Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2021 10:26:47 PM EDT
I have a styer-solothurn 98 mauser from 1934 that was sent to Columbia as a 7x57, bought back by Israel and rebarreled to 7.62x51, imported to the US prior to '68. Very well done "economy" sporterized (military stock cut down, glass bedded, barrel shortened and an M1carbine front sight installed with a Redfield apeture receiver sight).  It presently has an FN bolt, and works fine save for one bothersome problem.  A cartridge will not stay on the bolt face until it contacts the ejector...about 50%+ of the time, it simply falls off as soon as the cartridge clears the chamber.  Extraction works fine.

From what I understand, a loaded cartridge should stay on the bolt face, let alone an empty one.  Apparently there should be a small (like 0.001-0.002) "nub" on the bolt face rim next to the ejector slot that holds the cartridge until it contacts the ejector.

Not having a TIG welder or a lathe, I opted to order a stripped bolt (for the proper receiver) from Numrich and a new extractor, along with a Field chamber gauge.

Question is:  What are the odds that this "new" bolt will properly headspace?  I know, I won't know until I try it, but any of y'all that have swapped bolts in '98 mausers, what's been your experience?
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:13:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a styer-solothurn 98 mauser from 1934 that was sent to Columbia as a 7x57, bought back by Israel and rebarreled to 7.62x51, imported to the US prior to '68. Very well done "economy" sporterized (military stock cut down, glass bedded, barrel shortened and an M1carbine front sight installed with a Redfield apeture receiver sight).  It presently has an FN bolt, and works fine save for one bothersome problem.  A cartridge will not stay on the bolt face until it contacts the ejector...about 50%+ of the time, it simply falls off as soon as the cartridge clears the chamber.  Extraction works fine.

From what I understand, a loaded cartridge should stay on the bolt face, let alone an empty one.  Apparently there should be a small (like 0.001-0.002) "nub" on the bolt face rim next to the ejector slot that holds the cartridge until it contacts the ejector.

Not having a TIG welder or a lathe, I opted to order a stripped bolt (for the proper receiver) from Numrich and a new extractor, along with a Field chamber gauge.

Question is:  What are the odds that this "new" bolt will properly headspace?  I know, I won't know until I try it, but any of y'all that have swapped bolts in '98 mausers, what's been your experience?
View Quote

After that many years and variables, it will need to be looked at closely.  

Are you sure the extractor was not wore?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top