Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2021 7:53:21 AM EDT
A local pawn shop has a WINCHESTER MODEL 1894 - 38-55 CALIBER, BLUE, LEVER, 38-55 WINCHESTER, 26 inch long barrel , 1900 MFG DATE,
Looks nice, I know 38-55 is somewhat available at $2-4 a shot.
Would a 1900 manufacturer date be save to shoot the normal modern loads?
Is $2000 too much for it?

I don't think I need it for that price.
For anyone who is interested

Link
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 8:52:43 AM EDT
[#1]
.38-55 brass and dies are available.(I sold mine 15 years ago)..........it's very similar to .375 Winchester
I'm not current on price but I suspect $2000 is in the ballpark......depends on condition
I would not fire full power loads......simply because there's no need to do that to a 120 year old hard-to-find rifle.

good luck............
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 8:53:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Price is too high in my opinion and likely will not shoot commercial grade 38-55 as bore diameters were all over the place for the old rifles.

If you were to decide to go further with it be sure to check the bore well as a lot of the guns had BP shot in them.

I have a couple of 38-55 rifles and they are wonderful shooters but it took a while to get a load up and going because of the bore diameter thing.

Both of mine shoot a different diameter of lead bullet I cast for them.Believe it or not they will ring a 24" steel plate @ 500yrds.With quality Vernier tang sights.

It does take a while for the bullet to get there though
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 12:45:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree that the price is too high. It's a fun gun for reaching out a long range but not something I'd want to carry around while hunting...

If you don't reload, it might be the one that gets you into reloading. If you don't plan to reload, I'd pass.

If you want that gun then by all means, grab it. You can't go wrong buying an old Winchester....it'll hold its value for sure.

There's a good thread in the  manual operated forum at Caguns
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top