Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2021 2:40:31 PM EDT
I read the "get a European spring gun" thread and I'm ok with that. One of my questions is regarding sights.
My main purpose for buying an air rifle is to teach and maintain marksmanship fundamentals even when ammo is scarce like it is now. This means that I won't be adding a scope.

I noticed all of the spring guns have an AK style sight setup with the rear sight on the barrel. This makes sense with the barrel moving to cock it.

My question is if I add a rear aperture sight on the receiver, will the barrel position be repeatable enough for decent accuracy?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#1]
If the gun is a quality piece it would be similar to a scope.  I have 2 scoped HW's. Shot them with irons for a bit. They have always been very accurate. The barrels lock up tight.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the gun is a quality piece it would be similar to a scope.  I have 2 scoped HW's. Shot them with irons for a bit. They have always been very accurate. The barrels lock up tight.
View Quote

Thats kinda what I was thinking.  If it is repeatable with a scope it should be with Irons.

Does anybody have experience with a Walther Parrus? Looks to be on sale at a few places right now.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 2:40:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, it will work as long as it isn't some cheap rig, just like has been mentioned about scopes being mounted rear of that pivot point.

There are sometimes decent peep sights that happen to line up with the front when clamping on the dovetail.

Another way is to get an underlever style and then there is even less chance that there is any disconnect between the bbl and the receiver mounted sights.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:42:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Keep in mind that a spring gun has a very different recoil pulse over anything else on the planet.  Spring guns are fantastic, however IMHO they are not the best tool to keep sharp standard firearm skills.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 1:14:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I've never used one before, and I don't really want to get into the expense of a PCP.  Will it not allow me to teach/practice the fundamentals (sight picture, sight alignment, trigger squeeze, follow through, etc...) even if I'm holding it differently?

I was eyeing the Walther Parrus for the price, but it looks like it is probably more powerful than I am looking for.  Right now I'm looking at a Beeman R7/HW30s as the RWS 34s seem to be OOS.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've never used one before, and I don't really want to get into the expense of a PCP.  Will it not allow me to teach/practice the fundamentals (sight picture, sight alignment, trigger squeeze, follow through, etc...) even if I'm holding it differently?

I was eyeing the Walther Parrus for the price, but it looks like it is probably more powerful than I am looking for.  Right now I'm looking at a Beeman R7/HW30s as the RWS 34s seem to be OOS.
View Quote

I bought a R7 about a year ago. I put a scope on it[old eyes] but with a the right pellet,it's a tack driver. With arthritic hands and problematic shoulders,it's relatively easy to cock. My house/yard range distances vary from 10-22 yards and it's well suited for that. I,too don't want to bother with the expense of PCP.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Not to try and talk you out of a spring gun... but don't overlook the SSP types if you are after rifle practice.

An SSP (Single Stroke Pneumatic) can be very cost effective and also avoids the issues with recoil capable optics that run with Spring Guns.

I agree with a nice R-7 being a sweet shooting rig and one that will be considered an heirloom in the family.

It is a shame that PCP rigs require a bigger up front budget and that barrier stops lots of folks from jumping in. If you have a friendly dive shop or Fire Department to fill a large tank, it is worth the trouble to get into PCP.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:05:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Not the model you want, but to give an idea of similar sight set-ups, there was an old version of the default BSA model, the Meteor, which had the rearsight assembly fitted to the rear of the action dovetail.
The open notch rearsight was replaced with an aperture blade assembly. Known as the Meteor Cadet  it was marketed at small cadet units who lacked rimfire range facilities.
Attachment Attached File

The BSA Meteor is very much a basic entry level type of airgun.

With regard to the Weihrauch models, I'd also suggest the HW99s as a very good design...as is the HW77K, which is an underlever type.

For rear sight apertures, a few of the US makers produce models that fit in a standard scope dovetail - you'd just have to make sure the one you choose lines up with the front sight blade

In the US, the firm Pyramid Air seems to have a good reputation
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:21:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not to try and talk you out of a spring gun... but don't overlook the SSP types if you are after rifle practice.

An SSP (Single Stroke Pneumatic) can be very cost effective and also avoids the issues with recoil capable optics that run with Spring Guns.

I agree with a nice R-7 being a sweet shooting rig and one that will be considered an heirloom in the family.

It is a shame that PCP rigs require a bigger up front budget and that barrier stops lots of folks from jumping in. If you have a friendly dive shop or Fire Department to fill a large tank, it is worth the trouble to get into PCP.
View Quote

Something like this?
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Daisy_Match_Grade_Avanti_753S/144
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 8:08:48 AM EDT
[#10]

SSP and MSP are basically pumpers.  Think the pellet gun of your youth.  MSP multi stroke (sounds like fun don't it) and ssp single stroke.  MOST of the single stroke are pure target guns.  There are a few MSP's out there, all but the 39x are IMHO not built to really last.  So the 397 and 392.  However you will find pumping does get old, they are very good guns however.  The Daisy 880's get an honorable mention but are a little too plastic for me.

IMHO if your sole goal is keeping your trigger finger sharp a spring gun ain't it.....unless you hang out in the sub 500fps range.  Above that the guns are just too darn different.  I see it like saying a wheel lock and a SAW are both the same and if you can run one you can run the other.  And yes I think that they are just that different.

The other power source not talked about is CO2, and it has drawbacks as well.....nothing comes baggage free.

The friendly dive shop is really the best option out there, see if they will fill a tank for you if you don't have a PADI card....some do some don't.  And a used tank should only set you back $120-ish.  Then get yourself a gun with a 2k fill pressure and you will be set for A LOT of shooting out of a scuba tank.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

SSP and MSP are basically pumpers.  Think the pellet gun of your youth.  MSP multi stroke (sounds like fun don't it) and ssp single stroke.  MOST of the single stroke are pure target guns.  There are a few MSP's out there, all but the 39x are IMHO not built to really last.  So the 397 and 392.  However you will find pumping does get old, they are very good guns however.  The Daisy 880's get an honorable mention but are a little too plastic for me.

IMHO if your sole goal is keeping your trigger finger sharp a spring gun ain't it.....unless you hang out in the sub 500fps range.  Above that the guns are just too darn different.  I see it like saying a wheel lock and a SAW are both the same and if you can run one you can run the other.  And yes I think that they are just that different.

The other power source not talked about is CO2, and it has drawbacks as well.....nothing comes baggage free.

The friendly dive shop is really the best option out there, see if they will fill a tank for you if you don't have a PADI card....some do some don't.  And a used tank should only set you back $120-ish.  Then get yourself a gun with a 2k fill pressure and you will be set for A LOT of shooting out of a scuba tank.
View Quote

I've got a C-Card. Just trying to be as basic as I can. (And cheap while maintaining quality)
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:22:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I still recommend one of the Daisy rifles from CMP. Very accurate and cheap for a precision air rifle.
View Quote

I forgot about the CMP, which reminds me, I also need to put in a 1911 packet.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 8:45:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I still recommend one of the Daisy rifles from CMP. Very accurate and cheap for a precision air rifle.
View Quote

IIRC the Daisy rifles are just 10m BB guns not a pellet gun.  So if you do choose to go this route, and it is a very viable route stay will good BB's not the crap you find at walmart.  Generally speaking BB's should be round, the crap off the shelf is pretty far from round.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 8:51:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:58:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Update in case anyone is interested: I sent in an order to the CMP today for 2 Daisy 853s. Will post pics when they get here.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:59:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

Like one of these?

I got this from CMP 4 or 5 years ago for my daughter. Nobody really shoots it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:02:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/166748/DB8536D1-2E68-4F58-9263-8882EDE73E16_jpe-1786032.JPG

Like one of these?

I got this from CMP 4 or 5 years ago for my daughter. Nobody really shoots it.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:35:53 PM EDT
[#19]
CMP Daisys came in today. Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top