Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2022 4:28:37 PM EDT
Which are usually the better overall host for 9mm?
Compact length or sligthly longer “full size” barreled pistols?

Which is more reliable suppressed?

Which is quieter and can you really tell without a db meter?

Which has less junk blowback towards the shooters face?

These are the pistols im wondering about the most:
G19 vs G17
HK P30 vs P30L
Sig p229 vs p226
Beretta 92x centurion vs 92x full size
Cz p07 vs Cz p09

Thanks

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 4:43:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Typically full sized and hammer fired are the better pistol hosts.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Very short barrels (~3.5" or less) may keep 124gr subsonic which is nice with a can, but other than that you aren't going to notice any different between say a 4.1" barrel compared to a 4.3".
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Typically full sized and hammer fired are the better pistol hosts.
View Quote

No full sized but on the striker fired vs hammer front I like the CZ P07 more.  The Dagger is a Glock clone and I think generally speaking most will agree Glocks and similar pistols are not usually the best can hosts.  Everyone swears the Beretta 92 is an excellent host.  I really wish I could find a threaded barrel for mine to see why.  

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 4:35:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No full sized but on the striker fired vs hammer front I like the CZ P07 more.  The Dagger is a Glock clone and I think generally speaking most will agree Glocks and similar pistols are not usually the best can hosts.  Everyone swears the Beretta 92 is an excellent host.  I really wish I could find a threaded barrel for mine to see why.  

https://i.imgur.com/c7k0EjGh.jpg

View Quote

Looks like jarvis is taking backorders for threaded beretta 92 barrels. Only $300
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 5:43:30 AM EDT
[#5]
As far as production pistols go, the best host I own is the HK P9S in 9mm.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:46:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd probably use the Sig or Beretta or HK hammer fired pistols out of your list there.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:58:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Everyone swears the Beretta 92 is an excellent host.  I really wish I could find a threaded barrel for mine to see why.  
View Quote
I have several suppressed Beretta 92's.  I think they are only excellent hosts IF you do NOT use a booster.  You will need a light can to do this.  Back in the late 90's and early 2000's before the boosters were invented they were the go to and you could find lighter cans back then.  Gemtech Vortex and Trinity are both 1.25" diameter can with all aluminum baffles and tube.  AAC, AWC and SWR all had 1.25" light can offerings at this time period all worked great on the Beretta 92's.  Some messed with recoil springs but myself and several friends only just changed the hammer spring to the 'D" (double action only) hammer spring.  I think this was better and we never bothered switching springs when going back and forth from suppressed to non-suppressed.

I think they are terrible hosts if you add a booster as it tends to spit back in your face if you do.  Most boosters are designed for suppressing Glocks and similar actions which are not tolerant of much weight hanging on the end so what do you think is going to happen when you put it on a Beretta that almost cycles without a booster?  I would presume that you could play with the booster springs to use a lighter one for a Beretta but I never did.  That is just added weight, length and complexity in regards to the Beretta platform.

Most of my Beretta's I just had the existing barrel threaded as finding threaded barrels back then was very expensive and long lead times.

Today several people make them but I would maybe just get one direct from the Beretta store and they have sales somewhat regularly.  I've been thinking about getting their SS barrel whenever it comes back in stock.  Silencerco makes nice threaded barrels as well.

All that said, these days I just shoot my Maxim 9 for a suppressed 9mm pistol.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:09:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have several suppressed Beretta 92's.  I think they are only excellent hosts IF you do NOT use a booster.  You will need a light can to do this.  Back in the late 90's and early 2000's before the boosters were invented they were the go to and you could find lighter cans back then.  Gemtech Vortex and Trinity are both 1.25" diameter can with all aluminum baffles and tube.  AAC, AWC and SWR all had 1.25" light can offerings at this time period all worked great on the Beretta 92's.  Some messed with recoil springs but myself and several friends only just changed the hammer spring to the 'D" (double action only) hammer spring.  I think this was better and we never bothered switching springs when going back and forth from suppressed to non-suppressed.

I think they are terrible hosts if you add a booster as it tends to spit back in your face if you do.  Most boosters are designed for suppressing Glocks and similar actions which are not tolerant of much weight hanging on the end so what do you think is going to happen when you put it on a Beretta that almost cycles without a booster?  I would presume that you could play with the booster springs to use a lighter one for a Beretta but I never did.  That is just added weight, length and complexity in regards to the Beretta platform.

Most of my Beretta's I just had the existing barrel threaded as finding threaded barrels back then was very expensive and long lead times.

Today several people make them but I would maybe just get one direct from the Beretta store and they have sales somewhat regularly.  I've been thinking about getting their SS barrel whenever it comes back in stock.  Silencerco makes nice threaded barrels as well.

All that said, these days I just shoot my Maxim 9 for a suppressed 9mm pistol.
View Quote

Similar experience.
Osprey 9 (no booster) on a 92FS with lightest recoil spring functions 80% of the time with 147 gn. I put a RDS on and the extra weight is a show stopper.
I put the stock or one size stiffer recoil spring in and installed the booster. It's ok to shoot but would be better if it didn't have the booster.

I also bought a Maxim 9.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Having ran my Obsidian 45/Mod9SK on a series of hosts, and having tried an Octane 45 on a few other hosts, I'd rank them:

1) 226/1911/2011.  I'd put all three in the same tier as they have zero blowback with both of my cans.  
2) Beretta 92.  Every once in a while I'd get some blowback, but 95% of the time you're good.  

After those, the other hosts I've tried have been pretty bad.  The HK45 is pretty terrible, as is the FNX45 and G17.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#11]
That’s why the HK P9S is amazing.  No booster needed for any weight can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top