Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/18/2020 3:21:44 PM EDT
Although I've been reloading rifle for a couple of years, I recently decided to start reloading 9mm, as well.

You'll be very surprised to learn that there is some conflicting information online, as well as some less-than-useful "instructional" videos.  I wanted to get some advice from the arfcom hive regarding best practices before I run my first batch.

My first area of confusion regards cleaning of the brass.  For rifle, I routinely decap as a first step before wet or dry tumbling.  It seems many pistol reloaders clean their brass prior to using the decaping/sizing die.  (I finally found a Lee Deluxe carbide set, which includes the factory crimp die.)  What about the primer pockets?  Do you not clean them, or do it in a separate step?  Or is it better to run the cases through the first die and then tumble?

I also wanted to know about preferred tumbling media.  I just ran some cases in my vibratory tumbler for an hour and a half with some corn cob media I had on hand.  They didn't seem that clean.  Is it better to use walnut for this application?

Im excited and eager to work up my first loads in 9mm.  I've been slowly acquiring the hard-to-find components during the past month.  Now have Xtreme 124g RN .355, Titegroup, and CCI 500 for my once-fired S&B brass.  Based on what I've found in various reloading manuals, looking at a conservative charge of 3.8 grains of Titegroup for practice and occasional IDPA with my VP9 and P10C.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience and advice.  Let the purse swinging begin!
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 3:30:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I just tumble then throw into a progressive.

Corn cob does have more chunks than walnut in the primer pocket, but they all push out the same.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 3:33:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Assuming you are not a champion bullseye shooter.

1. Tumble
2. Throw on progressive that will go from remove primer to seating bullet.
3. Shoot ammo
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I am new but evolve fast and hear about others methods.

My current method is to do a quick degrease/clean in a laundry jug first.
Then decap and resize at same time with Lee carbide die.  

Now wet tumble with SouthernShine media which cleans pockets very well. I conclude its worth it to clean the pockets.

I may insert a primer pocket uniformer step before tumbling in the future but I havent yet. And only once if the brass hasnt had it done yet.

Then the rest is up to you.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I tumble clean with primers in place.

Then into the 550.

Fls, decap, prime.

Then powder and flare case.

Seat bullet in station 3 and a light chrimp in station 4.

I see no reason to deprime first, or wet tumble at all unless you are really into the extra bling.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 4:20:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Corn cob does have more chunks than walnut in the primer pocket, but they all push out the same.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Tumble to get the range dirt off the cases.
Decap, prime, power, projectile shoot and repeat.
Pretty simple process.

Since you asked, I admit I am a Brass-hole and like the bling.  Here is my process just for funz and for others to say "Damn too much work, dummy”

1) Dry tumble with primers in to remove the range crud.
2) Spray off walnut dust with water hose, let dry.  (Southern AZ, so drying time in the sun is minimal)
3) Toss brass into gallon baggie, spray with Lanolin Lube mix.
4) Decap/resize on Lee APP with collator and tube feed . ( As long as the cases  are mouth up, you can run it as fast as you can pull the handle)
5) De-lube cases with Simple Green or Purple Power, rinse.
6) Wet tumble, throw in sun to dry.
7) Hand prime.  ( I know…Why do that with a progressive next to you?  Final brass inspection to catch cracked, swagged primer pockets or just plain jacked brass.)

YMMV, but I find my process very relaxing.  Just about to finish 3 gallons of 9mm today.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:
Assuming you are not a champion bullseye shooter.

1. Tumble
2. Throw on progressive that will go from remove primer to seating bullet.
3. Shoot ammo
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/18/2020 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#8]
9mm needs case lube?
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
9mm needs case lube?
View Quote

Do you use carbide dies?
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
9mm needs case lube?
View Quote

With carbide dies? Not necessary.

I only use it it help things run smoothly for the decap/resize process. See my post above.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Do you use carbide dies?
View Quote

Hornady
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

With carbide dies? Not necessary.

I only use it it help things run smoothly for the decap/resize process. See my post above.
View Quote

Same here
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Lee carbide dies, so no lube needed apparently.
If that saves me steps, I'll take it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 6:30:32 PM EDT
[#14]
On the dillon the process is noticeably smoother with lubed cases. It only takes a second and you don't need to remove it before you load.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 6:32:03 PM EDT
[#15]
@BoggsAZ

Forgot to mention, everyone has their favorite tumbling media.  For me, corn cob seemed to be more of a 'final polish" for brass.  I was turned on to crushed walnut (Lizard bedding $8 for 5 qts) and a cupful of Nu-Finish Car polish.

If you do go this path, run the tumbler for a while and let the Nu-Finish mix in.  The first brass batch in new walnut, do not run as long.  It is pretty coarse until it breaks down a bit.  After a few batches add, add a couple drizzles of Nu-finish to keep the brass cleaning up.  When the mix turns dark give it a toss and start over again.

About $20 invested, lasted me about 6 years before having to buy a new bag and bottle.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I tumble and throw it in the Dillon.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 9:04:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a Lee carbide die and just swipe my finger on some imperial sizing wax every 3-4 cases as I grab them.
I am doing them one at a time on a single stage so its no big deal.

Link Posted: 10/18/2020 9:21:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I use an RCBS universal decapping die. Then tumble in corncob or walnut media with added polish, which helps clean the primer pocket. Then resize with Lee carbide dies, which will clean any media from flash hole.

Prime as a batch, then flare as a batch. Then powder and bullet seated.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
On the dillon the process is noticeably smoother with lubed cases.
View Quote

Press operates so much smoother as the cases glide through carbide ring slicker than snot on a vegatable oiled door knob
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 10:19:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Wet tumble with pins and a capfull of automotive wash & wax.  After drying, put about a hundred at a time in a plastic bag and a shot or two of One Shot lube, and shake for a minute or two to get a majority of the cases lubed.  You can feel the difference in the decapping/sizing station as well as the expanding/powder drop die.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 10:31:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Here's a stupid question, does the lube interact with the powder in any sense?
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 10:33:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
9mm needs case lube?
View Quote

The only thing Hornady One Shot is good for is lubing pistol brass. And it excels at that. Smooth effortless resizing, even if you have carbide dies you'll feel the difference. Doesn't have to be removed. It's great.

They should change its name to "Hornady One Shot Pistol Lube Don't Use It On Rifle Brass It's For Pistol Brass See It Says Pistol Three Times In Its Name" ...
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 10:41:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not stupid, great question.  Typically, you are just going to apply a little bit on the outside of the case.

Think of a hot sweaty day, rub the side of your nose and lightly coat the outside of the case with it.  That is just about the amount of lube to put on the case.  In the past I used a Lee lube, little bit of rubbing alcohol and a cut up can cozy to roll every 20th round in.

Hope that makes some sense.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 10:47:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Not stupid, great question.  Typically, you are just going to apply a little bit on the outside of the case.

Think of a hot sweaty day, rub the side of your nose and lightly coat the outside of the case with it.  That is just about the amount of lube to put on the case.  In the past I used a Lee lube, little bit of rubbing alcohol and a cut up can cozy to roll every 20th round in.

Hope that makes some sense.
View Quote

With rifle, I tend to just spray the hell out of it in the ammo can, close the ammo can, rotate and shake it for a while, let it sit, size, then dry tumble to get the lube off.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 11:06:33 PM EDT
[#25]

I dry tumble in corncob

Then pour into Dillon 650 casefeeder

Load them up

3.8gr TG with a 124/125gr works well for USPSA and IDPA

Link Posted: 10/18/2020 11:18:55 PM EDT
[#26]
just tumble the sort out cases with crimped (has NATO Cross on it) or tight primer prockets (S&B).  Can deal with those pockets with a RCBS military crimp remover, Dillon swager, etc.

Inspect the brass for splits, mud in the case etc.  Weed out 9x18 MAK, 380, aluminum, steel cases.

Load 'em up
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 11:23:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

With rifle, I tend to just spray the hell out of it in the ammo can, close the ammo can, rotate and shake it for a while, let it sit, size, then dry tumble to get the lube off.
View Quote

LOL, sorry was referring to case lube on a 9mm.  Rifle brass... I lube those like the educational 'sex videos' on the internet.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 11:35:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 11:50:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I decap with a Lee universal decapper, wet tumble, dry, and load them.

https://i.imgur.com/hawqKsxl.jpg

Primer pockets come out spotless. These are 45 ACP, but 9mm's look the same.

View Quote

@dryflash3  has all the sexy stuff.  

Wet Tumble for the Bling!
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 11:54:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

LOL, sorry was referring to case lube on a 9mm.  Rifle brass... I lube those like the educational 'sex videos' on the internet.
View Quote

Yeah I understand, I just don't know if the time to do it as you described is worth it for 9mm plinking ammo, but everyone has their own processes
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 11:56:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 12:09:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yeah I understand, I just don't know if the time to do it as you described is worth it for 9mm plinking ammo, but everyone has their own processes
View Quote

No it is not, I'm just odd in that way. I set up for one thing and run the snot out of it before a change over.

Like prior posters echoed, lube on 9mm is not necessary;  but a little every few cases helps things run a bit smother through the decap/resize die.  Especially if you process range brass that was shot out of a worn chamber.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 12:16:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Meh, it's 10 year old technology, but I do have it figured out.
View Quote

Indeed, your pics and advice all over the forum pushed me to do the same.  Best complements are "Damn, this shoots nice" in conjunction with the "looks better than factory".

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 12:37:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:18:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I use One Shot, I spray it on the inside of the bag and not directly on the freshly cleaned brass.  My opinion is that when tipping the bag back and forth, lube is getting on the outside of the cases and shouldn't get on the inside, so should be no affect on the powder.  I can feel a big difference on the lever from the resizing die.

Yes - 3.8 g Titegroup under a 124g bullet is pretty much the standard in USPSA circles.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 2:02:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Thanks to all!  Very helpful.
Needing polarized sunglasses for that wet tumbled brass, though!  Better than new! (Do you use SS pins for that, or just Dawn/Lemishine?) Need to rename yourself wetflash!
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 2:18:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
9mm needs case lube?
View Quote

I lube every single piece of brass that goes through my press, even through carbide dies
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 2:20:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Thanks to all!  Very helpful.
Needing polarized sunglasses for that wet tumbled brass, though!  Better than new! (Do you use SS pins for that, or just Dawn/Lemishine?) Need to rename yourself wetflash!
View Quote

I use both.

FA tumbler with a near-full gallon ziplock of brass.  1/8tsp lemishine and 1 tsp of Dawn.  Tumble for an hour.  Presto.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 3:53:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

When I use One Shot, I spray it on the inside of the bag and not directly on the freshly cleaned brass.  My opinion is that when tipping the bag back and forth, lube is getting on the outside of the cases and shouldn't get on the inside, so should be no affect on the powder.  I can feel a big difference on the lever from the resizing die.

Yes - 3.8 g Titegroup under a 124g bullet is pretty much the standard in USPSA circles.
View Quote

Good thinking, I like that. I use Titegroup but load 147s because everything is suppressed, so if that method works for you I'll try that.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 4:06:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Might want to make sure that S&B brass doesn't have a crimped primer pocket,before you mess up a perfectly good primer. Had some that had a crimp in the past and some that didn't.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 4:23:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 10:20:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Might want to make sure that S&B brass doesn't have a crimped primer pocket,before you mess up a perfectly good primer. Had some that had a crimp in the past and some that didn't.
View Quote
Primed some of my once fired S&B last night.  Primed easily with a RCBS hand primer.  Crispy doesn't seem to be an issue with mine...  Thx for the tip!
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 11:17:25 AM EDT
[#43]
My process.  Dry tumble in 75% walnut/25% cob with a few drops of hornady oneshot pollish for about 4 hrs. Sift. Repeat for about 2000 cases. Decap/size on lee challenger press with lee carbide dies, lubing 1 case about every 100 or so. The final polish in 75% cob/25% walnut with a few drops of oneshot. Then load.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#44]
The only thing Hornady One Shot is good for is lubing pistol brass. And it excels at that. Smooth effortless resizing, even if you have carbide dies you'll feel the difference. Doesn't have to be removed. It's great.
View Quote

THIS IS GREAT ADVICE

Of course HOS actually stands for Hornady One Stuck!

I personally tumble in corn cob and a splash of Iosso and they cases definitely are slicker when they hit the Redding Titanium Carbide Sizer
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

This

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#46]
I am currently paying $50 for same headstamp processed brass delivered to my door.

If you want an exercise in frustration, take a five gallon bucket of mixed range brass, throw it in the tumbler of your choice, and then load as quickly as you can on a Dillon.

It is well worth your time to clean, inspect and sort your brass prior to loading.

I use this example to make a point with new guys I am teaching how to reload.

Ymmv
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 5:30:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I am currently paying $50 for same headstamp processed brass delivered to my door.

If you want an exercise in frustration, take a five gallon bucket of mixed range brass, throw it in the tumbler of your choice, and then load as quickly as you can on a Dillon.

It is well worth your time to clean, inspect and sort your brass prior to loading.

I use this example to make a point with new guys I am teaching how to reload.

Ymmv
View Quote

Why is it an exercise in frustration? I’ve never sorted my pistol brass by headstamp
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 5:45:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Why is it an exercise in frustration? I’ve never sorted my pistol brass by headstamp
View Quote

My 650 feeds mixed head stamped pistol brass without issue.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 5:56:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I tumble and throw it in the Dillon.
View Quote
Same.  I use walnut and leave the primers in.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Me either. I do inspect each case as I feed them to my 550.

I don’t use a case feeder.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top