Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2022 10:38:26 PM EDT
Hoping I’m posting this in the right place. I inherited an old 7mm Mauser a while back. It’s shorter than most of the Mausers I’ve seen, with a shorter rear yardage sight, and has a ring (almost like to attach to a saddle) towards the middle of the stock, which leads me to believe it may have been a Calvary rifle. Anyway, I had high hopes of trying to deer hunt with it, but I can’t hit the broad side of a barn. Even at 50 yards, I can get a hit on a rather large target. Is there something I’m missing about the sights on these old war horses? Ammo has been both Federal and PPU soft points, but I can’t remember the grain.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 10:57:29 PM EDT
[#1]
When you shoot it at the large target, are the shots grouping well,  just not where you are aiming?
Or
Are the shots going all over the place?

Does it look like this?

Link Posted: 9/11/2022 11:42:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Know too that from that time period many military guns had basic zeros which we now consider ridiculous.  There were some where the lowest sight setting was for a 500 yard zero.  My brother had one such where at 100 yards it impacted a yard high with the lowest sight setting.  That might be your issue.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 1:13:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Know too that from that time period many military guns had basic zeros which we now consider ridiculous.  There were some where the lowest sight setting was for a 500 yard zero.  My brother had one such where at 100 yards it impacted a yard high with the lowest sight setting.  That might be your issue.
View Quote

Exactly…..
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Exactly…..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly…..

I’m thinking is may be the issue, because it’s not even on paper. I may try aiming super low and see if that fixes things.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Thought I would update. I finally got on paper this past weekend at 50 yards...I just had to aim 3 feet low. Thanks to everyone for the help. And hey, if I get some practice in, I might just try to deer hunt with this set-up at some point.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:51:52 PM EDT
[#6]
You might try to see if you can find a replacement taller front sight…
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thought I would update. I finally got on paper this past weekend at 50 yards...I just had to aim 3 feet low. Thanks to everyone for the help. And hey, if I get some practice in, I might just try to deer hunt with this set-up at some point.
View Quote

Not uncommon with old milsurps.  You need a taller front sight, and no I don't of anyone making them.  Eons ago a friend of mine, when faced with the same issue, soldered is small steel rod on top of the front sight.  Not terribly attractive but it worked.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:37:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I have replaced every front sight on every milsurp bolt gun I have to get them to hit POA at 100 yards.

My Swedish Mauser was set for a 300 yard zero at it's lowest setting.

I replaced the front sight with a New Old Stock tall one from Numrich Arms AKA Gun Parts Corporation and now it shoots beautifully.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:13:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Brownell's sell 91 through 98 Mauser blank front sights.

Install one and file the top to get it to target............

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/front-sights/mauser-91-dovetail-front-sight-blank-prod341.aspx
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top