Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 12/22/2020 4:42:08 PM EDT
Hi,
A few years back I acquired several hundred M33 bullets and finally got around to working up some loads of the 50bmg cartridge.  All of them had "tracks" from being pulled commercially so I was running them through a Lee bullet sizer to smooth the sharp edges, not that it likely matters.  A couple of the rounds felt funny so I started checking several on my scale....most of the ones in box #1 weigh in about 700gr (assume GI ?) and the ones in box#2 all weigh in at about 650 gr (assume Israeli?).  The two oddball bullets weighed 1000gr and have a crimp channel instead of a cannelure. Dimensionally they are identical to M33.  Do you have any idea what these heavies are from (origin, type of cartridge, velocity, reloading, etc.).  They came from the box with the 700 gr bullets and now I need to go through them all and weigh each.
Thanks for any information.
D
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#1]
WoW! Your gonna catch some shite.

Link Posted: 12/22/2020 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#2]
There were some 690 gr that I have which I believe came from South Africa.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 12:00:38 AM EDT
[#3]
** IF ** US production, 700 gr would be WW2 vintage M2 Ball.  650 would be current M33 Ball.  Take a magnet to both.  Then take a magnet to the 1000 gr.  If NO magnetic reaction anywhere on the 1000 gr bullet, it's M1 HPT (High Pressure Test - aka "Proof") bullet.

All three would have a knurled crimping cannelure on the bullet, not a smooth (i.e. cut) cannelulre.  If the crimp cannelure is smooth, then there are other variables at stake.

If not US production, then things get squirrely on ID.

If these descriptions don't seem to match what you have, post some pix, so we can get a better idea.  Side view and then one of the bullet base.

Link Posted: 12/23/2020 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#4]
1000 grain is a proof round bullet...   Here is my thread from a while back... Found one in my M33 bag also..

Proof round Bullet
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:40:15 PM EDT
[#5]
The two heavy bullets weigh 1009 and 1013 grains. Both have cut crimp grooves . Dimensionally same as M33. Both are magnetic but to what degree I can't determine...they act thye same as the M33 bullet with a cut groove M33 from the box#1 (presumably GI, 695 gr.0). was equally   I have not mastered how to post pictures here.  
My best description of the bases of these bullets is...the one weighing 1009gr has a narrow rim of chamferred bullet brass with a 1/4" opening exposing a surface (inset about 1/16") having a gray flat mirror finish (tungsten?).
The second bullet weighing 1013gr has a base about 3/4 closed with the bullet brass, and an opening of only about 1/8" that appears to have the same internal mirror finish metal.
I'll work on getting pics posted. Sorry for the crappy descriptions.  Thank you for your responses.  Merry Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 1:22:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like they could be Canadian C44.  I have never seen one of these in person but apparently they are an armor piercing tracer round with a TC core and weigh about 1000 grns.  The cut cannelure is the indicator.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 11:54:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks to 50_shooter for the offer to post pics if I can email them to you....I have the pics but have been unsuccessful doing any "personal messages" on this board to convey my email address.  If anyone can send me an email address and can post the pics, I'd be grateful. My email address is [email protected].
Thanks,
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 12:21:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:30:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:26:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Not C44 AP(HC)T, nor is it M1 HPT (Proof).  You got me stumped.  1000 gr lends you to suspect it's a hard core APx of some kind (AP, API, etc.), but exactly what, I sure don't know.  It's not a tracer for sure, so not APT or APIT, etc.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 5:33:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for posting the pics. The left bullet showing the base, is an M33...at least that's what they we sold as.  The one with the large hole and the one to its right are the heavies.  The material visible inside is shiney to the point of mirror finish.  Even the one far right with the smaller hole (but still 1000g+) has this same mirror reflection.
This may just be one of those weird things that is too uncommon to merit further discussion....but I greatly appreciate your assistance and responses. Now, I need to weigh every danged bullet before reloading.
Many thanks, again.
Darryl
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 5:36:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I have one of these kicking around.. Lemme grab a picture.

J

ETA: here's everything in my loose box that has smooth canelures

Link Posted: 1/7/2021 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Center round is one of the very heavy rounds.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:00:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, I'm afraid I don't have much to add.  The heavy, boattail, smooth cannellure bullets stump me.  Not C44 Canadian APHCT, not M1 HPT (Proof), so not much to add.  The Silver/Black are Armor Plate test, of course, just plain M2 AP, but silver added to the tip to indicate "non-standard load." which is what silver was before the API came along.  The two on the far right are standard M2 AP black tip, but not much I can add to this beyond that.

Now, if you REALLY want to know what these heavy ball projos are, one option is to have them XRay'd.  I can send you contact info for a lab that does this very thing.  Costs less than 100 bucks, plus shipping.  i've relied on them in the past.  You'll get to see the inside, to a limited degree.  Send them an M2 AP bullet with the heavy ball to Xray in the same slide to compare internals.  (Ball and API would look the same in an xray as AP, so only need the one.)  That might help, or not, just never know.

Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:34:44 PM EDT
[#17]
here are some other very heavy bullets as well as some other things I found in my box

Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:55:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are you gonna do with the blue tip, the S/T and those green and black tip projos?
View Quote

If I come across the correct case, I'll probably have them sectioned.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top