Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2017 1:07:34 PM EDT
Anyone have any first hand experience or info to share on this?  All that's really out there is gun rag promo material, mostly on the DMR variant, all of which I take with a large grain of salt.

The main reason I ask is I have a chance to pick up a very gently used one, and I was surprised to see so little info out there on them.  I originally had my heart set on a Savage MSR10, but the Sig juju and my love for piston guns has me seriously considering spending a bit more on something nicer.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:39:57 PM EDT
[#1]
The gen 2 should be good to go.  Make sure you run it wet.  I have a 3-gun that I had four years and I like it!  Would buy 716 again.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 6:09:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a new 716 Patrol model as of January of this year.  My old one was graciously replaced by SIG, they do take care of their customers.  

They still have that ugly cheese grater hand guard unlike the new 516's.  Saw a new 716 at my LGS that looked identical to mine.  They haven't changed the hand guard on the 716's yet.  

New one has been dead nuts reliable with various ammo.   Accuracy favors the heavier bullet weights but I have some testing to do with the lighter weights under 140 grains.  The 175 grain is making the tightest groups.  168 grain is still quite respectable.  

I got this model because I wanted to shoot suppressed.  My old one did not like suppressors, it was overgassed even at the suppressor setting.  

The new one was still overgassed with my Rugged Surge.  However when I put the Tranquillo, it is a match made in heaven.  The rugged surge is now dedicated to my 516.  The Tranquillo color matches the FDE on my 716.

My two gripes are the hand guard and it is a heavy beast with suppressor and optics.  Just under 20 pounds with a full magazine.  

If you are never going to use a suppressor, I'd recommend a DI model, lots of good ones out there.  

SIG customer service is outstanding.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Bought a 716 patrol last year.  Replaced trigger with Geiselle SSA-E.  Installed Leupold VXR 3x9 using LaRue mount. VCAS sling.  Purchased many PMAG 20 and 25 round mags.

It's a little heavy, not too bad.

I've been using it for deer hunting.  Cheap Hornady American Whitetail 150 g shoot well and destroy game.

Not one single problem so far.  German surplus also shoot well.

It's not an AR15 darling,  not enough aftermarket support.  I see many saying they're very happy with theirs.  I am.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 4:13:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Gen 1 716 that came with all of the Magpul furniture. I have never had any problems with it, and that's shooting both brass cased ammo and Tula steel cased.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top