Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2018 12:24:24 AM EDT
just started reloading 9mm on my 650 and noticed that all of them have a pretty distinct coke bottle shape. google gives mixed answers so thought id try here.

Is the shape normal when reloading 9mm on a dillon with dillon dies? using 124gr RMR jacketed truncated cone bullets with mostly federal brass.

shown below with a factory loaded winchester 9mm white box round nose.

Are these safe to shoot or should i adjust something till the coke bottle shape stops?
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 12:50:08 AM EDT
[#1]
They're fine, your sizing die is undersizing the brass by a bit, pretty normal.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 12:58:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They're fine, your sizing die is undersizing the brass by a bit, pretty normal.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 1:03:10 AM EDT
[#3]
It's perfectly normal. The 9MM case is tapered while the carbide ring in sizing dies sizes straight down taking out much of the taper. After seating a bullet it expands the neck leaving the  coke bottle effect. Federal cases tend to be slightly thicker walled than some other brands and will show more of a coke bottle effect. All steel sizing dies have the taper built into the sizer but the carbide ring doesn't. With a steel sizing die you'd have to use lube though. Other less tapered cases like 40 S&W doesn't show as much effect.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 1:25:34 AM EDT
[#4]
okay thanks for the info.

dont want to clutter the forum up with another topic so ill ask here, does anyone have any load data using cfe pistol powder with 124gr TC bullets? hodgdon recommended loading is 4.9gr starting load but thats with a round nose and longer COAL than i have to use to get these to cycle through my glock 19 (cycling by hand testing to see whats working smoothest)

Im assuming if i went 4.9gr starting id be getting a lot higher pressures since i have to seat deeper. anyone else use these bullets and cfe pistol? id really prefer to keep my hands and glock in tact with no kabooms
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 6:56:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Do you have any RN bullets that you can measure?

In the past, I've measured RN and TC bullets of same weight,

then deducted the difference from COAL.

Not the most scientific method, but still have all my fingers and pistols.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 7:03:08 AM EDT
[#6]
When I was using the Lee dies my reloads looked like that.  Very hard to resize the cases due to how much it was squeezing them down.  I bought a set of RCBS dies.  Much easier to resize the brass and I no longer have that coke bottle look.

Yeah, I know.  I could just lube the cases and the Lee die wouldn't have felt like I was resizing GI 7.62X51 brass.  But the whole reason for spending the extra money on the carbine resizing die was so I wouldn't have to use lube.  Stuff should work like it's supposed to work.  Sometimes a work around is okay, not in this case.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 8:54:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Normal for a undersized die.  I run one.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 11:42:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Unless... Your cases are not evenly bulged all around. If you have a bulge on one side of a loaded case, but not the opposite side, you are probably seating your bullets crooked in the case. I see this situation a lot in 9mm, and primarily blame progressive presses at the expanding stage. Some shell plates are a bit sloppy and allow the case to move around a bit while expanding.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 2:51:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Unless... Your cases are not evenly bulged all around. If you have a bulge on one side of a loaded case, but not the opposite side, you are probably seating your bullets crooked in the case. I see this situation a lot in 9mm, and primarily blame progressive presses at the expanding stage. Some shell plates are a bit sloppy and allow the case to move around a bit while expanding.
View Quote
That happened a couple times out of 100rds I loaded today. I tossed them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 4:53:15 PM EDT
[#10]
so i shot 15 of the coke bottle 9mm, flawless function, really good accuracy, hits about 8" high at 25 yards though
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Coke bottle shape is normal.

I'd say you need a tiny bit more crimp.  Refer to the factory ammo for guidance.  See that tiny bit of crimp they gave?

8" high - could be recoil related; could be sights; could be the powder charge.  What was used to determine the sight settings for the zero at 25 yards?
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Coke bottle shape is normal.

I'd say you need a tiny bit more crimp.  Refer to the factory ammo for guidance.  See that tiny bit of crimp they gave?

8" high - could be recoil related; could be sights; could be the powder charge.  What was used to determine the sight settings for the zero at 25 yards?
View Quote
Factory 124gr federal hits dead on at 25yd. I can send 15 rds on top of each other onto the bolt holding a steel target with the federal ammo. The reloads are grouping just as nicely but are hitting high.

I'll adjust the crimp and try again.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 11:33:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 12:45:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
CFE Pistol in 9mm;
All loads use an OAL of 1.08.
I have a short throated CZ so ,my AOL's run shorter than many others. So if your OAL is longer you will be fine.

With a home cast 120 gr TC (powder coated) 3.9 grs, shot fine a light load.

With a 123 gr commercial cast CN (conical nose, shorter than a TC nose);
4.5 grs CFE Pistol
4.8 grs CFE Pistol
5.0 grs CFE Pistol I liked this load the best. Accurate and felt like a full power load. I stopped working up right here.

I wouldn't start at 4.9 grs, 4.2 or 4.3 seems better to me since you are experimenting with OAL. Good luck.
View Quote
thanks for the info.

i loaded 100rds at 4.3gr with 1.075 OAL and had 100% function, no chrono though so i have no idea on the velocity. brass and primers were good and no problems there.

need to find a good chrono next.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 1:54:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:31:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Another thing that will help minimize the "coke bottle effect" is switch to .355 projectiles.  Most bulk projectiles(Extreme, Berry's, etc) are .356.  I save all my .356 projectiles for running in the 9mm cylinder on my Blackhawk, and run exclusively .355 in my Xd.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:49:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That happened a couple times out of 100rds I loaded today. I tossed them.
View Quote
No need to toss them if they fit in your chamber.

Crooked seated bullets don't appear to affect accuracy for the typical gun.  Read this:

crooked-seated-bullets-and-accuracy
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 2:11:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No need to toss them if they fit in your chamber.

Crooked seated bullets don't appear to affect accuracy for the typical gun.  Read this:

crooked-seated-bullets-and-accuracy
View Quote
they were crooked to the point of not fitting, not sure what went wrong, maybe got into too much of a hurry is my guess.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 10:51:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:03:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If your seating die does not have a bullet alignment sleeve like that on Hornady die, you have to guide the bullet in straight as the brass enters the bottom of the seating die.

One of those little things that makes a difference in the finish round.
View Quote
figured out what happened. Somehow my powder die backed out to the point of not belling the case enough but was still throwing the correct powder charge, no idea how that happened.

tightened the die back down so it belled the case more, loaded another 200 rounds with 0 trouble.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 3:15:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 7:24:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I personally don't like the Coke bottle shape.  No issues with it other than cosmetic as others mentioned but always thought it was ugly.  
I'm loading on a 650 also.
Over ten years ago, I backed out my Dillon decapping/sizing die and then advanced the decapping pin.  So it doesn't size all the way down on stage 1.
I then swapped the Dillon taper crimp die with the Lee Factory Crimp die.  I love that die.  It sizes further down the case than the Dillon die and I no longer have the Coke bottle shape.  I'm shooting out of all different types of 9mm hosts including full auto UZI SMG's that have huge sloppy chambers.  Brass is swelled more out of those chambers and with the Lee FCD, it sizes the brass back so that it functions even in tight match chambers.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought a Redding 9mm die for this exact reason. Told about it right here many moons ago. That and get the Lee crimp and you should be gtg
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 2:32:54 PM EDT
[#24]
124gr truncated cones don't work for me.  The ogive hits the rifling on my CZ75 preventing firing.  If I shorten them to chamber, they don't feed for shit. 

I hope you tested them before loading a big batch.  I didn't.

It looks Iike you have a lot of that TC base hanging out of your brass.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
124gr truncated cones don't work for me.  The ogive hits the rifling on my CZ75 preventing firing.  If I shorten them to chamber, they don't feed for shit. 

I hope you tested them before loading a big batch.  I didn't.

It looks Iike you have a lot of that TC base hanging out of your brass.
View Quote
yeah those oads pictured were loaded long since i was still setting up dies, i went back and loaded them to the correct length.

i made the mistake of loading a big batch without testing my first time when i started, i loaded 20 rds and tested before loading the rest this time
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 8:16:46 AM EDT
[#26]
I like the coke bottle shape because I think that it would keep bullet set back from occurring even if the crimp is a little light.

With soft lead projectiles you have to make sure the case mouth is expanded enough so that it doesn’t swage the bullet down in size.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top