Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2020 8:23:38 PM EDT
I didnt think they existed anymore but I found a sporterized mauser for 99 bucks, saw it was a k98 with an interesting crest and FO'ed. Knew it was a CZ and the crest was some Czech or Slovak thing.

A bit of research showed it was a post war k98, no idea on date. Most I saw had a different trigger guard/magazine. I think whoever sporterized it took off the "winter trigger guard" and put a standard one on. All the rifle bits matched, the stock was not matching. The barrel is brand new looking, and very few had the crest intact and those that did, had circle T marks on them.

What's strange is, this rifle has no import marks, no ownership marks, no circle T, orginal finish, matching and some german marks on those same matching parts. I dont know where or what this rifle did. I picked up a stock set on the cheap, and have a K98 for under 300 bucks, so a win in my books.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

If anyone knows anything about these, I would appreciate your input!
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 8:26:23 PM EDT
[#1]
And before, and I warn you, its ugly.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 1:48:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Your barreled action is  a pre war Czechoslovakian VZ-24 Mauser, not a K98k. The Czechoslovakian Lion Crest was discontinued in 1939 so it isn't a post war rifle at all. The bolt appears to be from a German K98k, many VZ-24's were captured by the Germans and used by the German Army. Some ended up with K98k bolts during rework by the Germans or during post war use by the Romanians although the electro pencil number on the safety lever isn't something either country did as far as I know. Not sure exactly what you have, could be a German rework or Romanian rework that got Bubba'd here in the U.S. or it could be a parts rifle. Either way that K98k stock you put it in probably isn't correct for it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 8:50:35 AM EDT
[#3]
The vz24 has a full top hand guard, as in it goes back to the receiver ring, this has a retainer on the front of the rear sight block set up for a short k98k hand guard. Around 42' the germans switched production from vz24 to a full k98k copy.

I also thought this was a vz24, and it was sold to me as such. From what I can tell there isn't much info on them out there save this https://www.milsurps.com/content.php?r=159-1945-1950-Post-War-Czech-K98k-(Karabiner-98)-Rifle and a few posts on other places.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 4:55:49 PM EDT
[#4]
It's definitely a K98 barrel as it has the handguard retainer ring for the K98's handguard. I do agree at that receiver is a pre-war Czech receiver though. The K98 and the VZ24 did share the same large ring action.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top