 8 holes in the coaxial volume over the barrel. 8 very precisely sized and located holes.

This dropped the pressure down so that the gun ran and did not break.

There were a few problems with this direction.

The main issue was the 8 plumes of fire sprouting from those holes. Every time you pulled the trigger it was like you were telexing the enemy "Here-I-Am", "Here-I-Am", "Here-I-Am".

For three or four years after we delivered those cans, I'd be at a trade show and would have a couple of compact, fit, young guys with great tans and beards ask me general questions. Eventually, talk would come around to the SCAR H cans and those 8 f*&king holes and why they were there.

All I could say was "sorry!".

And I meant it.  

The other issue revolved around the ammo used at the time. It generated a lot of particulate matter that was the size and shape of aquarium gravel. Guess where the gas pushed the "gravel"? Into the 8 holes and blocked them! The can got quieter, with better flash characteristics, but the gun suffered.

The FN SCAR episode was neither mine, nor AAC's, finest hour. But it did set the stage for better things and successes to come.......

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1.0 1998-2018
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 12:21:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

By the time we started working on the SCAR H (Now called the SCAR 17), most of the base host was locked in and could not be changed. The gas regulator was locked in before we had ever designed a can for the gun.

The resulting cantilevered can had too much back pressure and over drove the rifle, leading to malfunctions and broken components. There was no time to refine the design.

They had us drill 8 holes in the coaxial volume over the barrel. 8 very precisely sized and located holes.

The main issue was the 8 plumes of fire sprouting from those holes. Every time you pulled the trigger it was like you were telexing the enemy "Here-I-Am", "Here-I-Am", "Here-I-Am".

For three or four years after we delivered those cans, I'd be at a trade show and would have a couple of compact, fit, young guys with great tans and beards ask me general questions. Eventually, talk would come around to the SCAR H cans and those 8 f*&king holes and why they were there.

And I meant it.  

The other issue revolved around the ammo used at the time. It generated a lot of particulate matter that was the size and shape of aquarium gravel. Guess where the gas pushed the "gravel"? Into the 8 holes and blocked them! The can got quieter, with better flash characteristics, but the gun suffered.

The FN SCAR episode was neither mine, nor AAC's, finest hour. But it did set the stage for better things and successes to come.......

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1.0 1998-2018
View Quote

This is the best history lesson I’ve had in a while
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 12:34:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

And I meant it.  

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1.0 1998-2018
View Quote

Thanks! I didnt want to speak to things I cant remember accurately so I left it pretty vague. Last thing I'd want to hear is OP having to replace a bolt or stamped can.

The gas plug part makes sense. With a modified gas plug port diameter the problem should be resolvable?
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would love to see a picture of this if you have one.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 3:03:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

A lot of folks have had issues with bolt breakage when running suppressed and have had issues with FN denying the warranty. I seem to recall the AAC SCAR-H SD had some issues in military service on the rifle as well.

I agree on the tone and suppression of the mk13. I've shot it on 308, 6.5cm, and 6cm. The 6CM wasnt being picked up by the PACT shot timer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve got no issues with changing gas jets and couldn’t care less about potentially voiding the warranty.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have a Titan that is exclusively shot on a .30.  I don’t have dB numbers or anything empirical, but I’ve shot thousands (and/or heard 10s of thousands) of rounds of .300WM fired through them.

Don’t let the monocore scare you. I know all the cool kids say monocore=bad, but they’re stupid and just repeat what they saw their YouTube say.  The tone of the Titan and MK13 are exquisite.

The pitch is low (low (LOW)), and the after-exit pressure release (there’s probably a technical term for that but I’m just a knuckle-dragger) is so long that you get a very discernible and distinct WHUMP and HISSSSS…

Its signature is fucking divine.

If Hollywood wasn’t so gay, instead of the pew-pew lispy sound we all know from the movies, the quintessential silencer sound would have been that of the TiTan/Mk13SD.

SilentMike could tell you how much changed between the TiTan and the Mk13, but my ears mysteriously self-lubricate whenever I hear either of them.

WHUMP HISSSSSSS….
WHUMP HISSSSSSSS….

Just buy the damned thing. It’s silencer art.
View Quote

I did. I’ll see what all the hype is about in 10 months.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top