Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2020 1:04:05 PM EDT
I have a Carl Gustav M96b.   It’s been only a fair shooter with Prvi match 120s and prvi 140 fmj factory.  I have tried a few loads with sierra match bullets without stellar results, certainly not worth blowing off my good components via the old girl.  

I am looking for ideas for a reasonably priced plinking target bullets, well at least reasonable and available during normal times.

I hope you swede shooters can help.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 2:29:25 PM EDT
[#2]
A while ago someone on GunBroker was selling large batches of 140 grain HotCor softpoints.  Believed it was ten cents each.  I bought a lot of 2,000.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Midsouth shooters has great plinkers,
Believe they are match monsters.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 3:52:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Take this story at your own risk... but I have a shooting friend that likes to play the CMP Wooden Guns Games and he uses a Swedish Mauser.

He took a batch of these surplus wooden bullets and pulled the wooden projectiles and spilled out the powder. He then neck sized them, re-charged them, seated some Hornady bullets he got on sale, and uses them for these games.

The games are shot at 200 yards only, but with the re-purposed cases as described the gun shoots a fat minute for 10 shot strings.

I used his rig for that game, and was amazed when he told me how cheap his ammo was and how he made it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 4:27:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Midsouth shooters has great plinkers,
Believe they are match monsters.
View Quote

They have potential.   Out of stock at the moment.  

thanks all.  

I have boxes of Noslers, Lapuas, and Sierra match bullets but I think the accuracy of them might be lost on this particular rifle.  I might have some stock fit issues too, the gun isn’t matching numbers so I suspect it isn’t set up per the Swedish accuracy standards.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 4:41:04 PM EDT
[#6]
The German airgun pellet makers, H&N, also produce a wide range of copper coated lead bullets for the European gallery type range practices - up to around 300m

I have some, they are a nice round nosed 140gr bullet
Make for cheap practice

Suggest you look ito these as an option - they make similar bullets in a few other weights/sizes for other classic military rifles too
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The German airgun pellet makers, H&N, also produce a wide range of copper coated lead bullets for the European gallery type range practices - up to around 300m

I have some, they are a nice round nosed 140gr bullet
Make for cheap practice

Suggest you look ito these as an option - they make similar bullets in a few other weights/sizes for other classic military rifles too
View Quote

Thank you, I will look them up.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 8:16:16 PM EDT
[#8]
The H&N top out just over 1000 fps.  Not exactly where I was going.  A nice gallery type load though.  

I was not looking for full military power but 2600 ish.

The least expensive so far was $0.19 each for things like prvi component bullets.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 1:01:01 AM EDT
[#9]
The nosler bullets you have would be a good option, the gun should shoot them well

I load nosler 130 RDF's  for my AG42 shoot great.

I only use them because the RDF's are a dumpster fire in ever rifle I've tried them in and sitting on 2000 of them.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 10:21:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The nosler bullets you have would be a good option, the gun should shoot them well

I load nosler 130 RDF's  for my AG42 shoot great.

I only use them because the RDF's are a dumpster fire in ever rifle I've tried them in and sitting on 2000 of them.
View Quote

I will probably start using some of my Nosler match for the time being.  They’re the cheapest 6.5 I have.  I have loads of suitable powders, RL22, H4831, H4350, Hybrid H100v, Rl19.  Lots of those were dead end powders trying to get 142 SMK to shoot in my precision 260.  Finally went back to Lapua’s 139 gr and 140 SMKs.

No real bargain FMJs at the moment.  Probably never were.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 10:53:52 AM EDT
[#11]
A lot of the gallery ammo with the lead pellet on the front were reloaded
A bullet puller to pop out the pellet
Dump the pistol powder in the case
Reload with rifle powder and bullet
Ready to shoot

Still have two sealed cases of this stuff
Got a good deal on it and then got sidetracked with Finnish nagants
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 11:15:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Cast your own.  

Several guys I know cast their own and load reduced for vintage bolt guns.  They are very accurate at 100yds and have little to no recoil.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/000066.5swed/6halfmm-swedish-170-grain-double-cavity-reproduction-mold
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 12:27:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I've always done well with speer TNT's in any caliber they make them in. Cheap bullet that delivers match accuracy
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I will probably start using some of my Nosler match for the time being.  They’re the cheapest 6.5 I have.  I have loads of suitable powders, RL22, H4831, H4350, Hybrid H100v, Rl19.  Lots of those were dead end powders trying to get 142 SMK to shoot in my precision 260.  Finally went back to Lapua’s 139 gr and 140 SMKs.

No real bargain FMJs at the moment.  Probably never were.
View Quote

Best powder I've used is 4064 in a non semi auto for x55
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 1:59:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top