Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2017 3:39:54 PM EDT
Thinking of buying a shockwave 590 and doing a form 1.

I wonder if these have some goofy staked or pinned nut on the rear grip.

Anybody else thinking of doing this?
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Why do a Form 1?  You want to conceal it that bad?
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 5:16:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Well the thread title says "590 Shockwave + stock", so one would assume he wants to turn it into a SBS and add a stock...

Not sure what concealing has to do with anything.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 8:10:10 AM EDT
[#3]
To answer your question OP, I have thought about doing a F1 on the Shockwave 590 when they become available.  

Seems like a perfect host gun to get a factory configuration 14" 590 SBS.  I do wish they were threaded for choke tubes though.

For those reading who are not familiar with the 590 Shockwave, here is a LINK

"The Shockwave Raptor bird’s head pistol grip is uniquely shaped to minimize felt recoil. Includes all the features that have made Mossberg pump-actions the choice for millions worldwide: ambidextrous safety, dual extractors, positive steel-to-steel lockup, twin action bars, and a smooth operating anti-jam elevator."

"Classified as fully-compliant by the BATFE, this model requires no Tax Stamp for transfers."
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:06:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Well the thread title says "590 Shockwave + stock", so one would assume he wants to turn it into a SBS and add a stock...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Why do a Form 1?  You want to conceal it that bad?

And I give the Sinisiter crap about his reading comprehension.  

Concealing the gun in question would turn it into an AOW - BATFE logic.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I do wish they were threaded for choke tubes though.
View Quote

Don't get too hung up on the choke tube, or lack thereof. I took a defensive shotgun class a year or so ago, and used my 870 SBS. It's got a fixed modified choke. It shot slugs and patterned buck as well as the longer barreled shotguns.

The bigger difference was the people shooting Flite Control ammo, or similar high-tech wads. This made a much bigger difference than the type of choke used.

If you're shooting birds with shot, you absolutely want choke tubes. For a the typical uses of a shorty, no choke or a fixed mod choke will work just fine.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Don't get too hung up on the choke tube, or lack thereof. I took a defensive shotgun class a year or so ago, and used my 870 SBS. It's got a fixed modified choke. It shot slugs and patterned buck as well as the longer barreled shotguns.

The bigger difference was the people shooting Flite Control ammo, or similar high-tech wads. This made a much bigger difference than the type of choke used.

If you're shooting birds with shot, you absolutely want choke tubes. For a the typical uses of a shorty, no choke or a fixed mod choke will work just fine.
View Quote

I agree, as I have a F1 870 I cut to 12.5" and it patterns well enough for most defensive applications.

The added versatility of choke tubes is still appealing though, mostly for shooting cheap buckshot out to longer ranges (~25m)

Also it would be beneficial to those who own a Salvo.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Would putting on a pistol style grip make it an AOW or SBS?
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 4:55:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I've always wondered how long the bbl would be if one used a conventional pistol grip, like a Pachmayr.  16"?  Hardly worth doing, I expect.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:20:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I agree, as I have a F1 870 I cut to 12.5" and it patterns well enough for most defensive applications.
View Quote

One follow-up on that: I bought my SBS used. It had a standard barrel that was just chopped off at 14" and cleaned up (in other words, it's a cylinder bore). The 14" factory barrel I bought for it with a fixed modified choke does shoot noticably tighter groups.

But you are correct in that it's not enough to make any difference at self-defense distances.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 2:48:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've always wondered how long the bbl would be if one used a conventional pistol grip, like a Pachmayr.  16"?  Hardly worth doing, I expect.
View Quote

If you add a conventional pistol grip the barrel length must be at least 18" or it becomes a AOW.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 2:55:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

The rear grip attaches with a bolt just like a factory pistol grip. If I wanted a SBS I'd just order one that way to avoid engraving my trust info.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I want to put a stock on it. Hence 590 Shockwave + stock.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:41:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
To answer your question OP, I have thought about doing a F1 on the Shockwave 590 when they become available.  

Seems like a perfect host gun to get a factory configuration 14" 590 SBS.  I do wish they were threaded for choke tubes though.

For those reading who are not familiar with the 590 Shockwave, here is a LINK

http://www.mossberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/50659-catalog.jpg
View Quote

From the prices I heard from shot show coverage should be sub $450 range.

I think a new Factory SBS 590 cost around 500-600 + stamp. So this should be a cheaper way to get a 14" 590.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Bud's has them available for pre-order $398 delivered.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Bud's has them available for pre-order $398 delivered.
View Quote

I wonder if they have a LE discount on these?
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 3:15:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I wonder if they have a LE discount on these?
View Quote

I just looked, they do not.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I just looked, they do not.
View Quote

Shot them a email about maybe they will do one special for me!
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 4:12:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If you add a conventional pistol grip the barrel length must be at least 18" or it becomes a AOW.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I've always wondered how long the bbl would be if one used a conventional pistol grip, like a Pachmayr.  16"?  Hardly worth doing, I expect.

Hmm.  I don't think that's correct:

http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/500/500-tactical

500 Tactical – JIC
#51340 12 6 18.5" Cylinder Bore Bead 13.875" Matte Blued Synthetic (Black) 28.75" 5.5

15.75" bbl would be the minimum, if the PG did not extend any past the rear of the receiver.  That's what, @ least one more mini-shell in the mag?
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Shot them a email about maybe they will do one special for me!
View Quote

Received email back from Buds and they confirmed no Public Safety discount.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:38:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

15.75" bbl would be the minimum, if the PG did not extend any past the rear of the receiver.  That's what, @ least one more mini-shell in the mag?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  I've always wondered how long the bbl would be if one used a conventional pistol grip, like a Pachmayr.  16"?  Hardly worth doing, I expect.

500 Tactical – JIC
#51340 12 6 18.5" Cylinder Bore Bead 13.875" Matte Blued Synthetic (Black) 28.75" 5.5

Haven't found one in the wild yet, but interested to see how much extra length this would give...

Knoxx gen 3 breachergrip
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 6:21:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 9:54:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Just ordered the Mossberg Shockwave from my LGS for 379.99 and should be in my hands in March
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 9:59:47 PM EDT
[#24]
If you want to F1 it, why not buy a regular stocked 500, and cut the barrel?  Add the barrel/tube cap kit and have pretty much the same thing?  
Unless stocks are that cheap, or you have spares.  The cap kit isn't thatexpensive iirc.

Trying to find a link, but am having difficulty.  Basically, is like a barrel band that is retained by the threaded mag cap, and also covers the end of your cut down barrel, thus hiding any ragged cutting.

Found it Here
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If you want to F1 it, why not buy a regular stocked 500, and cut the barrel?  Add the barrel/tube cap kit and have pretty much the same thing?  
Unless stocks are that cheap, or you have spares.  The cap kit isn't thatexpensive iirc.

Trying to find a link, but am having difficulty.  Basically, is like a barrel band that is retained by the threaded mag cap, and also covers the end of your cut down barrel, thus hiding any ragged cutting.

Found it Here
View Quote

So basically what your saying is:

"Why do it the easy way with a factory configuration host, when you could go through the hassle of cutting the barrel and magazine tube, then pinning on a makeshift barrel band.  Leaving you with a chopped up gun that's difficult to disassemble and has no front sight"

I'm confused, what are you saying the advantage would be again?
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 8:58:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm confused, what are you saying the advantage would be again?
View Quote

Buy $200 shotgun now, wait for f1, add $40 part.

Wait 2-4 months, buy $380 shotgun, wait for f1, add $50 stock.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:17:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Buy $200 shotgun now, wait for f1, add $40 part.

Wait 2-4 months, buy $380 shotgun, wait for f1, add $50 stock.
View Quote

Your not going to get a 590 for $200...

For that price your talking about a Maverick, which is not near as nice of a shotgun as the 590.

Either way, the added cost (less than the cost of a stamp) is well worth it for a job done correctly.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 1:31:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:  Your not going to get a 590 for $200...

For that price your talking about a Maverick, which is not near as nice of a shotgun as the 590.

Either way, the added cost (less than the cost of a stamp) is well worth it for a job done correctly.
View Quote

As far as I'm aware, the differences between the Maverick & the 590 are the FCS, the bbl, & the forend.  The bbl & the forend are replaceable w/ a field strip.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 6:36:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
As far as I'm aware, the differences between the Maverick & the 590 are the FCS, the bbl, & the forend.  The bbl & the forend are replaceable w/ a field strip.
View Quote

Safety location, finish, forearm, and barrel.

Maverick 88
- Blue finish
- Lighter 500 style barrel
- Cross-bar safety located in trigger guard
- Pinned forearm

Mossberg 590
- Parkerized finish
- Heavy barrel
- Thumb safety on receiver
- User changeable forearm
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:17:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

did anyone answer the question?

I would like to form 1 this and put a stock on it as well.  I dont care about any other option or senario.  Can someone give a straight answer?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:33:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

did anyone answer the question?

I would like to form 1 this and put a stock on it as well.  I dont care about any other option or senario.  Can someone give a straight answer?
View Quote

The shockwave grip uses a Allen head bolt through the rear of the grip just like a conventional stock.  Aside from some Loctite on the threads there is nothing that could be done to make the attachment more "permanent".  No one will know if any adhesive is used on the threads until someone gets one in hand, or calls Mossberg.

Regardless, I'm sure Mossberg is quite aware people will be using these as hosts.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:42:42 PM EDT
[#32]
I built my shockwave 590A1 a few years ago. I form 1'd it to make it an SBS. Easy as pie
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top