Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
11/2/2022 4:30:06 PM
Posted: 11/20/2021 11:28:13 AM EST
As per suggestion, here's a few tips, just for starters, to keep from fucking up your NV investment.

1.  Unless there's a really good reason not to, store your NVD with the battery OUT.  Time and again you hear the horror stories about this shit.  First of all, it's way too easy for unit to be bumped/left on.  Secondly, alkaline batts will leak over time, making a mess in the housing, not to mention dead-lining your device.

2.  Use Lithium batts, and buy a bunch of them.  This unit cost anywhere from 3-10K; don't skimp on batts!  Lithiums perform better (and won't shit the battery housing).

3.  Protect the lenses.  At least use USGI sacrificial lenses, both front and rear.  Again, guys tell stories of shit hitting the lenses; if it ain't a sacrificial lens, it will be.  Butler creek or other covers ain't a bad idea either.

4.  Clean the lenses.  Use alcohol and lens paper whenever possible.  If not, CARFULLY wipe with the best substitute you have.  Lightly.

5.  Use a lanyard.  Store bought or johnny home-maker, but use a damn lanyard.  These things can pop off your face.  Better it smacks you in the chin, than on the concrete.  

6.  When in use, avoid high light exposure (duh) but realize every time light hits your tube, it degrades it a smidge.  Over time this cumulative light exposure will degrade your tube.  Luckily, this usually takes a LONG time, but no sense speeding it up unnecessarily.

7.  If you have to transit high-light areas, either shut down, or if possible, use a "re-focus" device to shut down light entering the unit.  This allows you to still use IR light/lasers.  A Butler Creek No. 07 with a .223" hole (no I'm not kidding) in it works fantastic here.  You simply close the cover to transit, and then re-open when back in low(er) light.

8.  When donning and doffing kit, sit down, cross-legged, and assemble/adjust with helmet in your lap.  If you fumble anything, especially at night, it will hit your nuts (IOW nothing important) not the hard ground.  And let that be a lesson to you.  

9.  When moving through "enclosed spaces" remember you have this thing hanging off your face; allow more room transit through doorways and such.  You did install a lanyard, right?

10.  When done training, immediately secure your NVD.  Switch off, secure lens covers, remove batts (as soon as possible), put in case, and stow away.  This should be just like loading and unloading your firearm; make it a perfect habit.        

missing
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 11:50:26 AM EST
[#1]
Thank you! Great writeup
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 3:06:06 PM EST
[#2]
Thank you.  I greatly appreciate this thread.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 3:12:54 PM EST
[#3]
I'm new to this, would you mind adding a link of the items in 3 and 7?  I'm pretty sure I am following but I would like to make sure I am.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 3:22:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: Diz] [#4]
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GU9Q5O?tag=arfcom00-20

This would be the cap for the front (obj) end.  Field expedient is to heat up a .223/5.56 brass case and punch through center of cover.  You could also add std camera "filter" that screws inside of lens for added pro (or USGI one).  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CKHSQXI?tag=arfcom00-20

This is the alternate cap that fits on the outside of the obj lens.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CKI0MZW?tag=arfcom00-20

This is the lens that goes on the back side.  They call it a "demist shield" but whatever.  It just pops in place, but be careful.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 4:35:10 PM EST
[#5]
Thank you Diz.

I think this sub forum is a great addition and thank you again for this thread.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 4:50:21 PM EST
[#6]
I have a digital unit that I mess around with all the time and in my area there are a ton of security cameras pointed in what seems like every direction.  Pretty cool for the digitial unit because it needs it to some extent.  My concern with taking my 14 out there is there is a ton of IR that would be at times pointing at me depending on my orientation.  What sort of damage or risk do we take with all that stray IR (direct and indirectly) into tube?  

I have restricted my use to the digital unit in those situations to preserve my 14 for the low light/low to no IR pollution.  I have this fear of burn in or loss of sensitivity.  Am I being paranoid?
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 6:11:23 PM EST
[#7]
Meh, yes and no.  The -14 is a lot sturdier than people give it credit for, but you still don't want to abuse it.  The deal is if you have to use it, then you use a "re-focus" ring and watch the gain.  The .223" hole is a good all-around "f-stop" to block out most of the light.  If this is a big issue for you, then you might want to explore the store-bought versions.  One comes with several different sized holes, another has an adjustable "iris" that can be adjusted to most any light situation.  See TNVC website for details.  Whatever you use, it's a good idea to have, not only for light control, but it will actually "re-focus" for you, so you can leave the focus set on infinity, and simply close it to read stuff up close.  Amazing how that works, have no ideas why, but it does.  I think the store bought ones come with their own sacrificial lenses.

Link Posted: 11/20/2021 8:15:16 PM EST
[#8]
I found this on TNVC's site, are there any others you would consider?  I'm definitely going to do the .223 case first but not opposed to looking into these as well considering how much I have going on here.
I feel like I live next to Clark Griswold.  The ease of mind would get me more time behind the 14.  

https://tnvc.com/shop/matbock-tarsier-eclipse-nvg-focus-enhancer/

I know these are pretty beginner level questions and I appreciate you taking the time to help me.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 8:01:38 AM EST
[#9]
There are many NV vendors.  The problem is two-fold.  First, the quality is all over the map; some have great experiences, others get fucked.  There's not much consistency, even with the same vendor sometimes.  The other issue with recommending vendors is there are site vendors here, who pay a lot of money to be here, and USUALLY are quite willing and able to answer all your questions.  So they are the reason you can come to a forum like this and ask all sorts of shit.  Now this varies quite a bit, but I happen to believe getting all that free chicken means we should ALL try and buy shit from them, whenever possible.  Not that you can't mention other guys in passing, but not get too carried away.

The other site vendor here, besides TNVC, is JRH, who I buy most of my shit from.  Now both of these vendors are really good about answering all your questions, figuring out what you need, and then supplying that to you.  But Robert I happen to have trained with on several occasions so there is a natural tendency to want to deal with a guy you've met, and sweated with.  

As an added bonus, both these guys offer training classes, which you want to try and hit if at all possible.  Lots of little nick-nook stuff you guys are asking here are covered naturally, just by being there and seeing how things are set up and done.  It's like a year of reading this forum in a week-end class.  

So yeah don't be shy, give either one of them a call.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 10:06:47 AM EST
[#10]
Also want to add on when you're putting up your NODs after using them during humid weather, when you put the battery cap back on, don't screw it all the way down. Screw it down just enough to retain the cap. Reason for this is to not trap humidity inside the battery housing. That tiny bit of humid air can still corrode your contacts. Oh and you do have desiccant packs in your NODs case, right?
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 10:51:06 AM EST
[#11]
Good list.

I remember not long after I got my pvs 14 I thought I burned out my tube somehow.  I left the battery in it and I thought it was shut off.  

Well my issue was a silly oversight.  I left the objective cap with the pinhole on and could barely see at night and it showed a lot of snow.  .
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 11:58:59 AM EST
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top