Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2018 4:45:18 PM EDT
After a long wait, my mortar project is nearing completion.  I'm working overseas, but my tax stamp should be waiting for me in a few weeks when I get home...

Only two things stand between me and hangin' some rounds:  Load data, and modifying my projectiles to accept the shotgun carts.

Does anybody have load data they'd like to share?  I have M69 practice rounds.  What's the best way to modify them to accept the lift charges?
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 8:31:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out www.bonettiordnance.com

Cinti.russ
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 11:52:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Cinti.russ
View Quote
While that was certainly interesting; and I will keep an eye on them to see what they come up with, I'm looking for the 20 gage cart info, and also tips on how to mod my practice rounds.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 9:00:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

While that was certainly interesting; and I will keep an eye on them to see what they come up with, I'm looking for the 20 gage cart info, and also tips on how to mod my practice rounds.
View Quote
Hey brother,

Myself and another FSO spent a long time working through different powders to figure out the closest load to WWII spec that could be reasonably done today for my 60mm.  I just got down working nine 18 hour days in a row, can't remember which powder and what grains off the top of my head, and don't want to dig through my other computer for it.  And am about to crash- but if I don't post more up by tomorrow night please PM me to remind me.  I have you covered.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#4]
No rush... that's exactly what I want to do.  I'll be home in about a week, then I have to see family and that sort of stuff (I've been away for a while)... but I should have a month or two to work on it.

I'll be in touch.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
We are using the Bonetti Ordnance mortars and it keeps things simple for us. Primer is removed and replaced easily, the powder is easily poured into the cup and it's done. We bought ten of them but our biggest problem will be recovery. We just have to move the mortar further back so we can lower arch of trajectory so the rounds don't bury themselves. That and dropping the charge should get us where we want.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#6]
35 grains of Unique should be very, very close to the original loading for the WWII M49A2 charge zero.  Each increment bag should be approximately 30 more grains of Unique.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 7:27:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Here's one of the Bonetti mortar rounds just leaving the tube.

V/R
Ron

Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:38:19 PM EDT
[#8]
That is so damn cool.

I don't even know how to mortar yet.  I'm going to loose all my rounds, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#9]
What are y'all using to hold the increment charges?  I have some ideas, but I'm pretty sure somebody has already cracked that nut (because I really want to loose my projos )

edit:  By 'what are you using to hold the charges?' I mean 'how are you packaging the propellant?'
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:50:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What are y'all using to hold the increment charges?  I have some ideas, but I'm pretty sure somebody has already cracked that nut (because I really want to loose my projos )
View Quote
There are tea bags for making your own tea- soak it in something super flammable, let it dry, then put in 30 grains powder.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There are tea bags for making your own tea- soak it in something super flammable, let it dry, then put in 30 grains powder.
View Quote
Ah.  Tea-bagging.  Should have known.

Link Posted: 6/27/2018 11:46:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Can you nitrite the tea bags like used to be done with .54cal black powder cartridge paper?

Then instead of metal rings with Ts that hold the powder bags, a lightweight nylon fishing string that disintegrates in the lifter charge?
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Can you nitrite the tea bags like used to be done with .54cal black powder cartridge paper?

Then instead of metal rings with Ts that hold the powder bags, a lightweight nylon fishing string that disintegrates in the lifter charge?
View Quote
This is exactly what you do.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 9:26:51 PM EDT
[#14]
What's the best was to modify the M69 practice rounds to accept the 20 gage cartridge?

The UPS man dropped off a cup, and somebody needs to hang some rounds...just a reamer the same diameter as the base of the 20 gage shell? Is anybody doing a relief for the rim, or does that matter?
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I have heard that you don't need to modify them at all except to take out the plug. Someone on subguns said you just need the right size 20ga shells. I removed the plug by drilling the small holes a bit larger, and using a harbor freight adjustable spanner wrench to unscrew it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Any chance of a video on how to operate the Bonetti Ordnance mortars?
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:26:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I spoke to them over the summer and they were working on a video with reloading steps.

cinti.russ
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Witch part do you want to know about?
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 8:43:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Ruff video of the Bonetti motor loading. And pic of spent case.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh99DQ55nV4&feature=youtu.be
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Awesome, thank you. You'll got any videos of a 60mm firing the shells?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have heard that you don't need to modify them at all except to take out the plug. Someone on subguns said you just need the right size 20ga shells. I removed the plug by drilling the small holes a bit larger, and using a harbor freight adjustable spanner wrench to unscrew it.
View Quote
I cut/ground my brass plugs out, but the tail boom is too small of a diameter to accept a 20 gage shell.  Using a dremel and some grinding wheels, I've massaged two of my tail booms to accept the 20 gage carts.  The shotgun shells have to be shortened to fit in the tail boom.  They are friction fit, and are retained nicely.  The rim on the 20 gauge rests against the threads, so the threaded section of the fin assembly didn't require any modification.

It's just a pain in the ass to do.  I finished two, and have another half dozen in process before I got distracted by work stuff.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
35 grains of Unique should be very, very close to the original loading for the WWII M49A2 charge zero.  Each increment bag should be approximately 30 more grains of Unique.
View Quote
No idea how I missed this tidbit, but that's going straight in my large bore DD reloading file, for reference as needed by anyone in the future. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I cut/ground my brass plugs out, but the tail boom is too small of a diameter to accept a 20 gage shell.  Using a dremel and some grinding wheels, I've massaged two of my tail booms to accept the 20 gage carts.  The shotgun shells have to be shortened to fit in the tail boom.  They are friction fit, and are retained nicely.  The rim on the 20 gauge rests against the threads, so the threaded section of the fin assembly didn't require any modification.

It's just a pain in the ass to do.  I finished two, and have another half dozen in process before I got distracted by work stuff.
View Quote
That sounds like a job for a lathe, if ever there was one.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 12:23:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No idea how I missed this tidbit, but that's going straight in my large bore DD reloading file, for reference as needed by anyone in the future. Thanks!
View Quote
Your mileage may vary based on the precision of your bore dimensions, but two arty officers spent a lot of time and money working that out...along with ruined tail fins.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That sounds like a job for a lathe, if ever there was one.
View Quote
The irony is that I have a lathe, but it's not set up, and I'm working out of town at the moment.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 7:53:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Your mileage may vary based on the precision of your bore dimensions, but two arty officers spent a lot of time and money working that out...along with ruined tail fins.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

At the very least, it's a wonderful starting point and I thank you sincerely.

Quoted:

The irony is that I have a lathe, but it's not set up, and I'm working out of town at the moment.
That hurts! I've been in a similar situation before... muddle through as best you can, or wait. Neither is going to be much fun.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 3:05:13 PM EDT
[#27]
I have an approved form1 for a 60mm that i have not started on. Where can i get a tube and a cup?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have an approved form1 for a 60mm that i have not started on. Where can i get a tube and a cup?
View Quote
I have heard this can be livened up to a live firing cup.

Once you have that, I can direct you to the rest of the parts from various suppliers.  Not now though- super busy overseas.

60mm dummy cup
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 1:01:58 AM EDT
[#29]
I purchased my M2 cup and tube from Marshall at Ordnance.com.

He was very helpful with answers to my e-mails.

Best of  luck!

Cinti-russ
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I have heard this can be livened up to a live firing cup.

Once you have that, I can direct you to the rest of the parts from various suppliers.  Not now though- super busy overseas.

60mm dummy cup
View Quote
Thanks I'll look for that to come back in stock.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 3:12:28 PM EDT
[#31]

1942 M2 60mm mortar with TRUMP rounds - Very short video - 1

Video demonstration on the set-up and firing of the M2 60mm mortar
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top