Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2021 12:17:58 PM EDT
Very interesting bullet design. Velocity in this case was = to the M33 ball. Accuracy was the best of the ammo I had access to for working on this project. Just wish they didn't sell them in 50rd lots
macros: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmUJd4Fd
American Marksman: M1022 LR

Rare Ammo: M1022 LR, 50 BMG, American Marksman

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the sectioned look. That doesn't seem too bad to copy - I just wish it were legal to create the original AP type. ETA: Unless .50BMG is still safely not considered to fall under "projectiles or projectile cores which may be used in a handgun"? I genuinely don't know.

The phrasing from AM makes me wonder if the projectiles they used to load that ammo are in fact original or if they're replicas.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:17:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:18:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the sectioned look. That doesn't seem too bad to copy - I just wish it were legal to create the original AP type. ETA: Unless .50BMG is still safely not considered to fall under "projectiles or projectile cores which may be used in a handgun"? I genuinely don't know.

The phrasing from AM makes me wonder if the projectiles they used to load that ammo are in fact original or if they're replicas.
View Quote
From what I understand they are the original M1022 LR rounds that they demilled and some of the info I have read said whoever made the M1022LR used/owned the PPI designs?

To my understanding there is no mass produced 50 BMG Pistol, so AP rounds are still legal for import and sale from FFLs
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
From what I understand they are the original M1022 LR rounds that they demilled and some of the info I have read said whoever made the M1022LR used/owned the PPI designs?

To my understanding there is no mass produced 50 BMG Pistol, so AP rounds are still legal for import and sale from FFLs
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll have to confirm that - luckily enough there's at least one really great IOI out here - but I may have to do a short run of Athena type AP projectiles. If I do make some then you're getting ten for testing - no question there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 2:03:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 2:26:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
3rd rail, what type of material are you planning on using? If you can find someone to do a short run, I'd be interested in some.
Say about 20 or possibly more of them and if you need help paying for them, I will kick in some cash.

I'm going to the desert in May and would like to send some down range at 1000+ yards. See how they do at long and really long if we set up the 2000 yard target. Let me know how they come out.
View Quote

I generally use pure copper for jackets. As far as the core - probably something like S5 or S7 would be suitable and then some. Very little issue with overall cost on a small run as materials are almost always going to be worth less than my time. For an 8' stick of S-7 I think I pay about $35-40 delivered these days.

I'll have to first buy some of the M1022 to get exact dimensions and I'll see how feasible this is after that's done.

To be honest there's zero chance I'll have time to produce anything like this by May.

ETA: Especially since I just realized I'll have to also make a dedicated swaging die. I don't have any other interlocking cores/carrier designs like this in this size so I have no tooling ready to put them together.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 2:48:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I haven't looked at AM's site but it would be nice if they sold the 1022 in 10 round boxes. Don't need to buy 50 of them at a time at $7 a round.

From the video, I wasn't that impressed they cost that much and couldn't do MOA. I can load AMAX for way less and get better results.

Now if they were $3 a round I wouldn't mind the price. I think they're betting on some kind of nostalgia for faux military ammo.
View Quote
The lack of accuracy could have been on me as well :D
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 4:36:06 PM EDT
[#10]
At $7 it's on par with production Amax. Why buy this stuff if true match loads are available?

I guess I'm just rephrasing what you've said above, but seems illogical to spend this much on reman rounds.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
At $7 it's on par with production Amax. Why buy this stuff if true match loads are available?

I guess I'm just rephrasing what you've said above, but seems illogical to spend this much on reman rounds.
View Quote
Is the AMAX considered the most accurate load for 50? (limited knowledge of 50 BMG ammo outside of standard military loadings)
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 5:09:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Can't answer if it's the best, but it has a good BC and load consistency based on the production ammo I've seen available.

Hornady load data for the 750gn A-MAX Match
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 5:28:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 5:28:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Stop digging on the M1022 or I'll really hesitate to buy any just for taking apart!
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 5:51:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 6:00:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Being an AR-50 owner and knowing that it has a lot of freebore, I can seat AMAX out pretty far.

View Quote

I don't know of anyone who can hit the lands with a factory AR50 with AMAX. My AR50 would have the bullet outside the case at the lands, but it still shot very well with AMAX.

The AMAX is a great bullet for what it is. I had a couple of groups in the 4"s, and one in the 3"s at 1000 yds. in my ALS.
Even the factory AR50 shot in the 8"s a couple of times.

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks a ton for sharing the comparison. That's a long load you've got there!

How do the prices on the Lehigh solids compare to the AMAX?
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 8:29:57 AM EDT
[#20]
@Buffman_LT1

I figured I should ask - do you happen to have a couple of rounds left which you might part with?

It's hard for me to swallow buying 50 rounds for $350 when I only need a couple to disassemble and section for thorough measuring.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:00:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@Buffman_LT1

I figured I should ask - do you happen to have a couple of rounds left which you might part with?

It's hard for me to swallow buying 50 rounds for $350 when I only need a couple to disassemble and section for thorough measuring.
View Quote

@Third_Rail yes I could spare 2
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 11:29:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Buffman_LT1

Perfect! IM sent.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 12:48:18 PM EDT
[#23]
@Buffman_LT1

Thank you kindly. I'll likely be sectioning one and disassembling the other this coming week.

I'm leaning towards an S7 core and 220 bronze for the sabot if swaged or C110 if turned. We'll see which ends up being more practical to make in relatively small numbers.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:27:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
@Buffman_LT1

Thank you kindly. I'll likely be sectioning one and disassembling the other this coming week.

I'm leaning towards an S7 core and 220 bronze for the sabot if swaged or C110 if turned. We'll see which ends up being more practical to make in relatively small numbers.
View Quote
Not sure if you found it, but I recovered one of the cores from the backstop and threw it in the box. Not sure if it would be helpful at all, but thought it was cool I found it :D
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:33:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Not sure if you found it, but I recovered one of the cores from the backstop and threw it in the box. Not sure if it would be helpful at all, but thought it was cool I found it :D
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Buffman_LT1

I did indeed! A fun little desk piece for sure. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I was one of the snipers that did the end user eval on this ammo in the mid-2000s.

From the presentation:

"The Army has a current need for Long Range Sniper Ammunition (LRSA) for use against enemy personnel at extended ranges.
Currently, there are no rounds of ammunition that will meet the accuracy requirements of the M107 Long Range Sniper Rifle (LRSR) in the Army inventory.
The M8 Armor Piercing Incendiary (API) and the Sabot Light Armor-Penetrating (SLAP) rounds penetrate armor, but do not produce the required accuracy at the range necessary for Sniper missions.
The primary advantage of the LRSA is its increased accuracy for the anti-personnel portion of the mission of the M107 LRSR.
The XM1022 is significantly less expensive than the MK211, making it more economically attractive for sustainment training.
The LRSA will be employed and maintained by combat, combat support, and combat service support units.
Capabilities Required:
 Operable in all mission scenarios in terms of mission profiles, tactical employment, and environmental conditions as the current HE, AP, and MP ammunition.
 Similar in nature the MK211 multi-purpose round but must demonstrate greater accuracy on personnel targets than the MK211 through its entire trajectory (Threshold)
 Capable of penetrating standard Personal Armor System Ground Troops (PASGT) out to the maximum range of 1000 meters.
 Capable of maintaining 1.0 Minute of Angle (MOA) when fired from a precision test barrel out to the maximum effective range of the M107 LRSR."

What we found after test:
No significant benefit over M33 Ball except it's "green" and you don't have to delink it. The gun was the limiting factor for accuracy.
Drastic loss of capability compared to Mk211 against hard targets and nobody wanted to carry two types of ammo in combat.
They were billing it as anti-personnel, but the gun is not great at anti-personnel past 600m with its 3-4 MOA accuracy.
It sucks for training because there is no down range feedback for rapid 2nd shot correction as with M8 and Mk211.
Most ranges that are large enough for the .50 cal SDZ are AT ranges and dudded anyway.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:32:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I was one of the snipers that did the end user eval on this ammo in the mid-2000s.

From the presentation:

"The Army has a current need for Long Range Sniper Ammunition (LRSA) for use against enemy personnel at extended ranges.
Currently, there are no rounds of ammunition that will meet the accuracy requirements of the M107 Long Range Sniper Rifle (LRSR) in the Army inventory.
The M8 Armor Piercing Incendiary (API) and the Sabot Light Armor-Penetrating (SLAP) rounds penetrate armor, but do not produce the required accuracy at the range necessary for Sniper missions.
The primary advantage of the LRSA is its increased accuracy for the anti-personnel portion of the mission of the M107 LRSR.
The XM1022 is significantly less expensive than the MK211, making it more economically attractive for sustainment training.
The LRSA will be employed and maintained by combat, combat support, and combat service support units.
Capabilities Required:
 Operable in all mission scenarios in terms of mission profiles, tactical employment, and environmental conditions as the current HE, AP, and MP ammunition.
 Similar in nature the MK211 multi-purpose round but must demonstrate greater accuracy on personnel targets than the MK211 through its entire trajectory (Threshold)
 Capable of penetrating standard Personal Armor System Ground Troops (PASGT) out to the maximum range of 1000 meters.
 Capable of maintaining 1.0 Minute of Angle (MOA) when fired from a precision test barrel out to the maximum effective range of the M107 LRSR."

What we found after test:
No significant benefit over M33 Ball except it's "green" and you don't have to delink it. The gun was the limiting factor for accuracy.
Drastic loss of capability compared to Mk211 against hard targets and nobody wanted to carry two types of ammo in combat.
They were billing it as anti-personnel, but the gun is not great at anti-personnel past 600m with its 3-4 MOA accuracy.
It sucks for training because there is no down range feedback for rapid 2nd shot correction as with M8 and Mk211.
Most ranges that are large enough for the .50 cal SDZ are AT ranges and dudded anyway.
View Quote

Interesting thanks.  Yeah this whole idea of developing MOA accuracy ammo for anti-personnel use is strange when you're using it in a short recoil rifle.  I get maybe 2MOA from my M107A1 on a good day.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top