Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2018 10:14:54 PM EDT
I forgot to resize some once fired brass. Like 60 rounds. I shoot them all with zero issues. Do I have to resize 9mm brass? I already expand alot due to casting 9mm bullets with a Lyman Neck Expanding "M-Inchdie (38 Spec/357 Mag/357 Rem Max/38 SandW).
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 10:24:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 11:01:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Resizing is to get a loaded round to reliably fit the chamber after the case is fired.

If they fit and function in your firearm without sizing consider yourself lucky. I would not worry about pulling down the 60 loaded cases that have been loaded and not been sized.

Yes you want to resize 9mm.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 12:15:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of the reasons you resize is to get the neck to the correct diameter for good neck tension.

Which helps with preventing bullet setback.
View Quote
And while it may seem trivial, setback in pistol cartridges can potentially be quite dangerous. With such limited case capacity, small changes in OAL can make big changes to peak pressure.

This is pretty old, but if I’m not mistaken, published by Ramshot powders.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 4:57:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Not only set-back but forward as well.

Motor
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 4:55:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Overall length makes a difference because the bullet takes up a certain amount of space in the case.  If you make the round a little shorter, that also reduces the amount of room inside the case.

While loading shorter can increase pressures, loading longer than the manual's recommended overall length can lower pressures inside the case - which can be a bad thing if the powder requires a certain density to burn efficiently.

This is also why you can't just arbitrarily substitute bullet B for bullet A.  They could have different enough lengths that you adversely affect pressures.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 10:25:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Resizing is to get a loaded round to reliably fit the chamber after the case is fired.

If they fit and function in your firearm without sizing consider yourself lucky. I would not worry about pulling down the 60 loaded cases that have been loaded and not been sized.

View Quote
My thoughts as well!  Pure luck.

Getting that neck sized correctly for proper OAL is also a big deal.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 10:49:52 AM EDT
[#8]
If the fired cases drop into your chamber and "plunk," you could skip the sizing step.
For me, this only occurs with very light loads
As above, the real SAFETY issue is bullet set-back during feeding and, just like EVERY cartridge you load, you should be pushing each seated bullet down into the case with thumb or finger pressure and rejecting any rounds where the bullet moves, even slightly.
The other issue with loading unsized cases if that the rounds are not likely to chamber in any other gun.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Most of my 223 brass that fits a chamber gauge after firing from my AR, could I just use a neck sizing die and not full length size?
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 11:53:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Always fl size in AR's , the one case that gets stuck in you chamber can ruin your day (or your life !!!!)

Later

John
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 1:41:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And as the brass work hardens it is likely it will not repeat.

And loading longer may not reduce pressure as the bullet gets closer to the start of the rifling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top