Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2018 10:31:36 AM EDT
On another gun forum I answered an ad for surplus 7.62x54R ammo that was in bad condition, the seller said he fired a few and the cases cracked and where very hard to open the bolt. I gave him a fair price  he was up front that these where not to be shot and I agreed to that so I know what I was getting was  not shootable.

I started pulling them and found a big surprise. When i dumped out the powder I found a lot of rust coming out with the powder.

I contacted the seller and told him what I found and if he had anymore to not shoot any of it. he posted a warning on the  forum I bought them from so others can see it as well.

here is a link the the tread the on the other forum so people can follow it  https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=5184050#post5184050

I did  2 short youtube video showing me pull the bullets and poring out the powder

https://youtu.be/drM4FPslxtw

https://youtu.be/fRLvFbjPyRY
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 10:52:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Thermite rounds!  

Good vids, thanks for the reminder.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 11:23:20 AM EDT
[#2]
https://youtu.be/PchE07iSjQI

this is video of the inside of 3 of the cases showing how much rust was inside of them.

The person that shot the two was really lucky. this should show just how strong these old rifles are.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 4:14:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Unfortunate reality with surplus spam cans, some didn't seal when manufactured or were damaged and punctured in storage/shipping.

I know I had one of the old lead box style that out of the 10 or so rounds we tried had around half would not fire, and half of the ones that worked were hang fires.
Wasn't near as bad as that ammo looks, we ended up pulling the bullets, tumbling them, and been using them for 54 plinking reloads.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 4:28:30 PM EDT
[#4]
What do the paper wrappers look like?
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#5]
A bad spam can is what really got me into reloading, had one of the old Romanian soldered can and over half the cases had badly corroded/holes in the cases. So I ended up with a bunch of 20 cent bullets, even some of the bullets were too badly corroded to be used.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#6]
The thing is there is no rust on the outside of the cases. They where rough to the touch  and darker 1/2 way down.
Nothing like the inside. From the way they looked I doubt that anyone tumbled them any time resent but may have long ago. They do not have any silver paint on the tips but the do attracted to magnet very hard so I know they are steel core.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 10:04:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Bravo Zulu, OP.  That is how to warn people - post on multiple forums w/o diming anyone out and not complaining about the price.  And videos to boot!  What camera did you use to photograph the inside of the cases?
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 10:50:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I knew what I was buying the person selling them  where very clear they where not to be fired. Neither of us knew how bad they where.  So no reason . Once I let him know how bad they where and if he had any more to not shoot them for any reason. He went on Maryland shooters and posted his warning and I just added it it.

I used a cheep  endoscope  I got off eBay. It works good for things like this.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 12:14:24 AM EDT
[#9]
That looks like Bulgarian ammo I had some years ago. The steel core at the bottom rusted and pushed the bullet upward and I could pull the bullet off with my fingers. Some the case cracked. I never had that problem with any other ammo.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 11:04:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Cheap production and storage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top