Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I’m not saying he will do this for you, but he walked me through timing.  He made me many HARDENED paddles for timing.   He sold me 2 complete Colt burst kits modified for LL use.  At cost.

Amazing.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m not saying he will do this for you, but he walked me through timing.  He made me many HARDENED paddles for timing.   He sold me 2 complete Colt burst kits modified for LL use.  At cost.

Amazing.
View Quote
I'm sending mine to an SOT who has his own RLL with over 40k rounds on the same paddle, he's going to do the milling and timing for me. I have 1 burst kit already but will buy another sometime soon (200 seems to be the best price I can find).
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 12:02:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm sending mine to an SOT who has his own RLL with over 40k rounds on the same paddle, he's going to do the milling and timing for me. I have 1 burst kit already but will buy another sometime soon (200 seems to be the best price I can find).
View Quote
I had my lowers milled by a SOT, so I could use any off the shelf upper.   As opposed to having a working lower and then modifying every upper.

Esox made the paddles for me so I could time it myself.   I’ve only used one.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I had my lowers milled by a SOT, so I could use any off the shelf upper.   As opposed to having a working lower and then modifying every upper.

Esox made the paddles for me so I could time it myself.   I’ve only used one.  
View Quote
Can you explain the modifying lower vs upper? I'm having my lowers worked on (sending uppers too), I guess I don't 100% follow the "working lower" thing you mentioned.

Don't mean to ask a dumb question.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 3:03:29 PM EDT
[#5]
From my previous posting, and this applies if you are getting it professionally done or you are confident milling a deeper pocket in your lower.  So it doesn’t matter if you get a high shelf, low shelf, no pocket, or even an 80% lower.  You will want to deepen the pocket.  Period.

Deepen the pocket enough so the LL fits and works without ANY modification to the upper.  No need to shave down the rear take down lug, nada.  Once you do that you can put just about any upper on it and be good to go.   I say just about because there are some special billet uppers that are out of spec.  They look pretty and work in semi, but the LL is picky and why chance it?   Use the rock solid forged uppers from all the good brands.

Once I got my lowers squared away, that was it.  My SOT milled them out, he had my LL and my carriers.  It all works.   No issues.  I’ve even put an Adam Arms piston retrofit upper on it and it’s perfect.  Of course I had the carrier modified for the LL.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Think about it.  To have an auto disconnect (LL) to work you need

1.  The LL (with appropriate paddle)
2.  Compatible trigger group
3.  Compatible carrier
4.  Room in the lower for the LL to function

The upper should be irrelevant.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
From my previous posting, and this applies if you are getting it professionally done or you are confident milling a deeper pocket in your lower.  So it doesn’t matter if you get a high shelf, low shelf, no pocket, or even an 80% lower.  You will want to deepen the pocket.  Period.

Deepen the pocket enough so the LL fits and works without ANY modification to the upper.  No need to shave down the rear take down lug, nada.  Once you do that you can put just about any upper on it and be good to go.   I say just about because there are some special billet uppers that are out of spec.  They look pretty and work in semi, but the LL is picky and why chance it?   Use the rock solid forged uppers from all the good brands.

Once I got my lowers squared away, that was it.  My SOT milled them out, he had my LL and my carriers.  It all works.   No issues.  I’ve even put an Adam Arms piston retrofit upper on it and it’s perfect.  Of course I had the carrier modified for the LL.
View Quote
Ok cool

Professionally done, don't trust myself enough. I have 2 lowers I'm sending out.

I guess the "working lower" threw thing me off, as if milling the lower had a negative impact when the LL wasn't in.

What SOT did you use?

Thanks for the explanation!
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 4:12:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Wright Armory in Phoenix AZ.   I have trusted them in the past, so I knew they could get this LL project done easy.

The lowers are perfect in safe-semi-semi without the LL and safe-semi-auto with the LL.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 4:16:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks! I'm going with a Buhler Ballistics, I know the guy pretty well
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 11:50:50 AM EDT
[#10]
What paddle thickness are you guys using? M60 Joe said .032 is standard, seems to be the thinnest option
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do you have any experience with the VLTOR MUR upper?
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a vltor mur without forward assist (9mm), and its unmodified.  It runs like a champ with my LL, colt lower.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Asking my SOT about the deepening pocket and not modifying the lug at all. Not sure what style he prefers, but I guess as long as it runs safely I'm happy
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 2:32:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I recently picked up my LL from the dealer.  My plan is to use a 0.035" thick protector/reinforcer, and the 'AR-15-only parts mod' (Esox Special).

I've read through other LL threads and watched Esox's vids multiple times but I'd like some clarification before cutting my lowers.  The phrase "deepening the [FCG] pocket"....that's referencing the area where it transitions from wide to narrow, NOT the rearmost area by the buffer detent hole, NOR in reference to 'lowering the shelf'?  Is this correct?  Like this:

Attachment Attached File

In summary, for proper link function with modified AR-15 parts, one must:

1.  "Lengthen" the FCG pocket by removing enough material at the transition point to allow the link to come fully back/ears touching rear of receiver (link should no longer touch/bind at the transition point).
2.  Do nothing to the upper receiver take-down lug
3.  Do nothing to the shelf (assuming it's already low shelf)
4.  Use an SP-1 spec carrier, either preexisting or modified AR-15/M-16
5.  Open up slots on paddle to allow protector to fit with link

Aside from timing, function check, etc, am I missing anything else?
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 2:37:12 AM EDT
[#15]
My lowers have some shaved off where your arrows are and the back thinned out a hair towards the buffer retainer. Makes the wall between the retainer and the pocket thinner, but not like it really matters. With the kns protector I have had to shave some of the upper lugs that were overly long.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 11:10:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I've seen mixed things on the rear takedown lug, trying to talk to my SOT about the work he will be doing and ask about that. I think hes planning to shave some of it, but it seems that other people have left that alone. damnit
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 11:51:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've seen mixed things on the rear takedown lug, trying to talk to my SOT about the work he will be doing and ask about that. I think hes planning to shave some of it, but it seems that other people have left that alone. damnit
View Quote

Keep in mind you can only deepen the fire-control pocket so much to gain clearance between the link and the rear lug without ultimately modifying the selector.

Once the rear pocket is milled deeper than the top of the selector barrel, all that happen is the link just rides on top of the selector and essentially teeder-todders over the selector barrel.

You do gain a touch of clearance with the link teedered back over the selector barrel but it can only tip so far and now the link is cockeyed inside the receiver.

For my hosts with a standard semi disco setup where I just get Safe & Auto, I mill the selector barrel down as well so it is a smooth plane from the pocket over the top of the selector, which gains a good amount clearance in the process.

On a modified 3rd burst setup it is more involved as you have to mill two areas of the barrel (both semi and auto) and one of those areas is the spot on the selector facing up when in the auto position but is the same spot that prevents the trigger from moving when the selector is rotated 180 degrees to the safe position.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks! I'm sure my guy will get it running, I just like to over educate and ask a million questions lol

The positive is as long as the link is safe I can just build a new host and configure differently haha
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 1:18:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I was watching Esox's video and was wondering if anyone has modified their M16 Hammer at all? In his video he talks about modifying a standard AR15 hammer, wasn't sure if there is any reason why it couldnt/shouldnt be done to an M16 hammer.

This is for clearance of the link purposes

Edit: There is no need for an M16 hammer with an RLL is there? I could just use an AR15 hammer...
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I've had to shave down my rear lugs a bit to account for the LL protector, even with the low shelf. It's not a bit deal and takes me all of 2 minutes with a cheap harbor freight grinder.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 1:19:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I was watching Esox's video and was wondering if anyone has modified their M16 Hammer at all? In his video he talks about modifying a standard AR15 hammer, wasn't sure if there is any reason why it couldnt/shouldnt be done to an M16 hammer.

This is for clearance of the link purposes

Edit: There is no need for an M16 hammer with an RLL is there? I could just use an AR15 hammer...
View Quote
You'll actually have to modify the m16 hammer from a modified burst kit to use it, otherwise the back will slam into the link as I recall.  Just cut off the sear catch on the back. Did that to both I converted.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You'll actually have to modify the m16 hammer from a modified burst kit to use it, otherwise the back will slam into the link as I recall.  Just cut off the sear catch on the back. Did that to both I converted.
View Quote
Thank you! I was talking to someone who uses a normal ar-15 hammer with the remaining burst kit parts so it eliminates the need to cut off. I'm not sure where the disconnector shelf comes into play, my SOT mentioned that when I asked him about using an ar-15 hammer
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 1:08:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I recently picked up my LL from the dealer.  My plan is to use a 0.035" thick protector/reinforcer, and the 'AR-15-only parts mod' (Esox Special).

I've read through other LL threads and watched Esox's vids multiple times but I'd like some clarification before cutting my lowers.  The phrase "deepening the [FCG] pocket"....that's referencing the area where it transitions from wide to narrow, NOT the rearmost area by the buffer detent hole, NOR in reference to 'lowering the shelf'?  Is this correct?  Like this:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/444683/rVGOHbe-575220.JPG

In summary, for proper link function with modified AR-15 parts, one must:

1.  "Lengthen" the FCG pocket by removing enough material at the transition point to allow the link to come fully back/ears touching rear of receiver (link should no longer touch/bind at the transition point).
2.  Do nothing to the upper receiver take-down lug
3.  Do nothing to the shelf (assuming it's already low shelf)
4.  Use an SP-1 spec carrier, either preexisting or modified AR-15/M-16
5.  Open up slots on paddle to allow protector to fit with link

Aside from timing, function check, etc, am I missing anything else?
View Quote
My apologies, I don't get much time to check forums very often any more.  I think this is a pretty good summary...however you will have problems if you want to do the no-M16 parts select fire control option because lengthening the FCG pocket creates issues (see that thread for details, JBNTex pointed that issue out as we were getting it going).  For the record, I do not recommend the no-M16 parts option.  I don't like how the link rotates on top of the selector barrel and I just prefer the modified burst kit method as it is more robust design.  I also have no issues leaving an M16 selector or trigger in my semi-lower...I challenge anybody to make it fire more than one round with a single action of the trigger, plus M16 parts (e.g., carriers) sitting in semi-auto AR-15s are commonplace nowadays.

I also don't like deepening the FCG pocket to accommodate the added KNS protector thickness.  I prefer to shave 0.040" off the rear lug of the upper receiver instead.  This is because it keeps the RLL more parallel to the disconnector.  If you deepen the pocket, then the link rotates on the selector barrel and I just don't like the fact that it isn't a straight in-line pull along the length of the RLL.

These are just my opinions, YMMV, etc.
v/r,
Esox
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#24]
That all makes perfect sense, thanks for clarifying.  I've been playing around with modified parts and see exactly what you're talking about.  I have burst parts on order now so hopefully I'll get this thing up & running.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the input! Glad there is a decent community of RLL guys on here. I'm not doing the work myself but I at least like to understand it...might need to do it eventually
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 7:41:43 PM EDT
[#26]
https://www.cmmginc.com/product/rifle-mkgs-banshee-9mm-nfa-guard/

Would it be legal to run a RLL (or for that matter a RDIAS) in one of these more refined 9mm lowers that takes Glock mags?
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 1:04:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
https://www.cmmginc.com/product/rifle-mkgs-banshee-9mm-nfa-guard/
Would it be legal to run a RLL (or for that matter a RDIAS) in one of these more refined 9mm lowers that takes Glock mags?
View Quote
My understanding is a drop-in sear (LL or DIAS) can be used in any AR-15 'type' weapon.  If you think about it, most pistol caliber ARs out there are basically just an AR-15 with a different magwell.  This includes CMMG's Guard.  I have a DDLES/QC10 lower I'm planning to use with my LL.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 2:54:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

My understanding is a drop-in sear (LL or DIAS) can be used in any AR-15 'type' weapon.  If you think about it, most pistol caliber ARs out there are basically just an AR-15 with a different magwell.  This includes CMMG's Guard.  I have a DDLES/QC10 lower I'm planning to use with my LL.
View Quote
I want to try the mutant? 7.62x39 Ar with my LL
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I also have a DDLES SBR that I want to use with my link. I am hoping someone will come out with a bolt assembly that can be used with an existing gun, which will ease recoil and lessen the wear on the link.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 12:19:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I also have a DDLES SBR that I want to use with my link. I am hoping someone will come out with a bolt assembly that can be used with an existing gun, which will ease recoil and lessen the wear on the link.
View Quote
Have you looked at the CMMG Guard bolt/barrel kit?  You would need to mill the carrier to Colt SP1 spec to use the link but it's exactly what you're describing.  It's on my list of ongoing projects...
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 6:14:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Have you looked at the CMMG Guard bolt/barrel kit?  You would need to mill the carrier to Colt SP1 spec to use the link but it's exactly what you're describing.  It's on my list of ongoing projects...
View Quote
Wow, the banshee looks amazing.  I have a MVB ARC (2 position) that I wonder if it would be compatible with, paired with a RLL that would be one helluva sub gun I think!
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have. But doesn't the guard kit (bolt &/or barrel) have to be modified to even work with the Colt system? I know there are Smith's out there that can cut a bolt carrier to work with a link but I don't know of any that are modifying the existing guard Glock kit to work with a Colt system. I don't have the skill to do this myself.

I also read something from Foxtrot Mike that seems to indicate that they are coming out with some sort of system that will lessen recoil with 9mm. They are being very coy about it but it sounds like some sort of non-blowback system. If so, I am hoping that it will be built for the Colt system and will work with a link (with mods done to the carrier). Someone has got to do it!
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 10:16:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have. But doesn't the guard kit (bolt &/or barrel) have to be modified to even work with the Colt system? I know there are Smith's out there that can cut a bolt carrier to work with a link but I don't know of any that are modifying the existing guard Glock kit to work with a Colt system. I don't have the skill to do this myself.

I also read something from Foxtrot Mike that seems to indicate that they are coming out with some sort of system that will lessen recoil with 9mm. They are being very coy about it but it sounds like some sort of non-blowback system. If so, I am hoping that it will be built for the Colt system and will work with a link (with mods done to the carrier). Someone has got to do it!
View Quote
To get the gun to work with the Colt system a few tweaks have to be done to the gun/magblock, not so much with the CMMG bolt/barrel.  It's not terribly hard to do; member Amphibian has a stellar 'how-to' on his website: http://c3junkie.com/?page_id=597

Quite honestly, any gunsmith or even a machine shop could do these modifications if you printed/took them these directions.

As for FM's new design...I'm watching closely myself.  I'm not sure if they licenced CMMG's radial delayed system or if it's something entirely new.  Can't wait to see the final product!
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 10:17:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

To get the gun to work with the Colt system a few tweaks have to be done to the gun/magblock, not so much with the CMMG bolt/barrel.  It's not terribly hard to do; member Amphibian has a stellar 'how-to' on his website: http://c3junkie.com/?page_id=597

Quite honestly, any gunsmith or even a machine shop could do these modifications if you printed/took them these directions.

As for FM's new design...I'm watching closely myself.  I'm not sure if they licenced CMMG's radial delayed system or if it's something entirely new.  Can't wait to see the final product!
View Quote
Thanks a lot for the info. I hadn’t seen Amphibians page. Very informative. I think I will hold off to see if someone comes out with a Colt ready system. If that doesn’t happen soon, I will see if I can get a smith to take on the project. Doesn’t look like it would be too tough for a smith to do.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Sadly wasn't in stock when I needed one so I paid more than 2x this for mine...

Anyone looking for a burst kit..https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/f1000617
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 8:39:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Sadly wasn't in stock when I needed one so I paid more than 2x this for mine...

Anyone looking for a burst kit..https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/f1000617
View Quote
Figures.  I just got their 'back in stock' email.  

I ended up piecemealing parts to get what I needed:

Disconnectors:  https://www.apexgunparts.com/rifles/ar-15/ar-by-part-type/lower-parts-kits/colt-ar15-m16-3-round-burst-disconnector-set-very-good.html
Trigger:  https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-parts/triggers/m4-burst-trigger-assembly-sku160308372-82269-171702.aspx
Selector:  https://www.dsarms.com/p-15518-dsa-m16-full-auto-select-fire-selector-switch-all-nfa-rules-apply.aspx
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#37]
And now of course Apex is sold out of the disconnectors...
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 11:43:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Ya  I bought a complete kit from FTF for like 210. shizzzzzzzzz
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#39]
I ordered a  3 round burst kit from mgw. Those guys called me today saying that I have to provide them with an FFL or an sot in order for them to ship the parts. They said that they're obligated by law to do this
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 6:26:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I ordered a  3 round burst kit from mgw. Those guys called me today saying that I have to provide them with an FFL or an sot in order for them to ship the parts. They said that they're obligated by law to do this
View Quote
Well that sucks.  Sounds more like company policy than anything.  I've never heard of non-serialized MG parts being regulated.

Aside from Apex, I also ordered semi disconnectors from Brownells (currently backordered) and burst disconnectors from DPMS:
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-parts/disconnector-parts/disconnectors/m4-burst-disconnect-semi-prod22405.aspx
http://www.dpmsinc.com/DPMS-Double-Hook-Disconnector-for-Burst-Fire-Control-Group_p_2611.html

Numrich has semi disconnectors in stock (but not burst):  https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/ar15-m16/m4-carbine-2

Another option, albeit pricey, is Specialized Armament:  http://www.specializedarmament.com/
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 9:08:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Its annoying to try to find a burst kit sometimes, especially if you are in a hurry to build up a lower...then you end up paying through the nose.

I've got to imagine that in the future when M16A2s start getting de-milled there will be a metric shit-ton of burst kits at rock bottom prices along with A2 parts kits from the typical surplus providers.  I don't follow DoD small arms strategy.  When will the M16 start being replaced by whatever is the next best thing (or next best thing to the contractor who convinced the government that its better)?
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 4:38:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Its annoying to try to find a burst kit sometimes, especially if you are in a hurry to build up a lower...then you end up paying through the nose.

I've got to imagine that in the future when M16A2s start getting de-milled there will be a metric shit-ton of burst kits at rock bottom prices along with A2 parts kits from the typical surplus providers.  I don't follow DoD small arms strategy.  When will the M16 start being replaced by whatever is the next best thing (or next best thing to the contractor who convinced the government that its better)?
View Quote
that last 2 years we have been moving from M4 (Burst) to M4A1 (FullAuto) so there are 1 million lightly used burst kits somewhere....
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Do you guys SBR the lowers you use your LL with? I don’t really see the point unless I were to take it out for “some reason”

I have 2 lowers for my LL, one of which is already SBR. Can probably just save the money
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 2:11:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Short answer, no.

I'm trying out my link with different lowers, some SBR, some not.  Once I figure out which setup I enjoy shooting the most, the link will probably live there.  If it happens to be a pistol lower, I doubt I'll SBR it.  Matter of fact I doubt I'll even take the brace off.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 2:37:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Cool thanks. If I bring multiple lowers to try I’d just bring a 16” upper to swap on just to cover my ass too. Saves me a stamp
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:23:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Did someone say they can get paddles made? Since m60joe is gone I dunno where I’d look
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#47]
SQUAD.

Since I’m a huge fan of consolidating info, I’m going to attempt to put a document together with all they key RLL info from Quarterbore and posts on here. Would love to find a way to download YouTube videos (Esox) and have them as attachments.

Planning to include links and references for credit, take pics of my own lowers, paddles, burst triggers.

Anyone have thoughts? I’d ideally share it as a google doc that people can add to as well once it’s ready
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 2:00:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Would love to find a way to download YouTube videos (Esox) and have them as attachments.
View Quote
I can download YouTube videos (using Internet Download Manager) but I don't have anywhere to host them.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 2:07:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I can download YouTube videos (using Internet Download Manager) but I don't have anywhere to host them.
View Quote
Google drive might work if there’s enough storage
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 5:17:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Esox, or anyone else knowledgeable...

Is a relief cut in the rear of the receiver (like right before the buffer tube threads) necessary? I've seen some people do this and some just do the ears relief near the selector (which is all I have done on mine). Looking to include as much info in my "consolidation" as possible.

Gracias in advance!
Page / 4
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top