Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2018 11:48:18 AM EDT
I have a Spanish destroyer carbine chambered in 9x23. I've heard that you can use a conversion ring to space the chamber back so a 9x19 will headspace correctly. Does anybody have any experience with this? I'm a machinist, so making the part isn't the problem, I just need to know what I'm making! Is it just a straight 4mm spacer that slides into the bottom of the chamber? I assume i could make it a press fit, or Loctite it so it stays. Any help or advise is appreciated.

ETA: In my research on the topic I've seen several people say that they used the front 4mm off of a fired steel 9x19 case that was then loctited into place. Might be the easiest route, rather than trying to machine that thin spacer.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 12:19:20 PM EDT
[#1]
The usual problem with chamber adapter inserts like that is that they can come loose too easily, given all the heat and pressure cycles they're subjected to. To make them permanent, you should really braze or solder them in, or just put up with the idea it may pop out on you.

Having it pop out wouldn't be too terrible on a 9x23, function-wise, at least. Just a big(ger) jump for the bullet to reach the rifling - but that's no worse than firing a 38 in a revolver chambered for 357 mag.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 1:15:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just a big(ger) jump for the bullet to reach the rifling - but that's no worse than firing a 38 in a revolver chambered for 357 mag.
View Quote
Provided the 9x19 catches on the extractor.

It is nothing like firing  .38 IN  .357 since both head space on the rim.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 2:07:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Therein lies the problem. The 9mm chambers on the front of the case. I don't mind a little extra space before the bullet contacts the rifling, but the 9x19 would only be held rearward by the extractor while the firing pin is trying to push it forward. The extractors on these are a weak point already and I don't want to chance breaking one.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 1:37:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 9:15:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the write-up! I'll definitely keep it in mind. However, I was trying to stay away from loading special rounds for just this one gun. I'd much rather pull a white box off the shelf and go shooting. If I do end up reloading for it I'll just buy a couple hundred rounds of 9x23 brass and do it right.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top