Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2020 12:26:36 PM EDT
Anyone have any tips on getting RCBS dies to align perfectly in a 550?

I am using RCBS 9mm dies in my 550 and they have a very slight radius to the sizing die so the alignment has to be perfect on the press.

I still on occasion get a thunk on a case that fails to smoothly feed into the die mouth.

I have done an alignment using the Dillon alignment gauge and it is spot on throughout the ram stroke. I checked it about 4 times throughout the travel.

I also shimmed the toolhead because the float made the feed too inconsistent.

I set the died and locked it in place with the ram up and a case in it for alignment.

What else can I try before ordering Dillon dies?
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmm.. I dont have this issue.. I run RCBS dies for some calibers, with no issue. Only time I saw an alignment issue is if I did not set up the shell plate tension correctly
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:45:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hmm.. I dont have this issue.. I run RCBS dies for some calibers, with no issue. Only time I saw an alignment issue is if I did not set up the shell plate tension correctly
View Quote

The shell plate seems to be correct. Tight enough that I don't have flex but loose enough to turn smoothly.  It is a brand new shell plate.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 1:24:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have the locator pins in?
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 1:30:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Do you have the locator pins in?
View Quote

Yep

My dies are an old set but were never used until last year. I think die design has changed to add a bit more radius to the mouth.

Now that I have thought about it they would do it on my Rock Chucker every now and then. The 550 may have a some tolerance stacking going on using old design dies.

My answer will most likely be to get some Dillon dies. 45 year old RCBS dies were not made with a progressive press in mind.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 1:38:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Dillon radius’s their sizing dies a bit more to help them align when using case feeders. I used a EGW .001 undersized die, you have to be super careful adjusting you plate and brass transfer to get it to run 99%. Every so often I crunch a piece of brass. Also helps to run the press real smooth through the stroke.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 3:05:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Redding Pro Series Dies are meant to be used in Dillon presses.  
A shooting buddy has a regular 9MM die in station 1 of his 650 and moved his powder measure over a station and then has a EGW (Lee) U die.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dillon radius’s their sizing dies a bit more to help them align when using case feeders. I used a EGW .001 undersized die, you have to be super careful adjusting you plate and brass transfer to get it to run 99%. Every so often I crunch a piece of brass. Also helps to run the press real smooth through the stroke.
View Quote

On my 650, I was having issues running the EGW/Lee undersize die in station #1 .

It seemed to take a lot of effort to resize a 9mm case.  Plus an alignment issue every now and then getting a case started up into the U die.

So I took the Dillon Powder Measure out of station #2 and moved it to the #3 slot.  Then I moved  the undersize die to the #2 position.

Then I put in either an RCBS  or a  Dillon 9mm decapping/resizing die in station #1.  I did not thread this die down as much into the toolhead

Now it seems to run smoother and there is less effort ...less elbow grease required on the handle to resize the cases.

The Dillon PM has the two tension springs wrapped around the powder bar and “funnel” to ensure the powder bar returns since I can no longer use the failsafe rod.

Bullet seating die is #4.

Lee FCD is #5.

I would think on the 550 it would just be a matter of adjusting the paperclip just so.

You could always try another toolhead.

EDIT:  the 2 9mm resizing dies I am using are both carbide.

If your RCBS 9mm sizing die is 45 years old, is it even carbide?

Link Posted: 8/15/2020 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

On my 650, I was having issues running the EGW/Lee undersize die in station #1 .

It seemed to take a lot of effort to resize a 9mm case.  Plus an alignment issue every now and then getting a case started up into the U die.

So I took the Dillon Powder Measure out of station #2 and moved it to the #3 slot.  Then I moved  the undersize die to the #2 position.

Then I put in either an RCBS  or a  Dillon 9mm decapping/resizing die in station #1.  I did not thread this die down as much into the toolhead

Now it seems to run smoother and there is less effort ...less elbow grease required on the handle to resize the cases.

The Dillon PM has the two tension springs wrapped around the powder bar and “funnel” to ensure the powder bar returns since I can no longer use the failsafe rod.

Lee FCD is #5.

I would think on the 550 it would just be a matter of adjusting the paperclip just so.

View Quote

No it isn’t carbide. I am lightly spraying them with homebrew while they are upside down.

That isn’t the issue at all.  The case mouth catches the die mouth.  

I just sized/primed/belled 100 cases without powder or bullets to check it. It clunked 9 times out of 100.  I just nudged the star a tiny bit and they fed right in.  

It is useable as is but I am ordering a set of Dillon dies unless someone suggests a better product at a better price.

I messed with the paper clip earlier and it may have helped some.

Thick brass like CBC tends to do it more than Blazer.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 8:10:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Lee FCD is #5.

View Quote

I don’t notice extra pressure I lube the brass with One Shot which works for pistol brass. On station 3 of my 650, I have a Mr Bulletfeeder.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 9:37:19 PM EDT
[#10]
a shell plate bearing helps

I got this one  https://www.amazon.com/Hit-Factor-Shooting-Supply-LLC/dp/B075VNLV62

Takes out the last whiff of case wobble without binding

While you're at it get this, JW something, maybe out of production since their amazon listing is gone

Attachment Attached File

When tightening the lock ring on the sizing die, do it when sizing a case with the ring loose, go full upstroke on the ram, then tighten the lock ring

Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:24:26 PM EDT
[#11]
The really old sizing dies were designed for use in single stage presses, and don't give you the slop additional radius you need for a progressive press. As you have noted. I keep the old die sets around in carbide to size pickup, and purchased cases down to minimum specs in a single stage. They also do a great job of reducing the cases diameter at the base. They're sort of the handgun version of a small base sizing die. I'd recommend you buy at least a new style sizing die, but buying a full set of new dies also has merit. Consider a carbide sizer while you're at it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 12:58:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
a shell plate bearing helps

I got this one  https://www.amazon.com/Hit-Factor-Shooting-Supply-LLC/dp/B075VNLV62

Takes out the last whiff of case wobble without binding

While you're at it get this, JW something, maybe out of production since their amazon listing is gone

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/59119/peppers2_jpg-1548135.JPG

When tightening the lock ring on the sizing die, do it when sizing a case with the ring loose, go full upstroke on the ram, then tighten the lock ring

View Quote

I have the primer plate already.  It works great.  I also set the die lock ring with a shell in it and fully up.  

I don't have the bearing but have seen mixed reviews on similar things.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 11:42:48 AM EDT
[#13]
any pattern to the 9 out of 100 cases that don't feed? Same headstamp?  Possible the brass has a dinged rim and not standing up straight to begin with.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#14]

I'd try a LEE or HORNADY sizer die.

Link Posted: 8/16/2020 2:56:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
any pattern to the 9 out of 100 cases that don't feed? Same headstamp?  Possible the brass has a dinged rim and not standing up straight to begin with.  
View Quote

Thicker cases seem to do it more often but all the cases are in good shape, once fired range pick ups.

After discussing it here I am sure it is an old die design issue.  

Off to check out Hornady dies.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 11:57:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 7:33:06 AM EDT
[#17]
The alignment tool helps, but slop in worn linkage can still cause the case mouth to catch on the die.

Hold the lever parallel to the floor.  Move handle left &  right. Watch to see if the platform/ shell plate moves.  My old RL-450  will move out of allignment.   The 45 acp case  will cause stopage when it hits the die mouth.
Reloading 45 ACP on a Dillon RL-450

My die is RCBS from the 1970s.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 8:18:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The alignment tool helps, but slop in worn linkage can still cause the case mouth to catch on the die.

Hold the lever parallel to the floor.  Move handle left &  right. Watch to see if the platform/ shell plate moves.  My old RL-450  will move out of allignment.   The 45 acp case  will cause stopage when it hits the die mouth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpbAvZacynk

My die is RCBS from the 1970s.
View Quote

Mine has some slop.  I most likely will get new pins for in the future.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Update

Issue solved. As I thought the old dies chamfer was the issue.  I horse traded a ton of reloading stuff for a home build AR less the buffer/spring and BCG.  I came out even on the trade.  Two sets of dies, 4lb of CFE (223 and Pistol), 1k pistol primers, and a bunch of 243/9mm bullets and a few odds and ends.  

He is also casting 1k of 9mm 115gr and PC them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top