Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/22/2019 6:21:23 PM EDT
I guess most of us have heard the saying that a lever action was the "first assault rifle."

I was thinking about the knee jerk reactions in New Zealand and thought if automatic weapons were no longer available.

For the sake of discussion assume that tomorrow every semi automatic rifle did not exist so what would we turn to?

Pump shotguns or bring out grandpa's 30-30? I like my pump guns but also like the idea of a 200 to possibly 300 yard capable cartridge and rifle.

Bottom line, I'm leaning toward either a 94 or 336 with the Marlin being scoped with a true 1x4 illuminated reticle and the 94 with a full aperture ghost ring sight.

What do you think about the LEVERevolution load for distance and plenty of 150 or 170 for general purpose?

I like how you can load additional loose rounds as you may need them.

I would consider adding a 357 to the cabinet if they are as dependable feeding enough to "bet your life on?" I like the increased capacity but fear reliability due to rim's. Yes I know the 30-30 is a rimmed cartridge but never heard of feeding reliability issues.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Better than nothing but it's no AR
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 6:46:25 PM EDT
[#2]
A 5.56 lever gun that feeds from a 20 or 30 round internal box magazine fed from stripper clips would be pretty handy in places where laws are full retard. Threaded for a can too since no action cycling would make it nice and quiet.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A 5.56 lever gun that feeds from a 20 or 30 round internal box magazine fed from stripper clips would be pretty handy in places where laws are full retard. Threaded for a can too since no action cycling would make it nice and quiet.
View Quote
I like your idea and while we are at it we can also make it in a slightly larger frame for 308/7.62x51!
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Swords and muskets all around boys.

If you want a lever gun by all means own one.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 11:04:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Coffin Nails - For a Few Burgers More
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 1:37:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Rossi Model 1892 short rifle (20") and Rossi Model 92 rifle (24").  With a Marbles tang sight and Lyman 17AHB front sight they'll both shoot 2 MOA 5 shot groups at 100 yards with Federal 158 gr JSP.  The velocity with those loads is 1820 fps.  With a 150 yd zero it's a maximum of 3 3/4" high at 85 yards and 4" low at 175 yards.   At 150 yards it still has 1350 fps and 640 ft pounds - basically 4" .357 Mag revolver performance at the muzzle.

With 125 gr XTP handloads, I get 2210 fps and the same 2 MOA accuracy at 100 yards.  With a 170 yard zero it's 3 3/4" high at 95 yards, and 4" low at 200 yards.  At 170 yards it has 1422 fps and 561 ft pounds.

-----

I have three Pre-64 Model 94 Winchesters in .30-30 and with Lyman or Marbles tang sights all three will shoot 1.5 MOA 5 shot groups at 100 yards with 150 gr Winchester factory ammo and will do the same with Hornady 150 gr SP handloads.  With a 200 yard zero it's a maximum of 3 3/4" high at 105 yards and 4" low at 235 yards.  At 200 yards it has 1725 fps and 990 ft pounds.

-----

The .357 Magnum  has enough terminal performance and a flat enough trajectory to get the job done out to 175-200 yards, and only gives up about 30 to 50 yards of point blank effective range to the .30-30. It also has an advantage in magazine capacity for a similar magazine length.  However, one major advantage of any gate loading lever action is that you can top the magazine off while moving with the rifle always in battery, ready to fire and feed another round from the magazine.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#7]
This is how I set up one of my truck guns. I'm still deciding if I want to put a tang sight on it or jump to a red dot. I may go with the red dot just because I already screwed up its lines with the light.

As a .30-30 trapper the capacity is only 5 rounds but it beats a pointy stick.

Link Posted: 3/23/2019 3:35:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd feel far from outgunned with my 336. It's got a crappy cheap optic on it at the moment; I'll buy a Weaver 1-3x20 soon.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 4:12:23 PM EDT
[#9]
this is a shotgun, but something like this in 556 that takes stanag magazines would likely be developed pretty soon after such a ban took effect. there is not really a market for it at the moment.

Or the pump version

Link Posted: 3/23/2019 7:18:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I guess most of us have heard the saying that a lever action was the "first assault rifle."

I was thinking about the knee jerk reactions in New Zealand and thought if automatic weapons were no longer available.

For the sake of discussion assume that tomorrow every semi automatic rifle did not exist so what would we turn to?

Pump shotguns or bring out grandpa's 30-30? I like my pump guns but also like the idea of a 200 to possibly 300 yard capable cartridge and rifle.

Bottom line, I'm leaning toward either a 94 or 336 with the Marlin being scoped with a true 1x4 illuminated reticle and the 94 with a full aperture ghost ring sight.

What do you think about the LEVERevolution load for distance and plenty of 150 or 170 for general purpose?

I like how you can load additional loose rounds as you may need them.

I would consider adding a 357 to the cabinet if they are as dependable feeding enough to "bet your life on?" I like the increased capacity but fear reliability due to rim's. Yes I know the 30-30 is a rimmed cartridge but never heard of feeding reliability issues.

Thoughts?
View Quote
357 is psychologically misleading in a lever gun.

The recoil impulse is short and small yet what the bullets do when stricking things is immense.

Load up 158gr XTP’s  and they wound better than 5.56.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 7:21:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
If laws are retarted to force you away from semi auto, guaranteed you also can’t have more than 10 rounds and definitely no can allowed.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If laws are retarted to force you away from semi auto, guaranteed you also can’t have more than 10 rounds and definitely no can allowed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right now in the ban states I don't believe any restrict capacity of manually operated rifles with non detachable magazines.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Right now in the ban states I don't believe any restrict capacity of manually operated rifles with non detachable magazines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m in a ban state. I can use semi autos...for now. No cans and nothing over 10 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I live in CT. And for my situations, which are unique, I choose to use a Rossi 16in 92 in 357mag.

I use a streamlight protac 1L that I attach with inner tube bands. A SOB sling and a buttcuff for xtra ammo.

Any 158gr JSP works for me.  Fed AE shoots good. So thats what I use.  

Eta.  I havent done much to the rifle.  Different irons.  Brake cleaner flush & oil. Clipped a few inches off the mag spring and smoothed a burr in the loading gate.

Very reliable. Feeds wadcutter 38s only boggles up on 357s that are too long OAL

And. Its slightly bigger than a 10/22 carbine
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 8:09:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Old Glenfield model 30, just waiting on the low rmr mount.

Link Posted: 3/24/2019 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Come to CT
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 12:55:03 AM EDT
[#17]
It's the archer not the arrow.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 1:27:21 PM EDT
[#18]
California has single-party rule of government right now with no prospects for a change any time soon.  With that, there has been a lot of justifiable fear of an outright ban on semiautomatic rifles.

Were that to happen, you could see a rush to buy lever actions of a magnitude probably not seen before.  Imagine several million gun owners needing replacements for their chosen home defense rifles, overnight, with the stroke of a pen.  I wonder how long it would take to satisfy that much demand; to build that many rifles?

A lever action chamber in 38 or 357 would fill that role as well as anything else that isn't a semiautomatic could.

I have been watching and waiting.  Perhaps, it is time to act, in advance of the rush.  Maybe buy two.  :-)
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/101965/FD43E07A-005D-4288-9350-AB83A39874B1-889212.jpg
View Quote
That looks sweet.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#20]
The Marlin 336Y would be my choice.

They were on sale for like $300 each a few years back. I should have bought a few of them. They may not be an AR15, but 30-30 has a great punch. 5+1 capacity of 30-30, add a HPG butt cuff and a cheap sling. Function check, zero with cheap hunting loads, throw them in safe and forget about them. Great for a road trip in unfriendly territory, a kids hunting rifle, a loaner during a natural disaster, etc...

Unlike a cheap AR, it doesn’t need accroutments to go with it. Yes, we can buy a $500 AR, but usually it needs sights and magazines at a bare minimum. It may not be the right choice for everyone, but for many it makes sense to have one in the safe.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The Marlin 336Y would be my choice.

They were on sale for like $300 each a few years back. I should have bought a few of them. They may not be an AR15, but 30-30 has a great punch. 5+1 capacity of 30-30, add a HPG butt cuff and a cheap sling. Function check, zero with cheap hunting loads, throw them in safe and forget about them. Great for a road trip in unfriendly territory, a kids hunting rifle, a loaner during a natural disaster, etc...

Unlike a cheap AR, it doesn’t need accroutments to go with it. Yes, we can buy a $500 AR, but usually it needs sights and magazines at a bare minimum. It may not be the right choice for everyone, but for many it makes sense to have one in the safe.
View Quote
The S&W and Ruger come with sights and can be found in the neighborhood of 500.
And you can pick up a spare magazine for the price of a butt cuff and have something a tube fed lever action doesnt, a back up magazine. And compare the price of a spare mag for a DBM lever gun to an AR mag
And if you're after cheap, good quality bolt action rifles with scope can be had for less than most lever actions.
I've got ARs that cost less than what I've spent on my decked out 336.
And if we're starting from scratch on a tight budget and couldn't have an auto, I'd be looking at a bolt action in 308.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 1:10:59 AM EDT
[#22]
My loaners are M1 Garands.  I would only loan them to a very, very select few.

As far as lever rifle accessories go, I would add some sort of circular aperture as the rear sight (ghost ring sight) and maybe, just maybe a tunnel over the front sight.  This would give me the sight picture I am used to having.

I think a bandolier is probably needed, too, maybe two, depending upon how many rounds they hold.  You have to have some way of carrying extra ammo.

Alternatively, one of those grab bags with the rubber flaps over the opening or one of these (shown below) which holds a pistol, spare mags and a radio.  You could put a metric TON of 357 ammo in one of those.  I'd guess hundreds of rounds would fit and give easy access, even while moving.

Link Posted: 3/28/2019 7:23:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
And if you're after cheap, good quality bolt action rifles with scope can be had for less than most lever actions.
I've got ARs that cost less than what I've spent on my decked out 336.
And if we're starting from scratch on a tight budget and couldn't have an auto, I'd be looking at a bolt action in 308.
View Quote
There is truth in all of it. 15 years ago, it was easy to find a 30-30 for $150-$200. Now it’s easier to find a $550-$600 AR than to find a $300 30-30 in good shape.

I bought a Wal Mart clearance Ruger American .308 a few years ago as well as a clearances Nikon Scope. I had a hunting ready rifle for $235 OTD. Get the deals while they can be had.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There is truth in all of it. 15 years ago, it was easy to find a 30-30 for $150-$200. Now it’s easier to find a $550-$600 AR than to find a $300 30-30 in good shape.

I bought a Wal Mart clearance Ruger American .308 a few years ago as well as a clearances Nikon Scope. I had a hunting ready rifle for $235 OTD. Get the deals while they can be had.
View Quote
Did it have cuts for stripper clip feeding?
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 12:28:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Don't over think this.
Rossi's are OK, but they are the bottom of the barrel. I sold my 92 in .357, it worked great. Dude I sold it to said it jammed all the time. Obviously ammo related. Choose wisely.
I would buy a 336 or 336Y as mentioned. I have 2 336's that are accurate enough by lever gun standards, and never fail to go bang, ever. I have Ashley rail systems and sights (ghost ring and huge blade front ) One has scout one conventional 1x4. Iron, or glass, they are ready. A few other easyt mods like large loop, and elastic ammo holders on the butt stock.
I have lots of other lever guns, these are defensive rifles.
I usually buy every 30/30 ammo I can find and try it at 100Yd. They are all good to hit 100 yd, steel targets. Lever Evo is pretty cool, gaining a Slightly flatter distant shot. (300 Yd. zero ) . If I needed to punch tiny paper groups at long distance say 700 Yd., I wouldn't be shooting a 336, I would be running!
Lever guns are cool, PC, nostalgic, and outside the box. They are not Perceived as EBG`s, I'm told. The Interwebs are full of stories. I think LE will strip me of a lever gun, just as quick as an EBG. They are not immune from forfeit yet.....
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 9:11:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Don't overlook the older designs like replicas of the Winchester 1866 or 1873, even in "obsolete" calibers. These rifles are reliable and the actions work fast, compared with an 1892 or 1892. You'd be hard pressed to legally justify defensive use past the effective range of .44-40.

InRangeTV subjected an 1860 Henry replica to their mud test and it did shockingly well, even with the slot down the middle of the magazine tube. The 1873 has a dust cover over the ejection port and a fully enclosed magazine. I'm sure it would do even better.

Attachment Attached File

Mine is a Cimarron Firearms (made by Uberti) 1873 Sporting Rifle in .44-40. It holds 14 shots and will push a 219 grain bullet downrange at over 1300 FPS, with black powder handloads. I could push it ~10% faster and still stay under 13,500 CUP with Reloder 7.

As for ammo availability, if you wait until there's a crisis, you're doing it wrong. (This goes for any cartridge, of course.) I have a large stash of Starline .44-40 brass, cast my own bullets, and keep plenty of powder and primers on hand. .44-40 allows a lot of flexibility in loads with jacketed or cast bullets, and it'll work well with a variety of powders ranging from the Holy Black, to IMR-4227, Reloder 7, Unique, or Herco.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 7:57:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I wouldn't feel under gunned with a 336 or an 1894. Marlins are pretty simple inside and easy to take apart unlike the Win leverguns and their clones.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 9:10:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 12:27:55 AM EDT
[#29]
My Hartford Arms .45 Colt is smooth as can be and with "Bear" loads can be very hard hitting. And you can reload on the fly which is a plus.

Link Posted: 3/31/2019 12:33:40 AM EDT
[#30]
These are an awesome truck gun

Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#31]
I'd have no problem using one on my lever guns for HD or defending the farm if SHTF.

I actually use a 12 gauge mossy for HD now. I have AR's but am so familiar with levers and pumps, they are second nature to me, can use without thinking.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/101965/FD43E07A-005D-4288-9350-AB83A39874B1-889212.jpg
View Quote
That can sure takes away the handiness of a lever gun though. To each their own I guess.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#33]
If something like that was to happen right now, I feel a Ruger American would be a better choice for me, with the amount of 5.56 and .223 I have, plus its ability to use AR magazines.

Though if a company was to produce a box magazine fed 5.56/.223 lever action that worked with STANAG magazines, or had the ability to be fed by stripper clips, I would likely buy one the first chance I got, regardless of the then present legality of semi-autos.

Unless there happens to be 9mm lever action rifles. I also got plenty of 9mm that I could feed it with.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 5:26:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Have a JM Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited 24 inch barrel in .44spec/.44magnum.  If that was the only rifle I could own, I would not have an issue with it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 11:00:13 AM EDT
[#35]
The Winnie 94 Trapper in 44 Mag would do very nicely in a defensive role. Add a set of XS ghost ring sights and a light and you have a powerhouse, big bore that holds 9 rounds and is 34" in length.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#36]
In various rooms, I have:
Browning Auto-5 12g loaded with Buck and ball
AR
1892 with .45 LC Lever revolution.

I would not feel under gunned with any of them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 9:37:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It's the archer not the arrow.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#38]
For the longest time my only two firearms were a Marlin 336 in 30-30, and a SAA clone in 357.

I didn't get killt in da streetz.

Never got in a gunfight though
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Definitely not my first choice but it'll do the job
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#40]
I live in an urban environment.  I'm going to need to penetrate stuff. Thus...
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#41]
I think you have that backwards.  In an urban environment, you do not want a lot of penetration, as your family and neighbors are close by.

Am I mistaken?
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 12:59:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Would I trust and be able to use any of my levers.. yes, without a doubt.  Is it my first choice... not by a long shot.

Ive come to the realization that beyond training and proficiency i want to be able to bring as much to the fight as i possibly could within reason.  I want a rifle with as much ammo as tactically possible as my ready.  I dont even put anything less than a 30rnd in my HD AR and am thinking about switching over to 40's.. 20's are cool and retro.. but not when you gotta shoot things for real.  I also want a semi auto.. one less thing to worry about when I go tunnel vision and poop my pants in the heat of the moment.

Id be afraid that my 3030 or 4570 would just destroy my hood too.

"he killed all 4 bad guys lined up... then the neighbors car"  "what was he shooting?"  "HSM 430gr hardcast bear load"  "whoa"
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a 44-40 that I use for HD.  I can't get the wife trained to the point where she'd reliably be able to operate anything else.  A Winchester 1892 is stupid easy.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#44]
I'd rather have a Winchester 1895 if I were going to be limited to a lever gun.  They're fought in several conflicts and use a better rifle round.  That said, nope, I don't own one (yet).  I wouldn't feel terrible about having to use my Winchester 94 in 30-30 in some settings or even my Rossi 92 in .357.  Both have proven accurate and reliable and both rounds will get the job done within their limitations.  I've killed deer with both.

When my grandfather was alive he carried a 16" Rossi then a Winchester Trapper .357 in his travel trailer since it was legal pretty much everywhere.  I know of a couple of other people who do the same thing (most in .357, one in .44).
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Model 94 .30-.30 is my truck gun.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 11:07:04 PM EDT
[#46]
I would have no qualms using any of my lever guns for defense...

Having said that...

If you live in a "ban state" and they keep chipping away at what they allow you to own, despite your civil rights... at what point is the line crossed?

I dont mean violence.. I mean, if where you live because such a left wing hell hole that your civil rights are no longer honored, and you cannot fight back... why stay?
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 1:25:16 AM EDT
[#47]
My Marlin 336 with a Lyman peep rear has killed more animals than I can count.  If I were up against any thug I would not feel under gunned.  Quick repeatable shots.  Wonderful firearem.  I gave it to my nephew because i love him that much.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 10:38:34 AM EDT
[#48]
The 5.56 AR platform isn't ideal for a HD weapon in my view even though I have both an AR carbine and rifle. It's big, bulky receiver and large blast and flash don't recommend it to many who've actually shot it indoors at night without hearing protection. With defensive ranges in the 25 to 30 feet range at most, the .223/5.56 comes in a distant 3rd in my high velocity carbine performance in addition to being much larger and less user friendly to employ.
  • AR:  At 3,106fps, a 55grn Spire point, .22 cal bullet produces 1,178ft/lbs of ME at that range.
  • .357mag:  At 1,952fps, 158grn hollow point, .35 cal bullet produces 1,331ft/lbs of ME at that range with a significantly larger wound channel with less blast and flash.
  • .30 Carbine: At 2,101fps, a 110grn JSP, .30 cal bullet produces 1,432ft/lbs of ME at that range with a significantly larger wound channel with less blast and flash.
That's why the M1 Carbine is my 1st choice currently for HD over my ARs and if there were no semi-autos, my Rossi .357mag carbine would fill the bill just fine.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The 5.56 AR platform isn't ideal for a HD weapon in my view even though I have both an AR carbine and rifle. It's big, bulky receiver and large blast and flash don't recommend it to many who've actually shot it indoors at night without hearing protection. With defensive ranges in the 25 to 30 feet range at most, the .223/5.56 comes in a distant 3rd in my high velocity carbine performance in addition to being much larger and less user friendly to employ.
  • AR:  At 3,106fps, a 55grn Spire point, .22 cal bullet produces 1,178ft/lbs of ME at that range.
  • .357mag:  At 1,952fps, 158grn hollow point, .35 cal bullet produces 1,331ft/lbs of ME at that range with a significantly larger wound channel with less blast and flash.
  • .30 Carbine: At 2,101fps, a 110grn JSP, .30 cal bullet produces 1,432ft/lbs of ME at that range with a significantly larger wound channel with less blast and flash.
That's why the M1 Carbine is my 1st choice currently for HD over my ARs and if there were no semi-autos, my Rossi .357mag carbine would fill the bill just fine.
View Quote
Good post that presents a rationale for your argument.

IMO, relative to lever actions, the 16" barrel is better than the 20" barrel from a home defense perspective.  Maneuverability in my narrow hallways is the key.  The 16" carbine fits more easily in the hall better than the 20".
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 11:47:23 AM EDT
[#50]
I don't think I'd feel truly undergunned in a HD scenario with any of my centerfire leverguns.

.357, .30-30 or .45-70 are all capable rounds.
I'd probably grab my Marlin .357 first due to capacity, but any would certainly work on anything but a large invading party.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top