Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2021 9:36:33 PM EDT
First off I regret not getting into NV/Thermal sooner.
I almost pulled the trigger on a flir pts 233 but chickened out.
Question 1; is there any thermal comparable to the 233 price and feature wise available today?
Question 2; what’s a good NV clip-on that can be mounted behind an eotech or aimpoint.
Question 3; can you use a prism scope such as a 4x acog with clip-on NV?

If any question seems stupid, just tell me. Any criticism, tips, or help figuring out what I want is greatly appreciated

Main use will be property patrol for armadillos, hogs, and bumps in the night
Budget ~$3K
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:56:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:08:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Question 1; is there any thermal comparable to the 233 price and feature wise available today?
Answer 1: Yes! Take a look at the Bering Optics Hogster models on the Night Goggles website

Question 2; what’s a good NV clip-on that can be mounted behind an eotech or aimpoint.
Answer 2: The PVS-14 can be mounted behind both. You will need a weapon mount such as the TNVC TM-14 Mk3 and the optics must be night vision compatible models. Weapon mounting the -14 isn't the best way to utilize it. It's best head mounted and used with an infrared aiming laser.

Answer 3: NV compatible EOTech or Aimpoint is what you want for NV use. You can use your head mounted NV to aim looking through them for passive aiming however like mentioned in #2 a laser is more effective.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
First off I regret not getting into NV/Thermal sooner.
I almost pulled the trigger on a flir pts 233 but chickened out.

If any question seems stupid, just tell me. Any criticism, tips, or help figuring out what I want is greatly appreciated

Main use will be property patrol for armadillos, hogs, and bumps in the night
Budget ~$3K

Answer 1: Yes! Take a look at the Bering Optics Hogster models on the Night Goggles website

Answer 2: The PVS-14 can be mounted behind both. You will need a weapon mount such as the TNVC TM-14 Mk3 and the optics must be night vision compatible models. Weapon mounting the -14 isn't the best way to utilize it. It's best head mounted and used with an infrared aiming laser.

Answer 3: NV compatible EOTech or Aimpoint is what you want for NV use. You can use your head mounted NV to aim looking through them for passive aiming however like mentioned in #2 a laser is more effective.

Thanks!
Is the IR laser used just like a regular green/red laser? Put laser dot on target and shoot? Or is it to illuminate target and still use optic on rifle? I see the PVS-14 mentioned a lot in threads. But like you’ve mentioned, it’s almost always head mounted. Being I know absolutely nothing nor have absolutely any experience with NV, can you give me a short answer on benefits of head mount vs behind optic mount?
Also I’d imagine that by the time I get a PVS-14, IR laser, and head gear, I could probably get a true NV scope? Though head mount and IR laser on my G19 would be nice for dillos if it is point and shoot like my green laser

Edited to add; I just checked out the Bering Optics Hogster models. Definitely looks great and 100% within my price range. Thanks. Now my head is spinning more as to what I want lol
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:00:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Both. You use a laser pointer (the dot) to aim. Some units such as the ATPIAL-C, DBAL D2, MAWL C1+ also have a built in IR illuminator (the D2 is LED) and a visible pointer that is slaved to the IR pointer. The slaved visible laser is very useful for zeroing and confirming zero without needing to do it under NV. The illuminator aids you by illuminating the target and eliminating bloom from the pointer. Although night vision is an amazing capability, shadows, crevices, light sources, etc. can diminish it's effectiveness and you need to provide additional IR light. There are settings to use the pointers only, pointer + illuminator, or illuminator only for aiming through a night vision compatible red dot or holo sight.

Which is better, head or weapon mounted, depends on exactly what you are doing with it (long distance precision, hunting, SHTF, etc.). If you can only choose one or the other (head or weapon mounted), I recommend head mounted. It offers the most versatility and you won't be pointing your gun at everything just to see in the dark.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!
Is the IR laser used just like a regular green/red laser? Put laser dot on target and shoot? Or is it to illuminate target and still use optic on rifle? I see the PVS-14 mentioned a lot in threads. But like you’ve mentioned, it’s almost always head mounted. Being I know absolutely nothing nor have absolutely any experience with NV, can you give me a short answer on benefits of head mount vs behind optic mount?
Also I’d imagine that by the time I get a PVS-14, IR laser, and head gear, I could probably get a true NV scope? Though head mount and IR laser on my G19 would be nice for dillos if it is point and shoot like my green laser

Edited to add; I just checked out the Bering Optics Hogster models. Definitely looks great and 100% within my price range. Thanks. Now my head is spinning more as to what I want lol

Both. You use a laser pointer (the dot) to aim. Some units such as the ATPIAL-C, DBAL D2, MAWL C1+ also have a built in IR illuminator (the D2 is LED) and a visible pointer that is slaved to the IR pointer. The slaved visible laser is very useful for zeroing and confirming zero without needing to do it under NV. The illuminator aids you by illuminating the target and eliminating bloom from the pointer. Although night vision is an amazing capability, shadows, crevices, light sources, etc. can diminish it's effectiveness and you need to provide additional IR light. There are settings to use the pointers only, pointer + illuminator, or illuminator only for aiming through a night vision compatible red dot or holo sight.

Which is better, head or weapon mounted, depends on exactly what you are doing with it (long distance precision, hunting, SHTF, etc.). If you can only choose one or the other (head or weapon mounted), I recommend head mounted. It offers the most versatility and you won't be pointing your gun at everything just to see in the dark.

Ok
So I want the Bering Optics Super Hogster
What is the backlog on these?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:21:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ok
View Quote

I think they had said during that vshott video stuff earlier in the week that they have a 6 week wait on them.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:26:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think they had said during that vshott video stuff earlier in the week that they have a 6 week wait on them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok

Thanks! I’ll be calling them tomorrow
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top