Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2018 1:23:34 PM EDT
I seem to remember a thread about some issues with a particular year of Lake City 50 BMG brass.  I have tried to search the site and the archives and I can't locate it.  I found some LC10 for a good price but for some reason I think that is the year with the issues.

Anyone remember this?

Thanks..

Edit....thought I would try here with the masters of the 50 before I go to the reloading forum.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#1]
The most recent thread here titled "Ok guys, teach me about the Armalite AR-50 .50bmg. Im getting one... GOT IT ! (Page 1 of 2)" refers to LC12 specifically, with a general 80's-00's statement. I'd like to know more myself.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 11:02:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Learn to properly ANNEAL your 50BMG brass = this will solve many of your problems caused by brittle brass.

Clean casings first,
Then ANNEAL neck and 1/2" of shoulder,
Resize with lanolin/alcohol mix for case lube,
Wipe off,
Load.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 11:55:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help.  I guess it was in the "I got a new AR-50" thread where I read that.  My search fu was weak.

I've been reloading for my AR-50 for over 10 years, used a lot of LC, some Santa Barbara, Barrett, and Hornady brass mostly.  Never had an issue with LC.  Getting those staked primer crimps out of the SB was a lot of work.

Found some LC 10 and just wanted to make sure I wasn't throwing my money away.  I'll ask about warranty.

Thanks again.....
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 12:57:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Alot of the recent LC and some WCC I've seen has occlusions that appear to have been created in the necks and shoulders during the case drawing/forming process.  It doesn't affect reuse that much if you're reloading 50bmg, but if reforming to 50DTC, they tend to split.  Much of the LC75 brass will split along the case wall during fire-forming to DTC too.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#6]
LC12!  It is so thick/stiff that you will absolutely hate working with it.  It is cheaper than other years but that's for good reason.  If you don't mind bending or breaking your press handle, then, by all means, get some LC12.  I bent a press handle and got a solid one to replace it.  Then instead of the handle bending, my bench broke away where the press was mounted.  That stuff is just bad news. Mine just sits in a corner because it's too expensive to scrap.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top