Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2020 4:33:08 AM EDT
Short of a suppressor, are their any muzzle devices for 50 BMG that reduce the muzzle blast apparent to the shooter? Some sort of linear comp or flash can type of device?
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 8:08:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Short of a suppressor, are their any muzzle devices for 50 BMG that reduce the muzzle blast apparent to the shooter? Some sort of linear comp or flash can type of device?
View Quote
I tried to find it and can't but there is a guy shooting with and without the brake and it was very violent. I would imagine any type of linear comp would be a hot mess to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 11:56:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I use the AR-50 brake on any 50BMG rifle I modify because it is known to be near the best of any brake made. The K&P brake is better but heard (hope I'm wrong) that Kenny will no longer be making them as his barrel making is taking all his time. (K&P make cut rifled barrels to almost any specification.) Suppressors do a poor job of reducing recoil, even the Barrett with how they position the brake.

I will follow to hopefully learn new suppressors for 50's.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not so worried about recoil (I mean, as long as it isn't so much I'm going to damage the rifle or literally break me), just trying to just not blow my ears out. Even with double ear protection, it's way too loud as is.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#5]
There is no fix for the noise situation outside of a suppressor. A super long barrel would be a little better (like an M2) but not real practical and hard on recoil as mentioned. The few people I've talked to with suppressors on bolt guns say the recoil is still harsh.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not so worried about recoil (I mean, as long as it isn't so much I'm going to damage the rifle or literally break me), just trying to just not blow my ears out. Even with double ear protection, it's way too loud as is.
View Quote

You need to get better Ear protection.
I've been shooting 50 cals and large bore rifles for decades and with good double ear protection properly used, you should have no issues with noise.

SJC
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 8:04:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You need to get better Ear protection.
I've been shooting 50 cals and large bore rifles for decades and with good double ear protection properly used, you should have no issues with noise.

SJC
View Quote

Meh I find it pretty annoying as well but still like them. Even with top notch plugs and muffs you still have the blast and bystanders are rarely as well protected.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 9:41:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the highest NRR ear plugs + the highest NRR muffs and it's still loud, which is why I'm considering swapping my brake. Doesn't sound like there are many options out there though.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 11:39:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I feel ya. Next 50 I own will also include a silencer for this reason. Much more enjoyable...at least at high elevation
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 9:45:03 PM EDT
[#10]
It depends on the brake design.  The one I bought a few years ago from the Boys Rifle dealer whose name escapes me is a very efficient design that is not obnoxious if you are behind it and within +/-15° of the bore axis.  Outside of that cone, forget it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 1:49:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Your shooting the biggest cartridge before having to go DD and noise is part of the deal.
Unless you add 30 pounds to the rifle or shoot subsonic rounds, shooting with a suppressor isn't going to be fun.
I purposely bring my 50's to the range to clear the shooting benches out around me.
I take social distancing seriously and my 50's do the job well !

SJC

Link Posted: 3/27/2020 1:53:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Having one of the heaviest 50's and then adding a 10 lb. can to it makes it easy peasy to shoot.

F-youtube links on here....search for Form 1 50 BMG Suppressor...look for my name.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 2:00:04 AM EDT
[#13]
So far I have 2 votes for the AR-50 brake (is this one we are talking about https://news.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/armalite_muzzlebrake0125111-300x166.jpg ?) and I think that's it...

Anything else?

How about the "Terminator" T6 brakes (https://terminatorproducts.co.nz/t6-brake/)?
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 2:54:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes that's the Armalite brake. The Terminator looks pretty generic. Really similar to what Serbu uses. The Armalite brake has the little wings and they say that's what makes the difference but I have never been around them at the same time as others to compare. I really wouldn't go out and spend the money because I think you will be disappointed. At the very least try and find one to shoot even though that's hard especially with these guns.

Short of building a little ground shield or other barrier there just aren't many options.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 3:02:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Short of building a little ground shield or other barrier there just aren't many options.
View Quote
Maybe I'll start bringing the sand bags!
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 3:11:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I almost built something similar for when we shot off the ground in the snow. Figured it would keep some off you.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 3:27:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#18]
For a $275 deposit + shipping, I'll lend you the brake off of my AR-50.  Try it, ship it back and buy yourself a new one if you like it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 6:19:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Did OP ever state which gun he has? Unfortunately there are a couple different threads used and Armalite and Barrett are different if I remember correctly. There should definitely be a standardized thread with how expensive the brakes and suppressor adapters are.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 1:53:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Mine is the cast and is 1" - 14 tpi.

Link Posted: 3/29/2020 10:30:19 AM EDT
[#22]
My Tac 50 and Ar50 had the same brake threads and when I was hunting with the Tac 50, I'd use the small McMillan fishgill brake and when I was shooting a Match, I'd used the Armalite brake.
No change in POI when swapping brakes, but the AR50 brake sure made a difference in felt recoil.
SJC
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 9:45:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I use a blast board with my shooting setup - WHY - because my eyes were graying out after shooting 3 classes of FCSA Competitions with about 90+ intense rounds fired daily for 2+ days Match Competitions. Now days I only shoot two classes as my eyes are getting worse at age 67+.

My setup can be viewed on FCSA homepage with direction to Alliance site for photos - I use the only wooden base blast board setup now, but previously another shooter used it before making his own base board.

His shorter actioned rifle caused my blast board to catch fire as his brake was much closer than ever intended.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#24]
This is what is currently on my rifle and what rattles my ears and for which I am searching a replacement.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/29/2020 10:48:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Are you inserting the earplugs fully and properly?
Unfortunately, many people are ignorant of the proper technique and then wonder why the earplugs are not "doing their job".
These diagrams explain.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/29/2020 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes. I normally wear some Surefire EP3s for most shooting. When I have the .50 out, I switch to 33NRR foam plugs +34NRR muffs. Plugs are in good.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 11:56:51 PM EDT
[#27]
The concussion of the blast hitting your face can be just as bad.  I don't call my .50 BMG a nasal cleanser for no reason.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#28]
The Armalite brake will be a lot better than the current brake your using, if it's the same thread pitch.
SJC
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 10:56:44 PM EDT
[#29]
I pulled my brake today and it's 14TPI. Outside of threads measure .9955, so seems I have 1-14 threads. So now the question is, where do I find an AR-50 brake and jam nut?
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 12:29:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Found that earlier but they are in Canada and don't make it easy to export.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 8:49:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Have you tried Armalite? They're in Phoenix.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Have you tried Armalite? They're in Phoenix.
View Quote

Emailed them yesterday.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 11:38:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I pulled my brake today and it's 14TPI. Outside of threads measure .9955, so seems I have 1-14 threads. So now the question is, where do I find an AR-50 brake and jam nut?
View Quote

I have extra jam nuts if you need one - I don't use any as I time my brake carefully on lathe to match Receiver while doing a rebarrel or setback.

Thread outside diameter must always be less than full diameter to allow for rounding of top of thread to prevent jamming into root of internal thread. 0.005" is typical for most threads. Steel filing of thread tops is acceptable process if full contour threading insert is not utilized.

Armalite Brakes are in high demand = so good luck getting one.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top