Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2018 5:15:45 PM EDT
Is a 1 in 8 Twist fast enough for the .224 80gr VLD?

This is a 22-6mm AI Velocity will be in the 3500fps range. (Currently shooting 75gr A-Max at 3600fps)

Other suggestions are welcome as well. Accuracy is the primary purpose. The only thing likely to be hunted is groundhogs so bullet performance other than accuracy is not a concern. Thanks

Motor
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 6:17:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 6:37:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes a 1-8 will stabilise a 80 VLD

My .223 Tikka T3 f class and Br fly shoot rifle is pushing the 80 VLD at 2950fps.

It has won me a few comps
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 10:56:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. I think Midway has them on sale too.

Motor
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Just out of curiosity what velocity can you get the 70gr VLD to run?  It's pretty impressive on coyotes past 300 yards out of my  .223rem.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 1:49:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just out of curiosity what velocity can you get the 70gr VLD to run?  It's pretty impressive on coyotes past 300 yards out of my  .223rem.
View Quote
I don't know who you are directing your question to. I could without any doubt push the 70gr beyond 3600.

There must be a lot to sectional density. I called Hornady a few years ago and ask if there were any plans to make a .224 75gr V-MAX. I was told that the A-Max Is constructed almost identical to the V-MAX.

I can tell you first hand the .243" 75gr V-MAX at 3500 (6mm Remington) is very explosive. Considering the way it reacts on groundhogs I would never attempt to hunt whitetail deer with them. Yet Hornady claims the .224 A-Max and .244 V-Max use the same construction.

We have also taken many groundhogs and a couple deer with the .224" 75gr A-Max going 3600fps MV. The damage on groundhogs is very similar as what you would want from a big game bullet. Same as on the deer but no heavy bone was hit on the deer so I don't know what would happen then. The 75gr A-Max just simply shoots through leaving a exit about an inch or so in diameter.

I can only chock it up to sectional density. I can also tell you we stopped hunting deer with the 22-6mm AI. While direct damage to the meat by the bullet was minimal the bruising caused by the hydrostatic shock was incredible. Even at 230 yards.

Motor
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 10:01:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't know who you are directing your question to. I could without any doubt push the 70gr beyond 3600.

There must be a lot to sectional density. I called Hornady a few years ago and ask if there were any plans to make a .224 75gr V-MAX. I was told that the A-Max Is constructed almost identical to the V-MAX.

I can tell you first hand the .243" 75gr V-MAX at 3500 (6mm Remington) is very explosive. Considering the way it reacts on groundhogs I would never attempt to hunt whitetail deer with them. Yet Hornady claims the .224 A-Max and .244 V-Max use the same construction.

We have also taken many groundhogs and a couple deer with the .224" 75gr A-Max going 3600fps MV. The damage on groundhogs is very similar as what you would want from a big game bullet. Same as on the deer but no heavy bone was hit on the deer so I don't know what would happen then. The 75gr A-Max just simply shoots through leaving a exit about an inch or so in diameter.

I can only chock it up to sectional density. I can also tell you we stopped hunting deer with the 22-6mm AI. While direct damage to the meat by the bullet was minimal the bruising caused by the hydrostatic shock was incredible. Even at 230 yards.

Motor
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Motor
I bet the blood shotting is well over a foot in diameter. I shot a bobcat once with the 6mm 75gr Vmax and it was a disaster I couldn't sew my way out of.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top