Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2023 4:51:19 PM EDT
Picked up an older 77/22 at the big fun show. It had a custom 17 barrel, not HMR, the other one. It had been painted but it doesn't bother me yet. May try to strip the paint.

I have a nice 22lr Ruger target barrel at home that fit well.

My question is about the stock. Did Bell and Carson make a 77/22 target stock? I don't see one online. But the rifle came with one and it looks like a perfect fit. Guessing they don't make one anymore.

Crappy picture in too much sun.

Attachment Attached File

ETA:  I started cleaning off the bolt handle with acetone as some paint was missing and the bolt handle looks a lot like my 77/22 matte stainless target rifle. I assumed the ruger was originally blued. When did they start making the matte stainless 77/22s?
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 6:26:55 PM EDT
[#1]
The "All Weather" model was matte stainless, (the ones with the only stock ever made that is uglier than a MagPul boat paddle)
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 6:59:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm talking about the VMBZ. Have one here in 17HMR. The Ruger I bought today was made in 87. Don't think they were making the VMBZ that early. The rings are blue so I assumed the rifle was originally blued. At least the bolt appears not to be. The guy claimed it was ceracoated. Don't think it is. Paint on the bolt handle is coming off with acetone.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 8:53:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The "All Weather" model was matte stainless, (the ones with the only stock ever made that is uglier than a MagPul boat paddle)
View Quote

When ruger came out with those stocks I roasted the living hell out of them.  Then I picked up a used .22 mag in the Zytel stock as a beater.  It is absolutely perfect for that.  They grew on me.  That said the .30-06 stainless my friend had was an unbalanced pig.   Way too light in the butt for the barrel length.  He always wanted to trade off in the mountain woods for my model 7.  No deal!
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 9:18:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I found references to people inletting these in to Remington 700 stocks. So guessing that was done here. They did a very good job.  I'm headed to the range in a bit.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 9:38:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Had several fail to fire. Had another 77/22 with me so I swapped in the other bolt and it worked. Really windy so the groups sucked. Around .75 to an inch at 50 yards. Took both bolts apart and compared firing pin length and protrusion. Everything looks good. The bolt that gave the failure to fire sounds weaker than the other one when dry fired. I'm guessing someone messed with the spring. I'll get another spring ordered.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 11:37:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Had several fail to fire. Had another 77/22 with me so I swapped in the other bolt and it worked. Really windy so the groups sucked. Around .75 to an inch at 50 yards. Took both bolts apart and compared firing pin length and protrusion. Everything looks good. The bolt that gave the failure to fire sounds weaker than the other one when dry fired. I'm guessing someone messed with the spring. I'll get another spring ordered.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/262615/20230414_164506_jpg-2783201.JPG
View Quote

That is such a gorgeous rifle!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top